It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:08 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: books
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 6:31 pm 

so, has anyone read anything good/interesting recently?

i'm struggling through >> the atrocity exhibition << by j g ballard at the moment. it's the kind of book you need to read a few times i think. also reading the new naomi klien book which is ok so far...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:14 am 

haha, i just ended a tough class: philosophy of the mind.

try reading derek parfit's book: reasons and persons.
it's not too tough but you need to read some parts a few times to be able to understand the points and write essays on it and such.

i also read 'sex and death: an introduction to philosophy of biology' by kim sterelny and paul griffiths. they are australian philosophers (though i think griffiths works at the university of pittsburg,usa now). that book was quite good, yet sometimes confusing. maybe it's because i am not a biology major!

for my winter holiday reading: 'on race and philosophy' by lucius t. outlaw jr. just so i can keep in shape!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:33 am 

Finished A Quiet American just before I went to see the film (of the same name, with Michael Caine). Enjoyed both. The film kept to the book pretty well (unlike the 50s original by all accounts) and I liked the fact that each gave me a slightly different angle - the book coming from a more personal perspective and the film being more 'historical' (which dubya didn't like apparently since he did a fairly good job in meddling with the release dates - is it coming out in the US at all?).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:36 pm 

i tend to plough through books so i should avoid this thread otherwise i'll be posting stuff all the time. right now its 'how the dead live' by will self. i can recommend 'atonement' by ian mcewan which i read recently.

i like jg ballard, but i find him hard work too. but thats because to enjoy the books i have to struggle to get over the fact he's such a misogynist. the guy must have hated his mother or something.....

JB - try reading something not related to your course if you get the chance, otherwise i think you risk doing your head in! :D

v

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 10:04 pm 

Viv wrote:
i can recommend 'atonement' by ian mcewan which i read recently.

So too can I. Previously read Amsterdam by him as well, but Atonement is much better. Wasn't it on your to read list matt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:37 pm 

rickydazla wrote:
Viv wrote:
i can recommend 'atonement' by ian mcewan which i read recently.

So too can I. Previously read Amsterdam by him as well, but Atonement is much better. Wasn't it on your to read list matt?
kind of - i must have bought 50 or 60 books this year and got about 15 of them i haven't got around to reading yet. atonement is one of those

i've given up on the atrocity exhibition for the time being and am now reading >> schismatrix << by bruce sterling which i'm quite enjoying so far, although i'm only a few chapters into it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:38 am 

viv, i dont know why i just love to read philosophy, or as i spell it filosfy.
i hate class and uni though.... thank the almighty that i will be out soon!

ok, gotta go to the airport now..... all you avalanches fans have a wonderful time and dont do anything too crazy during the holidays but crazy enough that you can brag about it the next day!

peace and see y'all in a few weeks!
JB

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]