It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: DJ help?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:28 am 

Ok so, I want to get into make electronic music more then I am.
Right now I have Fruity Loops and Gold wave.. aka NOT MUCH.
Ive managed to make a few songs, but you cant really do much with goldwave, so I cant add custom samples or clips. (or alteast not with the version of FL i have)
But with that I have managed to get pretty decent, and made some decent stuff.
I would like to get some tips on Equipment to get for DJing, and how I could learn how to use it and such.
It seems like youd have to learn it firsthand or that firsthand would be the best way, but considering im in Kentucky (rural-ish state in US) there aren't very many DJ's i can easily learn from.

so, any tips on equipment and learning how to use it and etc?

btw Im 14, so i cant just drive to local record stores and such =(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:41 pm 

Buy a set of decks, mixer and hope you already have a hifi with input or you'll have to buy one.

Buy records. Ones you like would be good. I'm not sure about the state of interesting music shops in kentucky, but the internet may well be your friend.

Play the start of one record over the end of another. Repeat until it doesn't sound shit.

You really can just learn on your own. I'm guessing you don't have much cash money (I didn't when I was 14), so try and get the equipment for your birthday or something. Get a bit at a time if need be - if you only have one deck you can't really mix but you do have something to listen to records on, so you can build up a collection and some ideas until you get the opportunity to get the full equipment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:11 pm 

The first stuff I got was a crap beltdrive turntable i got of a local garagesale, a cheap (£5) amateur videomixer with phono in/out and I mixed my kiss records and stuff to cd's on the other input. I know that prolly sounds like "i had nothing, and look what i have today" but it's true and it got me to learn the basics, and made me get more and better stuff later.

You can only mix one way with only only one deck, but it works good to learn the art of mixing, and the it will probably be even better when you try it with two decks some time.

Good luck, and don't give up. It's not easy, but it's a lot of fun when you finally get a beatmix to work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:52 am 

Alright, what exactly is the process of mixing like you said?

I do have one Record player its my moms, but its pretty bad, it works but thats about it.
its from around the 80's and the speed up is just a button.

but yea just kinda go indepth here on the "mixing process" here Im a bit dimwitted on this topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:36 pm 

You need a turntable with speed control. Using this you try and match the beat of two records (beatmatching), so that you can bring the second track in seemlessly, using the mixer which controls how much of each input is coming out of the speakers. The mixer also controls the levels of bass and treble, so you can the high end of the sound and just have the bassy bits of one record and the high end of the other. Flash mixers can do more than this and have various effects but a half decent one will get you goin.

If you only have one turntable and a mixer you can still mix on some level, using a cd player or a record without speed control and matching the beat to that. This is what drix means by mixing one way. It allows you to practice a bit without having to fork out for two decks and a mixer at the same time.

People are going to disagree on whether you should buy a flash pair of technics, good quality decks which in theory should last you a long time, or getting something cheap which are less high quality, have lower torque (how quickly the record comes to the correct speed) and generally more likely to break.

It all depends on how much money you can get hold of and your patience. If you can afford the technics now get them, if you can afford one and it won't be long until you can get the second then do that. If your less sure that this is something you want to invest a large amount of money into or simply wont have it for a while get something cheap and relatively nasty, safe in the knowledge when you do get some cash you'll know what your doing with your flash new decks.

It should also be noted that you dont actually have to mix to play an enjoyable set. As long as you perfect queing up and dropping the records just as the other is finishing (which will take you about two minutes to learn, as well as knowing your records so you know when to do it) people will enjoy it, The key thing is to play good records that people enjoy rather than actual technical ability, though the combinations of both is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 12:29 am 

ok well, any body know some sites or such to get this equipment?
cause theres like only one store close to me that might have the stuff, but my best guess is that what they have is natrocious.

oh and is there a way so that I could add my own original music? or would I just have to play that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:42 am 

123dj.com

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]