It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Pubs/clubs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 11:22 pm 

Hi guyz,

I've just been reading a few posts that mentioned The Social and 93 Feet East. Can anyone give me any details about these places ie. addresses, prices for entry, dress codes etc. I might try and head to 93 Feet East this Sunday arvo. Are there any other pubs or clubs that are cool places to hang out in London? Particularly South London...(I'm in Tooting)

Hell, why not use this post to share all your favourite hangouts wherever you are.

Any of you guys down under ever go to any of these places (see below) I travelled there for a while....

Melbourne - Scubar or the Lounge? (I have to say for anyone who hasn't been there, Melbourne is a f**king cool place!!) 8)

Sydney - Worlds bar (Kings X), Home, the Palace/Aquarium/CBH (Coogee)

Sorry to ramble on, I'm trying to re-live very fond memories though all of you!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 4:45 am 

93 feet east (150 brick lane nearest tube liverpoool st), social (little portland st -just off oxford circus & arlington sq, islington Both free) & cargo (83 rivington st - just off curtain rd nearest tube old st) are all good venues but it is definitely worth checking the listings to see what's on first as i have been to dodgy nights (as well as many a great night) at all of them

other regular haunts include
plastic people on curtain rd, tiny little club that has some good nights

bridge & tunnel (4 calvert Ave shoreditch nearest tube old st) has a great variety of djs (run by the same guy who used to own blue note) but can be a bit pretentious

ICA on the mall (just off trafalgar sq) is good for one off gigs - i've seen dj shadow & detroit grand pubahs there recently

other good gig venues Union Chapel - Islington, Jazz Cafe - Camden, Ocean - Hackney, Sheperds Bush Empire - umm Sheperds Bush!

prices vary at all of them depending on whose running the night & as for dress codes???? pah on principle i never go anywhere where there is one! & i tend to avoid the bigger clubs like fabric & the end but i think that's just a personal hang up - a lot of people do like them!!!

nuff of the walking talking a-z of london

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 7:31 am 

wee snow drift wrote:
nuff of the walking talking a-z of london

Lush might be more appropriate.... ;)

Ian, I'm now in love with the Social in Islington for Sundays, and the Portland St one for Friday Nights... Islington is off the beaten track, but you couldn't find a better combination of good music, good beer, good food and (as far as I could tell) good people...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 6:40 pm 

Cheers for all the info guys, I'll try and work my way around all those places. 93 Feet East is looking good for Sunday....

WSD - I'm with you on the dress code bit but it pays to check b4. Theres nowt worse that rocking up to a place only to find they wont let you in for some poxy reason like you dont look right. Going out is all about having fun and if you're gonna feel more comfy and chilled in a hawaiian shirt, a tu tu and flippers then I dont see the problem. (Not that thats what I wear on a night out - only special occasions!!)

Post subject: days and nights out
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:11 pm 

i'd recommend the same places as emma and simon. probably cos i tend to go to these places with them.

wish the social could open a south west london venue though. forget tooting - putney would be ideal....

only recommendation for the social in islington on a sunday. dont start drinking at lunchtime and carry on till closing...i'm only just beginning to get back into the realm where an emoticon can describe me... :?

v

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:51 pm 

lightweight :P

& yes i hold my hand up high to being a lush!
tho I've never tried dancing in flippers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:48 pm 

the lounge is cool. never been to scubar, but i heard the breaks/funk night there is cool...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 10:25 pm 

I remember being in the Lounge and there were two guys who were breakdancing and they thought they were the absolute dogs bo**ocks and that they ruled the place. Then this little bloke stood up, walked over and did some of the best breakdancing I've even seen, then just went back to his table and sat down chatting to his mates. WICKED!! Those two guys left shortly afterwards!!

The Scubar is pretty small but thats part of its charm I think. And the fish tank on the ceiling!!! Great music if you pick the right night. And its only a few mins from the Lounge.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ]