It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: betrayed at meredith
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:26 pm 

The avalanches and meredith..my two favourite things rolled into one, or so I thought. The lead up to mezza saw me as excited as a kid who still believes in santa. But it all went terribly wrong. What the hell were all those dudes doing on stage during the avalanches set - the ones in cheesy costumes, dancing in a half-arsed way? If I want to see people doing lame dancing, talking amongst themselves and drinking beer, I can look around the crowd. Hey, I can look at myself. Why the avalanches think they need to invite their mates on stage is beyond me. If they wanted to have their own private party, they could've waited til after meredith. They were there to entertain the punters, who were hanging to see them. Instead, we got a lame-arsed display of self-indulgence. I've been betrayed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:45 pm 

Gia

I don't know what the go was there either.

I've seen 5000 or so people up at meredith way beyond sensible hours after many hours on the juice, go nuts in the past to robbie chater, and dexta, shook daily and de la cruz, but their set this year at meredith just didn't fit.

This year the crowd started to go nuts, and tried to get into it, but then ended up kinda watching and tapping their feet as the set went on. Not only this, but the crew up on stage started dancing their arses off, but then kinda just milled around as the set wore on as well

was all a little odd

I was so very very excited to see the avs do their thing again, but from a strong start, the set just didn't hold up. A few glimpses of gold towards the end, but most of the crowd had headed back to the tents by then

The next men who followed were not as fluid as I hoped, and had two quite annoying mcs out front, but their music selection at least was strong, and had the remaining crowd a little more engaged.

I'm glad the set at the carpark was good, cos their meredith set wasn't anywhere near as good as their previous efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:51 pm 

I was there aswell, but it was'nt that bad. I think their set started awsome and ended awesome. But around the three quarter mark I started to lose a bit off interest. I think it was the fact that they were playing too much Housey stuff which nobody knew, and it didnt seem to get the crowd excited at all. And as for the people in costume dancing on stage, I mean I love the fact that there were 20 people on stage at one time. But most of the dudes (except for the Avs and an african looking guy) looked bored and were doing some lame ass dancing. It was almost too gimmicky. I loved the 'It began in Africa/Born to run', ending. But personally I thought the Avalanches DJ set they did at Meredith a couple of years ago kicked this ones ass. But saying that, I still had wicked time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:15 am 

Not sure if I just have really high expectations of these guys after all the previous times I have seen them play/dj.

One of my mates who I had spruiked the avs to said that it felt there was one song/mix that went for 30 mins and just bored her senseless.

I'm very curious to see what they are recording, cos their dj sets lately seem to be really dividing opinion.

And I too agree with the "it began in africa" ending.....have seen this used a few times, and always gets the crowd up

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:50 am 

Its quite relieving reading everyones thoughts on their set at meredith...Cause i never really got into it, and i thought it must have been me cause i was so wasted, and i expected their show to blow my mind... it was very different to what i expected, which was a lot of different styles, and a lot of changes in the tempo, but it was very housey throughout... it was a little disappointing after seeing dexter at meredith 03 & 04, and being absolutely mind boggled... but i guess it shows the difference between darren/robbies style, and dexter's... but although i have heard many avalanches sets on cd, i have only witnessed one, so i should not make any conclusions about what style they play.

The Nextmen rocked though... Great hip-hop set to dance to.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]