It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Downloading
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:55 pm 

Forgive my ignorance but I am interested in understanding the best way to download music from the internet and be able to listen to it on a home stereo. Can someone give me some guidance on what equipment I need and any useful tips because I am completly in the dark and realise there is so much more music available that I can't buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:49 pm 
Site Admin

If your stereo is next to / near your 'puter, just grab a cable with 2 RCA's on one end and a 3.5 mm plug on the other - simple as that.

otherwise, a burner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:45 am 

one problem. i don't have the 'puter. yet. i need to get everything from scratch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:32 am 

Vanderlay wrote:
one problem. i don't have the 'puter. yet. i need to get everything from scratch.

Pretty much anything you buy will have the basics, i would think.

I.e. Computer, CD Burner, Soundcard, Speakers, Screen, Keyboard, mouse... you don't really need much more.

Windows-based PCs have more software for downloading free music.
Apple-based PCs are better. ;)

How much/little do you know about using computers? Don't want to be my normal patronising self... ;)

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 5:43 pm 

i'd concentrate more on getting the right computer package first and worrying about the 'how to download' aspect later.

don't know what country you're from but the golden rule seems to be don't buy compaq or hewlett packard. in fact that means in the uk don't buy a computer from dixons, curries, pc world and espcially fucking tiny :evil:

it's defintely worth buying a few of the 'what pc?' type magazines which i'm sure they'll have whatever country you're in and reading the various reviews. look for the packages that do well in a variety of magazines as sometimes a magazine may be put together by the computer manufacturer and, hey, what'd you know, that company's computers always get rave reviews in the magazine. surprise, sur-fucking-prise :roll:

i'd strongly recommend >> mesh << - it's where i got mine from and two of my mates did as well and we've only got good things to say about them. plus they always come out towards the top in all those computer mag reviews i mentioned earlier - just look at some of the awards they've picked up on their website

of course if you don't live in the UK you'll not be able to buy a mesh but i'm sure if you do some research (and ask around) you'll find a reputable company.

the next thing to think about is how powerful a machine you want and how much you're prepared to pay. i'd recommend getting at least a 1200 Mhz machine but there's no real need to go for one of the expensive 2000+ Mhz machines just now (unless you can easily afford it). some people will probably tell you to build your own too, but if you're not that confident with computers i'd give that option a wide berth.

and don't listen to simon - mac's are probably better but pc's are the industry standard so get one of those.

but he's right about being patronising ;)

anyway hope some of that helps

matt :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:18 pm 

thanks guys. my pc knowledge is limited so you could have been as patronising as you liked. am in london so will do some research in the PC mags. cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 11:38 pm 

it's also worth checking out some of the online websites.

like >> this << one for instance as they'll quite often have lots of reviews on their pages...

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]