It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 1:12 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: at the moment i am listening to:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:43 pm 

manitoba - up in flames (great)
four tet - rounds (nearly as good...the sadddest piano ever in track six...)
fallacy - blackmarket boy (best thing to happen to uk hiphop since roots manuva)
dj shadow - the private repress (expensive) and the diminishing returns mix (funny)
prefuse 73 - one word extinguisher (everything i hoped it would be)
rjd2 - the horror (obvious)
thomas bangalter - irreversible (affecting)
the polyphonic spree - the begining stages of... (it is sunny outside)
soul position - unlimited ep (it's rjd2, it's blueprint, it's good)

i am excited about new records by radiohead, unkle and ugly duckling, though i haven't downloaded them.

and you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:57 pm 

lumidee - 'never leave you'
young gunz - 'can't stop won't stop'
wayne wonder - 'no letting go'
kanye west - get well soon
todd edwards - full on vol. 1
foxy brown - 'magnetic' & 'open book'
sticky & kele le roc - 'things you do'
curtis lynch junior, kele le roc & red rat - thinking of you (great sister sledge cover esp the dancehall remix)
seeed - 'release' (or anything using the 'cure' riddim, based on 'close to me' by the cure)
facelift - facelift don't pay no rent (coming soon to good record shops in brighton!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:09 pm 

GirlThursday wrote:
curtis lynch junior, kele le roc & red rat - thinking of you (great sister sledge cover esp the dancehall remix)

8O

Sacrilege!

Simon going to need some convincing on that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 4:49 am 

amazing grace spiritualized - jason and gang get all iggy and the stooges on us - quality :)

solitaire only child - mighty fine, although undecided yet how it holds up to satellites and constellations

dial m for monkey bonobo - simon green surpasses animal magic with this excellent follow up

a strangely isolated place ulrich schnauss - just gets better & better

american whip joy zipper - fantastic album that, due to david holmes' 13 amp label having ties with ministry who are financially fucked after the fischerspooner fiasco, may never see the light of day. still, that's what soulseek's for :D

goodbye swingtime the matthew herbert big band - housemeister herbert gets all swing on us - it takes a few listens but the rewards are worthwhile

strictly business epmd - can't get enough of these old school hip-hoppers at the moment 8)

backroom beats (volume one) groovypanda - exemplary mixing, exquisite tracks, funky acid basslines - it doesn't get much better than this ;)

before the dark cinema recorded music library - superb album from the band who's pendulum was recently featured on the audi advert

sounds from the thievery hi-fi thievery corporation - a great summer album

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 5:06 am 

Christopher O'Riley (piano) - Knives Out
Otes - New New York
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Tick
Loon - How You Want That
Calexico - And Again So...
Grandmaster Flash - Freedom
!!! - Storm The Legion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:09 am 

A few of these have been mentioned already, groovypanda hit the nail on the head with Ulrich Schnauss - A Strangely Isolated Place, this album is great, im loving it even more than his first.

in no order

Prefuse_73-One_Word_Extinguisher-ADVANCE-2003-ESC
ugress - resound (dunno when this is from or even who they are, but it aint bad)
Scsi-9-Digital_Russian-(Force_Tracks)-CD-2003-BEX
Ralph Myerz and The Jack Herren Band - A Special Album
m83 - dead cities red seas and lost ghosts-advance-2003-esc
Breakbeat_Era-Ultra-Obscene (still one omy me fave DnB albums)
Bjøorn_Torske_&_Zak_Frost_Present_-_Scando_Nøva_Rgl_2002
VA - Mixed by DJ Strangefuit and Abstract - O' What a Day
Si_Begg-Directors_Cut-(Novamute)-2003-DPS
Plump_Djs-Eargasms-ADVANCE-2003-ESC
Mr_Velcro_Fastener_-_Thales_Of_Miletos-CD-2003-CMG

I've found myself getting more and more into Norwegian stuff, especially stuff from Ralph Myerz, Bjorn Torkse and DJ Strangefruit, i can highly recommend the new Plump's album as well, it rocks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:38 am 

Minotaur Shock - Chiff Chaffs and Willow Warblers - something I heard bits of when I was in Australia, but it's taken me this long to follow it up since my return. Gentle electronica, a bit like Boards of Canada mixed by King of Woolworths

Bonobo - Dial M for Monkey - see Matt's comments. Excellent.

