It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Usage Rights?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:50 pm 

What is the policy on music rights?

Our Video Tech class requires us to make a music video, and I thought that this song would be a great choice. However, we may only use thirty seconds to abide with copyright laws, unless we hve permission. If it would be okay for me to use the entire song, please email charlesviper@gmail.com. If not, thanks for reading this post, I love the music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:13 pm 

as far as im aware sayin u can use 30 seconds of a song without gettin rights is a complete myth. even if u use half a second u still need the rights. however it sounds like ur usin this as part of a uni/college course? if your work is only going to be used internally at the University you don't have to worry about copyright. If your work is going to be displayed in a public environment, (as in made available anywhere outside the realm of education), then you need to get the synchronisation and public performance rights. This would involve gettin permission from the composer and record company. Im no expert so some of this info might be wrong and i can only give a UK perspective on this but hope ive helped a little anyway.

Post subject: Re: Usage Rights?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:26 am 

You might be better emailing Modular if in Australia, XL/Beggars Banquet, or whoever the US label is for info. Whilst this is the official board, I don't think the kind've people who know this sort of stuff visit us terribly often...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:23 pm 

I was under the impression you could use another persons tunes etc. so long as it was not for profit....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:00 am 

aiken drum wrote:
I was under the impression you could use another persons tunes etc. so long as it was not for profit....

Ding Ding Ding.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]