It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Beastie Boys vs Avalanches.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:53 pm 

I talked to a guy who said that the beastie boys were doing what the avalanches are doing now but ten years ago. so i went out and bought paul's boutique. i can sort of hear the similarities... well, the sampling and all... aparently paul boutique contains over 400 samples... can anyone give me any info on the album or just any thoughts in general about the avalanches vs the beastie boys...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:00 pm 

Avalanches > Beastie Boys

Why? Since I Left You. Case closed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:23 pm 

Both bands used to play in Boz Scaggs cover bands and they used to have big band wars and sing-offs and scratch each others' cars and ring them up and say you don't have any walls in your house and it was great.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:10 pm 

http://www.moire.com/beastieboys/samples/

that website contains pretty much all you need to know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:53 am 

Avalanches > Beastie Boys 8O

I know were on the AvS board here but I'm gonna throw down and say AvS have a good way to go before they could be considered 'greater' than the beasties.

1) Pauls Boutique blew the lid off sampling and I put it up there as revolutionary as Pet Sounds.
2) The fact that Paul's Boutique was done in 1989, 10 years prior, if AvS is pioneers (which they are) that makes the Beastie (originators).
3) Beasties did it with a lot less hardware and technology.

I mean I dont think its fair to compare P.Boutique to SiLu but when you are it's quite obvious that

Beastie Boys > Avalanches

But again, I dont think its a very fair comparison when the Beasties have like 10 albums over Avs.

And beyond P.Boutique the Beastie have heavily sampled on almost all album since, using clout to dig into Capitol's archives. Check Jimmy James on Check Your Head. When MCA spent a few weeks alone in CA trying scratch over hendrix riffs. Good Stuff.

btw. I caught the US finals for the DMCs this past weekend and about 3 DJs mimicked scratch routines from Paul's Boutique (B-Boys Boullbalise).

(I aplogize for my spelling, its Monday)

Post subject: Good 1 !
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:12 am 

Pothole, That website may be the best discovery ever...All of my unanswered questions from my teens are covered here. Good find!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:18 am 

I think that there would be only one way to know who is better.

Beastie Boys (USA) vs The Avalanches (AUS)

celebrity death match style

Then I think the beasties would win

- Bobo is going to be a very tough one to knock down + good strength from drumming
- Mixmaster Mike would be pretty tough
- Darren breaks bones pretty easy

Though the beasties are prob showing their age and maybe becoming a little soft. The obvious example was easily the song In a world gone mad. I think that song made more people angry than peaceful.

anyways beasties would win. It would be close though

Post subject: !!!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:00 pm 

I don't wish to dispute that Paul's Boutique is an important record, i just want to add my own biased opinion :)

The sampling on Paul's Boutique is mad, excellent etc but isn't that a lot to do with the producers rather than the Bboys themselves? Stop me if i'm wrong, i'm sure they had some input...

Anyway, they are music beds to rap over, ie: a lot easier to come up with than a fully realised, original pop song, especially one built from the ground up by taking a second here or there from other recordings and mishing it all together without sounding completely shit house.

Ditto Beck's Odelay - another record that i love, and surely some kind of half-way point between PB and SILY. An incredible selection of sounds (courtesy Dust Bros working with beck) compiled into quite good pop/hiphop sounding stuff, but mostly retaining the original moods and feelings of the songs being sampled.

Whereas Since I Left You truly removes its samples from their original contexts, and the sounds etc were selected to fit the song, mood and notes that were already thought of (as apposed to being dictated by what the samples sounded like or came from)

I make no sense. but irony has no place in music.

Plus, the beastie boys are a bunch of rude cunts and the Avalanches are all nice boys playing together nicely :D

capt- on-a-soap-box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:09 am 

No you are right. PB was mostly the child of Rick Ruben, but when Im referring to the Beasties I'm talking about the music machine they created. Sponsoring bleeding edge skills and outside creativity with the like of Money Mark to Mix Master Mike, as wel as all the old grandRoyal artists. In addition to going beyond music with the likes of Spike Jonez. So yeah, I'm generally talking about that machine in which the Beasties front and sell-out, only to use the profits to push boundaries of entertainment.

I def hear the argument but mine is of a conservative nature where I agree SILY is technically better and a a definite progression, I still feel the originators deserve the credit as being the 'best'. Atleast for the time being.

El Producto - Fucking Awesome
SILY - Fucking Awesome

But it's still a bit early to compare 1 EP and 1 LP to a 15+ year career of breaking new ground with every new album. I mean with talk of a Dexter solo project and no actual avalanche tour (non dj sets) in a couple years, I'm begining to worry about the AvS future.