ELO ft Olivia Newton John - Xanadu - erm.... I just like it, OK?

Mirwais - Miss You (Thin White Duke mix) - been waiting for this to come out for ages, then it crops up on Fabric 09, and now in the Angel HMV....

Badly Drawn Boy - Hour of the Bewilderbeast - just LOVE this album.

The Go! Team - Junior Kickstart (does anyone actually remember junior kickstart? Hours of fun watching scratty kids smashing their nuts on the petrol tank of their bikes as they fell off the narrow plank across the big whole..... and Peter Purvis)

King Biscuit Time - I Walk the Earth - something I'd known for ages without having a clue what it was..... really cool pop tune from Beta Band blokey.....

Dandy Warhols - We Used to be Friends, probably going to get old quickly, but for the time being I'm thoroughly enjoying.

Wings - Band on the Run - Thanks to Dexter for making this acceptable again.... seem to be hearing it around and about at the moment. Reminds me of long car journeys as a child.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:43 am 

I should say that IMO Jacques le Contes can do no wrong at the moment.... his fabric mix has made excellent listening whilst trying to paint Emma's flat, and the various Thin White Duke mixes have been pretty stellar.... he's also done a kinda booty of Steve Miller's Abracadabra with the Röyksopp mix of Mekon's Please Stay, which went down VERY well at Return to New York on Sunday..... :)

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:22 am 

Top thread as always - plenty to chase up and think about when I go on hols next week!

Anyway, currently listening to:

The Magnificent Romeo- Basement Jaxx v The Clash (finally got around to burning it on CD)

Ballad of a Hellraiser - Freelance Hellraiser (as above)

Baby Elephant Rock-a-bye - MC Honky (been a bit slow to get into his after reading about earlier in the year. Like this one the best of the album and a good departure from the eels material)

Move Your Feet & Rhythm Bandits - Junior Senior (for some reason watching Eurovision last week got me in the mood for this again!)

Rock Aria! - ELO (I think she's down with Beethoven . . .)

Get Ready - Rhibosome (have been trying to work out who they sampled . . . Betty Boo, Roxanne Shante, someone else who is outside my limited list of references?)

Ring of Fire - Johnny Cash (in memory of June Carter)

Out of Time - Blur (not quite sold on Think Tank but have found myself humming along lately).

The Go! Team (good to see a band that's got people talking, or typing as the case may be)

No revelations there I'm afraid but hey, it's fun to share sometimes!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:21 pm 

i like the latest from offcuts - break it down james brown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:24 pm 

goldfish wrote:
GirlThursday wrote:

8O

Sacrilege!

Simon going to need some convincing on that....

haha simon i love the original as much as you but this is a good cover, really! it's sufficiently different from the original to make it a worthwhile excercise, and it really works in its remixed forms (ie. i never heard a bassline like THAT in sister sledge) kele le roc is the vocalist from basement jaxx's 'romeo' and she's very good. (tho it's probably worth noting that this song is from '00 - i found the 12" for $5 in dixons recycled the other day)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:03 pm 

chem wrote:
m83 - dead cities red seas and lost ghosts-advance-2003-esc

this could be my entire list =)

this cd is incredible, hard to find but easy to slsk in the meantime.

