It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dallas gig
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2002 7:22 pm 

Hello all! It's my first time posting here and it's sad that this has brought me here. But I went and paid VERY hard earned cash to see one of my favorite bands and I get a bunch of okay DJ's in their place. The thing is I hadn't heard a thing about them canceling. It was in the paper that they would be there. There's also the fact that Jurassic 5 is in town this weekend too and I chose The Avalanches over them...if I had only known. Does anyone know if the band responds to the forum? Or the story behind the cancel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:36 am 

what bands are playing in their place? my friend was going to go see them in dallas, and as far as i know has no clue they cancelled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 12:37 pm 
well, its not the bands fault, so dont be blaming them...you should be questioning the organisers on why the concert go-ers werent told.

it really should have been publicised that they werent gonna play, and its the promoters responsibility, not the band. the least they coulda done is had a sign out the front saying the avs werent playing, and that you could get a refund or something.

thing is...i thought i heard a while back that they werent playing some of the shows on the tour. so depending on whether the dallas show was one of the more recent ones or not, then maybe you could have found out from people who went to other shows on the tour...im certain i heard something about it a while back...

but yeah, go talk to the promoters...i dont know what your chances are of getting anything now...but i guess if enough people pester them, they will think about better publicity in the future...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 5:40 pm 

Thanks. I was figuring it had to be something with the promoters. The worst part about the experience (besides no Avalanches) was that when I asked someone working there about The Avalanches they copped a shitty attitude. And it took forever to get them to acknowledge that The Avalanches had been promoted in several publications (even the day of) as performing there. Although I still think there should have been some sort of update thing or something on their site to inform people that "We wont' be here, here and here." I mean they still have it listed that they will be there on the site.
Oh about the DJ's there were a few. From what I could make out from the drunken MC the DJ's were DJ Dan, DJ Will (I think) and DJ Ivy. They were ok. Most of it sounded either German or French. It was nice stuff to dance to but not the somewhat obscure samples and records I came to see from The Avalanches.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 12:53 pm 

I was also at the Red Jacket, and was quite disappointed as well. The manager of the Jacket told me that the band objected to the fact that the club was broadcasting live- a regular event for the club.

Likely the Avalanches did not know about that aspect, or somehow missed it in the fine print. Whatever the reason, a live over-the-air performance has other ramifications, starting with a much larger audience (was the band being compensated for a super-sized audience?) or perhaps the fact that US radio would censor them if they used bad words or the songs did, or perhaps even some legal aspect of the material they were going to play.

I mostly blame the club, though some people may blame the band for no-showing. What is sad is that they got a super write up in the local paper and really did generate a lot of hype. As a Dallas resident who listens to Triple J in Australia over the internet, I was really pumped to go see them. I've had "Since I Left You" since late 2000, nearly 18 months before the local Dallas station was playing "Frontier Psychiatrist". So I consider myself as true a fan as can be for somewhere so far from their homeland.

I hope they come back sometime. There are better clubs than Red Jacket (try Deep Ellum Live).

Jeff
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dfwsubmusic

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]