I mean I know this is a bit off topic, but I have no problem waiting a while in between albums, but I'd expect to see an EP throw out just to say, hey we're working on somthing, what do you think?

It's been almost 4 years of dead silence, and in that time a sizeable group of music enthusiasts (from all over the world) have taken over thier BBS.

I mean, why can't someone throw us a bone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:17 am 

potthole wrote:
Though the beasties are prob showing their age and maybe becoming a little soft. The obvious example was easily the song In a world gone mad. I think that song made more people angry than peaceful.

I don't worry about it too much. That's just an MCA track. He has the tendency to make 'poetic' songs... not necessarily good ones. If you scan the ablums you'll surely be able to pick out the two or three MCA tracks on the albums.

But yeah, that track was pretarded. I mean I hate the green party and all but atleast Adrock put some quality into his Nader speech remix. World Gone Mad was just poo. BUT... the beats were nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:31 am 

adrocknaphobia wrote:
No you are right. PB was mostly the child of Rick Ruben...

without wanting to sound picky (but i probably will anyway :wink: )
paul's boutique was produced by the dust brothers.
Ruben was responisble for Licensed to Ill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 10:51 am 

I think its a bit unfair comparing the two to be honest. Well at least comparing SILY to any BB album, as its a different style of music to the BB. You could compare El Producto, as it is mainly rap based and has the same raw energy as early BB's, but it seems they took a complete different direction with their only album....

I think I'm just blabbering though, and don't really know what I'm talking about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:14 pm 

low_uk wrote:
without wanting to sound picky (but i probably will anyway :wink: )paul's boutique was produced by the dust brothers.
Ruben was responisble for Licensed to Ill.

lol. ur right. boy do I have egg raid on my face.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 2:50 pm 

Anyone else remember when el producto first came out? The avalanches were reviewed/promoted as the australian version of the beastie boys. There was a time when you couldnt hear a word about the avalanches without some mention of the beastie boys.

Post subject: Re: Beastie Boys vs Avalanches.- Tall Pops
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 9:57 am 

The one problem with our Australian character is this inbred case of tall poppy syndrome...

Why cant it be let rest, it is a record of a combination of moments that led to a beautiful and uniquely australian album. Both pieces stand with out crutches. Since I left you though throws off the cultural cringe so associated with and by Australians...Why is there a need to compare to two when each is its own record of its own statement...If we are going to be like this why not compare it to the first bangin' african who threw a pigskin over a hollow log...

Its all music, and its all freakn' divine...

Post subject: beasties have a lot of stepchildren
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:08 pm 

You're not taking anything away from the Avs by saying that the Beastie Boys have a leg up. Is Dr. J better than the guy who invented basketball because he took it to a new level? Of course not - but he's still the mack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 10:57 pm 

Yeah!

That's like saying that George Washington is better that Thomas Edison cause he IMPROVED the TV that Edison invented.

And while I think of it...who invented DJing? I remember getting taught at school it was Vanilla Ice's DJ.....is this true or was it really Fleetwood Mac's DJ (as I suspect).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 1:00 am 

Please don't take this personally. I'm not trying to say the AvS are anything less than spectacular. But if you _must_ compare.. which is the title and purpose of this thread: my personal opinion is to say the guys who did it first, with less gear, and with no predefined methods or audience, with a much MUCH smaller supply of samples are what I call pioneers.

now avs has _definetely_ progressed the genre and have created new standards and boundaries, but until the originators are long past dead (or the avs do it again, and again, and again. Then its not really fair to say that 1 album and 1 ep hold enough weight to beat a discography of pioneering albums.

as for the post about why even bother comparing.... why not? I mean thats really what we do here. Discuss music and nit pick about details and explore the disagreements.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2003 8:59 am 

I think it is great to compare albums

both changed my life and and changed the way I look at music. PB I discovered by my during my formative years growing up in the country in the 90's. I was the only kid in town not listening not to garth brooks. It was because of ANTHRAX's cover of looking down the barrel of a gun that I looked for who worte the original. The day I got my hands on PB was like the truth.

SILY I was there when it came out. Without PB I would not have made my way to SILY. So all musical comparisons aside if it wasnt for PB I would prob be hanging out on the ANTHRAX site.

Lets just hope that the AV's are around for 15 years to work with the q-tips, dust brothers, the biz and all the others that have made them so great.

Also licensed to ill was BB 1st and PB was second. There was a quantum leap there so hopefully the av's improve on SILY which was very close to perfection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:51 am 

for some reason i just really really cannot put the boys and the avs together in one comparison, el prod or not, i just cannot. hell, i can put anthrax and hendrix in the same category but them boys and avs. anyway, boys got the advantage in my book jut because BS2000 is a by product and BS2000 rocks (still the best show i've been to)

be my buddy!

New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next