It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:11 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Carpark Festival report
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:58 pm 

Well I can report for all and sundry that the Carpark Festival was shit-hot!! Awesome weather, great food, beautiful people and an absolute blinder from the Avalanches! The set was airtight with nary a missed beat and the material, as we’ve come to expect, took us around the world several times, through many decades of choice cuts. Tony “catsâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:40 pm 

thanks for the report. sounds like a lotta fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:37 am 

So was there any new material involved? Or just a mix set of stuff? Even in the older dj sets they always involved some of their own material -could you detect a new sound?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:11 pm 

The intro sounded familiar... I think the rest was mostly records but could have contained new material for all i know... Drank a lot o juice in the sun that day so could have missed heaps and could only speculate on what the new album could sound like... The DJ sets are very uptempo and alot of the material has an 80s vibe, but they do cover alot of different flavours.. calypso, hip hop, vintage rock, stuff that sounds like MIA (maybe it was MIA?) etc. It was just good!

PS. I do hope they put together a show with drums n all their toys when they bring out the album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:52 pm 

what was the go with the set at the carpark fest??

were there not drummers on stage as well??

If not it was probably a massively different set to their one the night before, that just didn't seem to work properly

Glad it was good.

Was it a good space to see bands??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:20 pm 

yeah there were djembes and hand drums etc but i mean darren and robbie playing drum kit again would be awesome! the crowd really got right into it too which made the set really enjoyable.

the carpark was a beautiful space to see bands in but as far as festivals go a second stage would really make it something else. You could go outside and walk around the city if you wanted to which was nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:21 pm 

yeah there were djembes and hand drums etc but i mean darren and robbie playing drum kit again would be awesome! the crowd really got right into it too which made the set really enjoyable.

the carpark was a beautiful space to see bands in but as far as festivals go a second stage would really make it something else. You could go outside and walk around the city if you wanted to which was nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:30 pm 

What I saw was pre-recorded miserey. (more than likely whay a beat was never missed.)
I was very dissapointed with the performance.

I may have had a few, but can you really put vinyl on a CDJ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:01 pm 

No you can't really.. maybe the Avs are flirting too close to the dark side.. relying on the digital medium too much? :cry:

It would be expensive to press all your home-made mash-ups, segues and tweaks onto vinyl everytime you wanted to do a gig tho... and its a good way to back-up old stuff you can't find duplicates for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:43 pm 

I was talking physically.

Press play, dance around & pretend (to put vinyl on a CDJ) until the gigs over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 6:53 pm 

heckta wrote:
I must admit I was a little dissapointed at the last brians show with the lack of vinyl spinning. Mainly pre-programmed CDJ.

heckta wrote:
What I saw was pre-recorded miserey. (more than likely whay a beat was never missed.)
I was very dissapointed with the performance.

I may have had a few, but can you really put vinyl on a CDJ?

heckta wrote:
I was talking physically.

Press play, dance around & pretend (to put vinyl on a CDJ) until the gigs over.

What are you saying? My favourite group in the world, don't even really mix tracks together in their live DJ shows. Is it all pre-recorded on CDJ?
Whats going on in the Avalanche camp?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:14 am 

I just wanted to concur with Kidkatana's initial review - The Carpark set was pure joy. There were definitely short spots that sounded like new Avalanches atmospherics... I'm sure I even recognised one of those Internet download mp3s from last year (February?)

The set wasn't too different from Meredith the night before - but Meredith was more complete with its huge "Born To Run ending.

Call me biased, but I can't fathom where these unfavourable views are coming from, especially since we waited so long for something new from these guys. Here it was - 95 per cent new stuff. (a track or so left over from brains, and the now-familiar It Began in Africa section.)

In my opinion, to say "they played too many unfamiliar tracks" is to totally miss the point. I love being taken away by whatever the Avalanches find.

Regarding Meredith, to say that the crowd went to bed before the Avalanches finished is completely untrue - the place was packed. I will however conceed that dancing freaks on stage may not be everyone's idea of a fun show.

