It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Field Day 2016
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:39 pm 

So I went to see The Avalanches at Field Day yesterday.

I suspect that the set was very much along the lines of the Primavera gig… and it was pretty disappointing. I'm struggling to think of any highlights… the crowd got going with a few bits of afrobeat Fela Kuti and (I think) Tabou Combo, but people were drifting off well before the end, and the place was emptying fast before Frankie Sinatra (which was well received) Subways and a half-hearted halfway out the door play of SILY…

I know no one goes to see the Avalanches DJ expecting it to be super polished, but you do expect decent, interesting tune selection, and some sort of thread/coherence in and around things.

But this started off with noise, was incoherent, messy and poorly conceived. It sounded as though they were making it up as they went, although the similarity with comments about Primavera suggest that this can't have been the case. I wonder if they were originally planning a live show, but weren't ready in time so cobbled this lot up at v short notice…?

I'm glad I went, but it was pretty poor fare… let's hope the album brings a bit of good news.

Simon

Post subject: Re: Field Day 2016
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:04 pm 

thanks for the report. robbie posted on instagram that they will debut a live band show very soon at an upcoming show (i forget which one). so hopefully that project is taking up their energies & it will make for a better live experience.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:25 am 

lossless wrote:
thanks for the report. robbie posted on instagram that they will debut a live band show very soon at an upcoming show (i forget which one). so hopefully that project is taking up their energies & it will make for a better live experience.

When they're back in Aus… Splendour?

Simon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:41 am 

Thanks for the report mate! Sorry to hear it did not live up to expectations. I've seen mixed reviews across social media - maybe the guys are a bit rusty :lol:
Still have high hopes for 'Wildflower' though!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:45 am 

goldfish wrote:
lossless wrote:

When they're back in Aus… Splendour?

Simon

that's right - i just checked - it's splendour, 7/24.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]