It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: can anyone remember the name of this tv show?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 6:48 pm 

i am trying to identify a children's tv show that i watched as a kid, but can only remember a few details about it.

i am pretty sure it was australian. it was a live-action drama/sci-fi thing. it involved huge, furry/hairy aliens or monsters, that i seem to remember were very slow at chasing! i think the 'heros' were two young children, a boy and a girl. i remember them sliding down white coloured tunnels, and treating an egg-shaped, blue-coloured object as if it was very precious.
i think it was probably on during the (british) summer holidays, errr, about 10 years ago.

can anyone even remember this? tell me i'm not going mad and i haven't made all this up!

Post subject: Re: can anyone remember the name of this tv show?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 9:13 pm 

I remember it, but no idea what it was called. It was about the time I realised I no longer had any connection with Grange Hill, and it probably made me feel old and mature (or senile).

Simon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 11:18 pm 

goldfish wrote:
I remember it, but no idea what it was called. It was about the time I realised I no longer had any connection with Grange Hill, and it probably made me feel old and mature (or senile).

Simon

i feel a great sense of relief that someone else can remember it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:18 pm 

it sounds so familiar...

did it involve sliding down a tube which was hidden beneath a trapdoor and falling into a cave below that was filled with water and a big (benevolent) monster? was there stargazing? or am i thinking of something totally different?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 1:21 pm 

i've got another one too:this one was really scary. it was set in the bush and there was this gigantic rock in the middle of nowhere, but during the night it moved towards the main characters' (a boy and his father) house. one day they went at it with a pickaxe and broke it into little pieces but the next day it was back to one piece. it was called the nesbit or the nimbin or something like that, i think.

also, does anyone remember 'my secret valley'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 11:00 am 
Site Admin

only_sleeping wrote:
i am trying to identify a children's tv show that i watched as a kid, but can only remember a few details about it.

i am pretty sure it was australian. it was a live-action drama/sci-fi thing. it involved huge, furry/hairy aliens or monsters, that i seem to remember were very slow at chasing! i think the 'heros' were two young children, a boy and a girl. i remember them sliding down white coloured tunnels, and treating an egg-shaped, blue-coloured object as if it was very precious.
i think it was probably on during the (british) summer holidays, errr, about 10 years ago.

can anyone even remember this? tell me i'm not going mad and i haven't made all this up!

you've made it kinda hard as pretty much 99% of australian kids shows have a sci-fi / space theme ;)

there's a good site here that lists aussie tv shows, i remember there was another one i looked at ages ago but can't find it now.

http://oberon.spaceports.com/~atia/

i'd take a punt on it being one of these -

finders keepers
http://oberon.spaceports.com/~atia/finder.html

the girl from tomorrow
http://oberon.spaceports.com/~atia/girl ... orrow.html

halfway across the galaxy and turn left
http://oberon.spaceports.com/~atia/halfwayacross.html

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 4:08 pm 

'Tripods' used to scare the s^*t out of me...

8O

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 5:47 pm 

someone else has informed me that the show i am wondering about was actually made in new zealand, and was called something like 'underneath the mountain'.

does anyone remember it?

(those links above bought back lots of memories :D )

Post subject: TV stuff
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:48 am 

Does the Nargun and the Stars ring a bell in any of this?

I recall it was a kids book set in Australia with a sci-fi bent and something is lurking back in my rubbish bin of a memory about a show on ABC. [aha - found the following!]

[edited this after doing a google search:

NARGUN AND THE STARS
5 x 30 mins $80 per episode $300 series

Serialised fantasy/sci-fi drama. Simon Brent is a 10 year old city boy who is placed in the care of country relatives when his parents are killed in a car crash. Simon finds life very boring until he explores a nearby swamp, where he experiences some odd happenings and finally meets a strange swamp creature called The Potkoorok. From that time on, life is considerably more exciting, mysterious and dangerous for Simon and his relatives, Charlie and Edie, as they do battle with a menacing giant rock known as The Nargun. ]

Girl Thursday - this sounds like the one!

BTW, love threads about TV shows of old . . . especially obscure ones!

(I'll put in a vote for the Tomorrow People - I think it had a good theme too which is usually a bonus!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:40 pm 

aah yes!!!! the nargun and the stars, that's it! i loved it, even though it scared the shit out of me. hehe, i wonder what it would be like to see it now... the effects must have been pretty spectacular on a 300 dollar budget!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 4:28 pm 

:lol:

I was just thinking that they must have saved a bit of money on special effects by using a rock as one of the main "characters" - although from memory, it was a bit creepy!

Anyway, crap special effects were half the attraction, especially on the sci-fi shows that bobbed up on the ABC.

Still remember some of the Dr Who monsters as being hide-behind-the-couch scary when I was a kid (some decades ago), even though a look through more grown-up eyes revealed they were nothing more than well-applied plastic bubble-wrap painted green!

Cheers,

Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 9:23 pm 

i think you've all taken too much acid & are having vicious flashbacks!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 5:55 pm 

beau_loop wrote:
'Tripods' used to scare the s^*t out of me...

8O

me too, although i used to love that show as a kid..

and the tv series of day of the triffids (spelling?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 7:34 pm 

day of the triffids was very freaky

but then again lassie & wurzel gummidge used to freak me out :?

New Topic Post Reply  [ 14 posts ]