[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - Floatin' my boat...
The Avalanches

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 am 

TIME_IS_IN_LOVE wrote:
wrong

its jack herer

http://www.jackherer.com/

It's a miracle I knew who *I* was when I left Amsterdam...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:38 am 

UHT/masters@work/flevans/hint/ananda project/blue bogaloo/me&you/beat conductor.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:30 pm 

The other day I found a CD i burnt years ago any never really listened to.

It has the Gerling Album - When Young Terrorists Chase The Sun.

Its brilliant it not only contains Dust Me Selecta but has a few Avalanchesque sounding tracks on it. One track even features Kool Keith.

Check it out if ya can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:36 am 

Late of the Pier - Bathroom Gurgle

Bohemian Rhapsody for the nu-rave generation, produced by friend of theavalanches.com, Erol Alkan. So basically genius in a box.

Feist - 1234

Know I'm a bit late on this, but I've got the horn for a fatPod, and it's at least partly down to this song. Which I've just discovered was written by a certain Sally Seltman, aka New Buffalo, aka Dazzler's considerably more attractive other half.

Operator Please - Just a song about ping pong (Kissy Sellout Mix)

Silly fun, in a Van She/NYPC kind've stylee.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:16 am 

Forgot about this one...

Múm - Go Go Smear the Poison Ivy

Very difficult to describe. Sort've halfway betweek Sigur Ros and Architecture in Helsinki...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:43 pm 

over the last few months i have been mainly listening to:

future rock strategy

excellent, extremely chilled album of dub/house/ambient/rock/whatever and highly recommended

night falls over kortedala jens lekman

fantastic second album proper from the lovelorn sampling swede. if you didn't like his earlier work you probably won't like this, but if you did you'll love it.

bombshell king creosote

i'm a big fan of kenny anderson and whilst initially non-plussed by this album it's a real grower and a lot more accomplished than some of his earlier stuff. i was also lucky enough to see him play live at the point in cardiff (which is a tiny venue) a few weeks ago and he was fucking awesome. support band port of brien seemed interesting too and i've been meaning to track some of their stuff down.

hey venus super furry animals

what can you say about the best band in the world that hasn't already been said elsewhere. another grower of an album that may well become my favourite SFA album of all (and i'm a huge fan). absolute pop genius.

oblivion with bells underworld

been caning this one the past couple of weeks and it's a marked improvement over the poor a hundred days off. still not scaling the heights of their earlier output but there's some good tunes here and the overall feel is much more chilled than previous albums

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:20 pm 

ooh, completely forgot:

fancy footwork chromeo

brilliant, funky album that has definite prince influences (when he was good) and lots of vocoder goodness. one that demands to be played loud and sung along too. their sense of humour reminds me a bit of datarock too. well worth checking out

red light don't stop elektrons

kind of an eclectic party hip hop album from former unabombers with lots of guests such as jurassic 5 and you can listen to a couple of tunes here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:49 pm 

cannot help from listening permanently to air ce matin là & blue boogaloo ch3vy in the past few days
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:06 am 

Good call on the Gerling and Mum, been on constant rotation. Am getting through the rest of the recommendations, so many great things.

Couple of things that have also been doing it for me. Toronto based band Holy Fuck have just released a LP after tantalising me with a tasty EP. :

Quote:
Holy Fuck is a lo-fi improvisational electronica band from Toronto, Canada. They are a part of Dependent Music, a music label/collective that began in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia in 1994, and have been called "Toronto's evil supergroup"[1],

The band uses live instrumentation and miscellaneous instruments and non-instruments (including a 35 mm film sequencer) to achieve electronic-sounding effects without the use of laptops or programmed backing tracks. According to Pitchfork Media, "The band was formed with the intent of creating the equivalent of modern electronic music without actually using the techniques-- looping, splicing, programming and the like-- of that music." [2]

Since their formation in 2004, Holy Fuck have performed at Coachella (supporting Brooklyn rapper Beans who recruited the band to serve as his backing unit), the CMJ Music Marathon, POP Montreal, the Montreal Jazz Festival, All Tomorrow’s Parties, Vegoose, and Evolve. They played at the SXSW music festival in Austin, Texas in 2006 and 2007, toured the US with Wolf Parade, !!!(Chk Chk Chk), Mouse on Mars, Cornelius, Do Make Say Think, and went on a European tour with Buck 65 in spring 2006. In January 2006 they were named one of ten finalists for the $3,000 Galaxie Rising Stars Award Of The CBC, part of Canadian Music Week's Indie Awards held in March [3]. In September 2006, they played at the Osheaga Festival in Montréal. In the summer of 2007, Holy Fuck were invited to perform at the Glastonbury Festival, one of the largest music festivals in the world, where they were named the #3 top new act at the festival by NME magazine.

Their eponymous debut album, recorded with Laurence Currie and Dave Newfeld (Broken Social Scene, Apostle of Hustle), was named one of the Montreal Mirror's top ten albums of 2005. Their music has been described as a "strangely melodic and pulse pounding free-form fusion of the heavy chug and groove rock of Trans Am and the quirkiness of Beck rolled into one mesmerising viewing and listening experience."

Next up is Battles Mirrored, math rock supposedly ?! Its great whatever it is.

