It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Old School vs New School Avalanches Shows
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:36 pm 

Thought it would be interesting to get a discussion going over the topic of Avalanches live shows. Personally I love the "band playing instruments and breaking legs" form just as much as the "spinning vinyl (and cds) with percussive jamming" form of live show. Anyone out there who's seen both got a preference?

I've seen them perform in six-piece band mode 4 times (1998-2001) and been to countless DJ performances at festivals and St Jeromes in Melbourne. I get a big kick out of both but i guess a lot of fans out there haven't had the chance to see both kinds of show. Is "Band-Mode" better than "DJ-Mode" ???? (is it relevent?)

maybe i should just ease up on the coffee?
-Katana

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:55 am 

Maybe you can clear this up for me: how does the "live" version operate? I mean, the original material is all sample based and the rest of their recorded output is mixing based...what do they play "live"? I have never been too clear on how that worked studio or stage-wise....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:51 am 

The Avs "band" live shows used to consist of Darren on Vocals and Bass Guitar, Robbie on Drums, Tony and Gordon on Keyboard, Sampler, Theremin and Dexter on Turntable. They used to swap instruments all the time, so every one would play almost evey instrument. I thought their "band shows" were much more entertaining than their DJ sets. Heaps more energy. Especialy the shows that they did to launch "Since I left you". But I think the Magic Midget DJ show with Dexter and Robbie was awsome, It was a much better DJ set than the Avs new DJ show. Personally I would rather see Dexter live than the Avs if they are going to play the same set that they did at Meredith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:37 pm 

i've seen both, the shows prior to since i left u and the brains show, being in perth we dont get as much, so only the once for each. Both sets were very memorable too me, the old shows were awesome just because to me it was something totally new and crazy with the mix of all musical genre, where as brains still had the same effect but alot more soca, drums and freestyle dancing.

James de la cruz has done some killer sets here too on a similar par to dexter. The funny thing I found personally now is that if you go and see dexter's new posse, Shook daily Crew, you'll still get that avalanche style dj set, I even found myself predicting the following tracks during their set.(from previous avalanches mixes like @home,breezeblock and one world etc)

:P

i'm just glad everyone avalanche involved are still keepin on doin there thing, its awesome.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]