It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: readage for the soul
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2003 5:50 am 

ok, read this: http://trw.umbc.edu/articles/3852

read it carefully, then think what you want. post what you think about it, then i will (in a few days) post what has hapened throughout campus in response. and i will post his response. dont cheat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:32 am 

Commin' from Ireland, im not too sure what to make of this, but it does seem a little silly having a "Black History Month".

What purpose does this month serve, is it like a month where kids and adults learn about back history or something ?

Sounds like BS, do they have Asian History Months ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:10 am 

it's not just in the US the UK has a Black History Month (normally around October) & yes they do do similar asian things, I don't personally see it as silly it's a way of raising awareness of black history & related issues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 1:44 am 

Why have a divide though between black/white/whatever history though ? Should it all not just be history ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:00 am 

It's a special time for HBO to run movies with Denzel and endless episodes of the Chris Rock show. Museums line thier halls with work from black artists. NPR usually has a bunch of black history stories. The best I heard this past month, was about this white historian who is facinated by the plantation days. He's started an african slave museum, where visitors go through exhibits made to give them the feeling of being a slave. They even dug up and moved an old slave quarter, and patrons get to chill in there. They were even working on an exhibit to simulate the boat ride to the new world.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]