[quote]
All great battles come equipped with a certain aura of anticipation. When considering the moment that the forces of Octavian under Agrippa met the combined power of Marc Antony and Cleopatra at Actium, one can’t help but reflect that it had been a long time coming. Tensions had been brewing on the Senate floor years beforehand, and events had slowly, yet steadily escalated to hate-fueled skirmishes. But despite the tolls taken, few could have expected the blood-soaked watery grave at Actium. The fiery crash of Mirrored has a similar impact. Preceded by last year’s collection of two 2004 EPs, EP C/B EP, this highly anticipated debut LP had fans of the group waiting with baited breath, fogging up many a window. What it would sound like and what sort of impression it would leave on the soil beneath the feet of its marching masses, few knew. It’s no stretch to say Mirrored comes as a bit of a surprise attack.

The math-rock supergroup and reigning math league state champions have laid their calculators at their feet and procured from the depths of their shirt pockets mighty swords and axes. Being a million things at once in its 50-minute runtime without misstepping or missing a beat, Mirrored finds the band incorporating their short-form EP formula into a full-length value meal. It easily flips most expectations onto their heads and shakes their lunch money to the ground, in a Revenge of the Nerds scenario. Then the album pillages and plunders.

Open up the deceptively diminutive CD case and you’re standing at the head of an image of a great arsenal. A pullout poster disguised as liner notes magnifies the situation at hand: Battles’ weaponry could crush down to the soul. The band keep the listener under the impression that they employ every instrument known to man or beast. (A cymbal suspended at least four feet above drummer John Stanier’s head suggests a call to action for a giraffe or Mr. Fantastic.) With former members of powerhouses such as Don Caballero and Helmet gracing the trenches, Battles rock the shit out constantly. “Tontoâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:12 am 

the new radiohead, 5 songs in...good stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:44 pm 

Shinichi Osawa - The One

Possibly a bit 4-to-the-floor for around here, but if you like your dance music and are a fan of some old school ravey noises and hands in the air nonsense, you should check this out. Superb cheesed up version of the Chems Star Guitar too. Check out The Golden too...

Hot Chip - Shake a Fist

This is brilliant. Completely changes halfway through, with properly demented interlude and lots of farty bass sounds. Aces.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:04 am 

iron and wine - 'the shepherd's dog'.

i think this is going to be my favourite album of the year, i can't get these - mostly chorus-less - songs out of my head.

Post subject: Record Producer - The Way
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:49 pm 

Record Producer - The Way

Heard this song today on Triple J.

Its sounds pretty cool, the mystery behind who it actually is intrigues me.

Definitely check it out on there myspace:

http://www.myspace.com/recordproduceraus

lotsa samples in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:34 am 

Yeah "the way" is pretty good. Im keen to find out who it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:08 am 

groovypanda wrote:
oblivion with bells underworld

been caning this one the past couple of weeks and it's a marked improvement over the poor a hundred days off. still not scaling the heights of their earlier output but there's some good tunes here and the overall feel is much more chilled than previous albums

Hmmmmmm.... I have to say I think it's pretty grim. I wasn't optimistic, and still came away disappointed. Saw them at the Roundhouse the other week (on the Thursday, which some people seem to think was a highlight) and thought it was a pretty dull show. In comparison to previous efforts it was fragmented, and a bit ploddy. I shall cling on to my memories of Brixton a few years back.... The album itself is just dull, characterless, and devoid of any interesting musical ideas. The best bits are the retro sounding ones, but wouldn't have made it onto Dubno era b-sides...

In other news:

Late of the Pier Heartbeat, Flicker, Line
Bombastic guitar, staccato rhythms, driving beats... it's all here. Come and get it.

LA Priest Engine (Erol's re-edit)

A Late of the Pier connection with this funky, glitchy beep-fest. I've had it on vinyl for a while, but listening to it more often now I've got it on t'iPod. Lots of fun.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:23 pm 

if it's not the best remix compilation ever- then one thing is for sure- it has the best title ever

and as it's autumn, rainy and all that sh,- gives perfect kick in the morning :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:20 pm 

Bearing in mind how little traffic there is on this forum, can anyone explain why this thread has had over 10,000 views? :shock:

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:40 am 

goldfish wrote:
Bearing in mind how little traffic there is on this forum, can anyone explain why this thread has had over 10,000 views? :shock:

Simon

oops. sorry about that, i fell dead asleep, head on keyboard, nose pressing down on f5.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:40 am 

Dan Deacon - Wham City pts 1 and 2

I have no idea where this came from. It's like someone created a Frankenstein's monster out've Caribou, The Go! Team, M83 and LCD Soundsystem. Needs to be listened to in its entirety. Brilliant.

http://www.myspace.com/dandeacon

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:10 am 

Some of my current favs on a similar path to those mentioned above...

Panda Bear - Person Pitch (may have already been mentioned - some lovely moments and has to be listened to start to finish)

Paul Hartnoll - The Ideal Condition (moby-like?)

Tellier & Mr Oizo & Sebastain - Steak

Yeasayer - All Hour Cymbals (could be close to my album of the year although radiohead is hard to surpass)

New Topic Post Reply  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next