[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - 2010 - any news?
The Avalanches

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 4:41 pm 

modular has a booking agency who looks after both my acts in australia and i used to drunkenly hassle people about it. i think the first time i heard someone tell me they'd heard 8 new avalanches tracks was in early 2008 and while i believe that person to be in a position at modular to be in on such a listening, i wouldn't have a clue if any of those are now on a album.

i haven't heard anything in many months but i stopped asking long ago so who knows, when i did happen to ask anyone throughout 2009 even modular employees hadn't really heard a thing, except that it did exist in some state and was being worked on by both the label at some level and the band. towards the end people did seem to think it was actually in a sample clearing process, but the fact that label employees didn't really know anything solid could be a bad omen.

my gut would be to trust that it'll be out sometime late this year but i haven't been waiting half as long as some of you guys, so maybe my cynicism hasn't been tempered by the taste of disappointment yet :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 1:36 pm 

i hope someone close to the band is making a documentary of the ongoing process to make this album.

Post subject: Not Really News!
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:23 pm 

the latest Australian Rolling Stone magazine has an article (or review, can't remember) on Sally Seltmann's new record. She's going under her own name these days, post-Fiest on Sesame Street and all. Anyway, it mentions in brief throwaway style that Sally gave birth to her first child, to husband Darren Seltmann, in 2008.

two points:

1) Remember a few months ago I hypothesised that family could be taking priority for The Avalanches?

2)Much respect for any recording artist who keeps their private life truly private, as these two manage to do.

X! Pen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 7:41 am 

Well, Darren, baby needs new shoes....time to put a record out, bro!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:00 pm 

I have high hopes for this fall/winter. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:35 am 
Site Admin

groovypanda wrote:
Their profile on the Modular site has this to say:

Quote:
After an overlong silence, the ever-mythical album number two is said to be very near.

^ i hear ariel pink is recording some guest vocals for it and once those are done, the album will be finished (!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:04 am 

Whoa whoa whoa......MAJOR news much? A spoiler on cameo appearances AND a status report? That one little half a sentence is more info than we have had in yEARS!!!! Can anyone confirm or comment on this? This is HUGE!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:25 pm 

Wow! Have just been listening to "Round & Round" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti" today. Exciting indeed. Ta for the heads-up Clint!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:00 pm 

The new Ariel Pink album is fantastic, this is awesome news, thanks Clint. That's about as much confirmation as were gonna get for now i think, and more than enough to get me pretty damn excited. Now I'm left wondering what type of album they've gone and put together.. Summer in Aus with a new Avs record, it couldn't get any better than that, my fingers are crossed.

Post subject: album 2 guests
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:27 pm 

Cool news Clint!! And classily delivered, too. It even got relayed on P-fork. I wonder why they didn't report some years ago when word of Luke Steele doing vocals for the Avs came up?

Mind you, Luke Steele has had his finger in enough pies since then (2005ish?) I reckon. Maybe the album has changed since then and Luke no longer fits. I sure hope so - that guy is a jerk!! :lol:

And remember the PATTON/Avs collab? I emailed his label about it and they replied that The Avalanches never appeared on his collaboration albums because "They didn't get their stuff in on time." Easy to believe!!

Here's a humble prediction: Van Dyke Parkes will guest on the Avs album in some way. 1) He seems to keep close ties with the Seltmanns (check New Buffalo albums) and 2) The Avalanches are on record as saying they envisioned VDP as the vocalist for "Since I Left You" way back when.

Love, Penny!

Last edited by Penny Lopez on Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:38 pm 

Well speaking of artists who have supposedly collaborated with the Avalanches, I wonder if we'll ever hear the thing that they were doing with Mike Patton when he was working on his Peeping Tom album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:57 pm 

Wait what…? Vocals…?

Anyway, I'm not going to get excited until I see artwork.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:58 pm 

Boy, cyberspace has exploded with this one! It's even in The Guardian :shock:

Nice way to go "viral" Clint (I believe that's how the young people refer to it . . .) :wink:

Happy days indeed anyway!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:11 pm 

ToxicBob wrote:
Well speaking of artists who have supposedly collaborated with the Avalanches, I wonder if we'll ever hear the thing that they were doing with Mike Patton when he was working on his Peeping Tom album.

AAHH Toxic Bob, that's what I meant! I got Rollins / Patton confused ... I have since edited my original post to reflect MIKE PATTON as the artist, not Mr. Rollins.

My Bad,
Penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:00 am 

swordswinga wrote:
Yeh, I wouldn't get hopes up. Pretty sure the sessions with mr pink didn't go that well.

based on anything concrete?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:05 am 

everyone come to terms with the fact we probably won't get our fix this year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:50 pm 

Yeah ... I have to admit that after learning that the Seltmanns are now based in Sydney (where Sally is originally from and was involved in bands like Lustre4 and SPDFGH) i felt my unwaivering faith .. well, waiver. ever so slightly.

Plenty of creative partners live 1000s of miles apart (Animal Collective?) but still, it can't help speed up proceedings.

Also Darren Seltmann seems to be the drummer in Sally Seltmann's current touring band. He's sporting a repulsive mo at the moment.

Love,
penny

New Topic Post Reply  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next