Both sets were like some psychodelic disco jam that sounded '80s, yet was somehow completely unfamiliar. Best of all, NO ELECTROCLASH :D To me their mixing now seems so layered, chopped and smooshed together that it's almost more an original work than an actual dj set.

And finally - the equipment on stage included three turntables, and three CDJ players. Obviously their were pre-mixed sections (Beck's Beercan got completely remixed) but no one was "pretending". And since when were these guys purists? Robbie has been quoted as saying as he had never even DJ'd until after Since I Left You came out. Dexta and Cruz were pro DJ's, but they're off doing their own things now. The other guys just want to create a party. I could care less for the means, as long as the end result is hearing some of the most gloriously fucked up dance music ever jammed into a 1.5 hour slot.

share your thoughts. Did anyone get pics?
Love, Penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:52 am 

Cheers Penny

I understand where you are coming from, and glad that the set appealed to you, but I just didn't get much from it

Having seen the avs blast meredith on numerous occasions, and also at other venues, this new stuff that they have been presenting just hasn't been exciting me, although there were some exceptions through the set. And I was very amped to see them play. I'm just saying how I felt about it is all

I re-read my post re meredith and I definitely overstated how many people had left, but from where we were, the crowd had thinned out massively as they went on. even if this was due to beer fatigue, the set just didn't seem as compelling as they have in the past. In previous merediths (particularly the first dj set of chater and dexter) I've seen people dancing their arses off, cos they feel they have to.....no other option. AND EVERYONE WAS JUMPING......which just didn't seem to be the case this year

Personally I have no dramas with the guys using cdjs when it is their own remix being dropped into proceedings, and I don't think it changed things in terms of visual performance.

I do have some pics, but my camera craps out at night, will see what I can do. May chuck them up on flikr

Am interested to hear what they have down on their album though......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:16 am 

I am here to tell you that CDJ's may as well be turntables. The way they play and handle is the exact same for the most part. All the great dj's are switching over live these days - it is just too much easier and more efficient to carry cd's or a memory card of anything and eveything than to deal with records and the headaches they bring. Here's hoping technology advancements make it that much easier for the Avs and groups like them to layer and paste elements of all the more versatile a collection of tracks. However, i am sorry to hear that their set wasn't super mega electrifying....what is a Brains show like? Being from the Southeast U.S. i have NO idea what alive Avalanches experience is like. DO they mix a dj set and play drums over it or what?

Post subject: recent shows
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:50 am 

Magic Midgets (2001) was Robbie and Dexta DJing.

Brians (2004-05) was Robbie, Darren and Tony DJing playing mostly african / ragga / calypso stuff, with a crew of 10 or so bongo players and dancers....

The latest sets are sort of a mix between the two. More of a western sound overall, but still with the drummers and dancers. Some of the artists played included Cheap Trick, Bruce Springsteen, Beck, Jungle Brothers, Bobby Brown, Mighty Sparrow, Chemical Brothers. Robbie and Tony are DJing while the guy with the huge beard (Darren) pretty much orchestrates the other madness on stage. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Pen :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:58 pm 

penny, you're a fountain of knowledge. :)

which cheap trick song did they play? bonus points if you say what they mixed it with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:54 pm 

i got some pics!

if anyone can post some instructions on how to share them it would be grande :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:57 am 

cool, would love to see the pics.

http://www.imageshack.us/ will host your pics for free, but i think you have to upload them one at a time. if you wanna e-mail them to me at djriko(AT SYMBOL)yahoo(INSERT DOT)com, i could put a page of them together on a non-public link on my site and post the link here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:56 pm 

courtesy of kidkatana (thanks for sharing):

Image[/url]

Post subject: Cheap Trick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:01 pm 

Riko,

The Cheap Trick track was If You Want My Love 8)
It was early in the show and came after a hazy Avalanchesque atmospheric segue/intro thing. It was mixed with Alcoholiday by Teenage Fanclub!

-Penny L

PS thanks everyone for the photos.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next