It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: New album "sighting"
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:27 pm 

Well, an actual mention of it anyway for 2006.

I was reading my free Big Day Out program on the way home on the train from the Gold Coast early this morning (it ensured I didn't fall asleep and drool over any strangers, not that many BDO-ers would notice any more mess after a hot, muddy day!).

On page 47 is an ad for Modular highlighting their 2005 releases (Wofmother, The Presets, Van She etc) and in the fine print is "Coming in 06 - new music from Bumblebeez, Van She, Cut Copy, The Avalanches and more")

Okay, upon reflection that is nothing to get that excited about, but at 12.30am somewhere near Kuraby, it made me sit up and take notice!

BDO was good fun too BTW.

Quick highlights from me:

The Magic Numbers - probably my pick of the day - certainly had the same feel-good sensation that Polyphonic Spree provided the previous year.

The Go! Team - clashed with the Magic Numbers but got to see their last 15 minutes - confirmed in my mind that I missed a great show when they played Brisbane last year.

The Grates - up and coming Brisvegas band who were tremendous - first time I'd seen them live and they really lived up to their reputation. Female lead singer who seems to be constantly bouncing but never misses a note. Hard to describe - poppy Kate Bush was how my mate described it but that's a big call in my book!

Iggy Pop - just marvel at his physique - all ribs and muscles and weird angles. One of the few men alive who should wear hipsters. Got into the crowd and then dragged up as many as he could to dance on stage with him. Some pretty willing performers as well! The Stooges were super-tight - the bass player Mike Wyatt (sp?) is exceptional.

2manyDJs - brilliant way to finish a long day - they had the Boiler Room jumping, and unlike last year when the Chemical Brothers was jam-packed, there was actually room to move!

For those perusing the boards who are going to their respective Big Days Out - let us know what you reckon.

Cheers.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 1 post ]