It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: new finds
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 8:18 am 

ok, taking the advice of a certain board member, i will let the world of the avs forum know about the 2 best new hip hop albums:

K-OS -Exit-
quote from All Music Guide [www.allmusic.com]: Raised by Jehovah's Witness parents and having lived in locales as disparate as Toronto and Trinidad, it's no surprise that Kheaven Brereton, aka K-Os (pronounced: chaos), is a bit different than your average MC. A singer as well as an MC, and a producer to boot, K-Os proved on his debut album, Exit (Astralwerks), that being preachy didn't have to mean being boring. Arriving in early 2003, the LP was dramatically different, with lush, instrument-driven arrangements to go with the traditional hip-hop elements of drum programming, samples, and the like. Acoustic guitar and piano marked the single "Heaven Only Knows"; dub and reggae influences tinged "Freeze." Many of the tracks found the rapper singing, so much so that an argument could be raised about the genre to which K-Os in fact belonged. And that was just the way he liked it. In addition to the original version of Exit, Astralwerks released an extended version featuring three bonus tracks. — Johnny Loftus

AKROBATIK -Balance-
quote from allmusic.com: Boston rapper Akrobatik (born Jared Bridgeman) released his first single, Ruff Enough, in 1998. Independent New York label Rawkus released his second single, Internet MCs, but it was his next release, Say Yes Say Word, that achieved anthem status and solidified Akrobatik's reputation as a talented MC. A frequent partner in rhyme with fellow Bostonian Mr. Lif, Akrobatik appeared on both the Emergency Rations EP and Lif's full-length, I Phantom, before dropping his own debut, Balance, in 2003. — Wade Kergan

both are great records and i figure that since there is so much crap on this board to begin with i can bore you with some hippidy hop. "Exit" is a great smooth album while "Balance" is an awesome raw hip hop one. i saw akrobatik with mr lif and they were really cool on and off stage, so when i saw his record at the store i figured i should support the mc that made me laugh at W!
i havent checked it out but there is a chance that adam oops i mean adrocknaphobia has put K-OS on the ftp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:45 am 

i have heard good things about 'superstarr pt 0' by k-os too... i'd like to hear this stuff and havent had luck with slsk so the ftp looks like the go :)

anyway i have a new find of my own:

check >>>>this<<<< out (~1.5mb mp3)

it is a fairly fucked up/spazzed out house rmx of r kelly's ignition, complete with ragga breakdown! i'd love to know what yall think of it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:41 pm 

>>here<< is some audio (realmedia) for superstarr pt 0 - very nice... it has that early 90s flavour (see also: crazy in love)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:52 am 

also, still in the hippidy hop realm, the new addition to definitive jux's colection: S.A. Smash, with their album "smashy trashy" which is rather good on the pure hip hop format. there are a few tracks that some friends and i have decided to attempt to replicate next time we jam, that's how good it is.

Post subject: Re: new finds
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 2:37 am 

triptik wrote:
ok, taking the advice of a certain board member, i will let the world of the avs forum know about the 2 best new hip hop albums:

that member must be really really cool...

i havent checked out SA Smash yet. Camu Tao has never reallly been one of my favourite dudes on the Def Jux/MHz/Weathermen roster...but ill have to check it out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:46 am 

well, then dont really bother BUYing it. the few songs i like are good but the whole album is a bit hard to swallow for most. you should just get the song "Illy".... that's by far the best on the album. the rest is very camu tao..... better yet, buy it, copy it, return it.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 6 posts ]