(edit: okay, honorable mentions at the moment):

chris de luca - deadly wiz da disco
adult - resuscitation
gotan project - "live at wuk, vienna"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 1:30 pm 

seems i been listening to a lot of stuff other people here are into,

four tet - rounds <fuck i love this guy>
prefuse 73 - OWE
interpol - turn on the bright lights
lou reed - transformer
tujiko noriko - make me hard
stephen malkmus & the jicks - pig lib
50 cent

hey minna, i haven't heard of mosta the people you've listed, would i be right in assuming it's garage stuff? where you hearing about it???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 3:42 pm 

Oh boy, here goes:
Gerling - Who's Ya Daddy EP
Buscemi - Camino Real
The Free Association - Self-titled (Okay so it's a little old, but...)
MJ Cole - Cut to the Chase (No, I don't feel guilty for liking Garage!)
Futureshock - Phantom Theory
Estrella Morente - Mi Cante y Mi Poema
CocoDaSilva - The Shiva Chants (single)
And a few of my summer classics:
Cafe del Mar Vol.2
Armand Van Helden - Gandhi Khan
Emiliana Torrini - Love in the Time of Science

Not getting too excited about anything in the near future though,
Capua
[/b]

Post subject: me
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:46 pm 

i'm listening to:

M83 - dead cities, red seas & lost ghosts
the books - thought for food
the rapture - echoes
television - marquee moon
prefuse 73 - owe

ps. as of 3:30 this afternoon there was a copy of el producto selling for $28 at dixons on brunswick street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:55 pm 

as for me...

prefuse 73 - one word extinguisher
leonard cohen - new skin for the old ceremony
smog - supper
grandaddy - sumday
the thrills - so much for the city
the go! team - junior kickstart ep
stellastarr* - somewhere across forever ep
glen campbell - wichita linesman
the sleepy jackson
lemon jelly - 6mix

and a whole load of old pavement stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 11:54 pm 

hi arikari, don't feel a chump!!! & by the looks of it you do have very similar music tastes to the rest of us - obviously the avalanches but manitoba, sigur ros, boards of canada & mogwai have all been mentioned round here quite a lot :wink:

i've been listening to a lot of old stuff cause i'm quite skint but a couple of new purchases have been

fabric - jacques le cont
badmeaningood - peanut butter wolf
dj shadow - the private repress (really like the unkle remix of gdmfsob with roots manuva & z-trip remix of right thing)
soul jazz records - miamai sounds (not as good as hustle! or studio one soul but a few choice tracks on there)

absolutely loads of stuff i want at the moment but i'm trying to hold back :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 3:08 pm 

peal'n'eat wrote:
hey minna, i haven't heard of mosta the people you've listed, would i be right in assuming it's garage stuff? where you hearing about it???

actually not that much of it is garage... i shall elaborate.

lumidee - 'never leave you' -this is a rnb song i guess, done over the 'diwali' dancehall riddim (see: sean paul - get busy). lumidee has a very raw, amateurish delivery but it really works on this track, it has a lot of flavour. odb's come back single as dirt mcgirt jacks this song.

young gunz - 'can't stop won't stop' -on rocafella, young chris n neef do their mischievous and low key rap over a minimal old skool sounding atari ping pong beat, along the line of neptunes latest old skool pared back stuff (see: skillz - va banger). very sexy! "cant stop wont stop/rocafella records cos we/we get down baby/get down/girls they girls they love us/cos we stay fresh to death yo the best nuthin less"

wayne wonder - 'no letting go' -another one on the diwali riddim but a lot slicker, sweeter & lusher than lumidee.

kanye west - get well soon -another rocafella! this one is about him breaking his jaw in a car accident, very entertaining & a hot beat

todd edwards - full on vol. 1 - ok now we have garage! 'perfect love' is amazing.

foxy brown - 'magnetic' & 'open book' - yall know foxy.

sticky & kele le roc - 'things you do' -yes, def garage. i found this one on http://www.ukgmusic.cjb.net , they have a lot of wma files available for download.

seeed - 'release' (or anything using the 'cure' riddim, based on 'close to me' by the cure) - more dancehall.... this one is actually pretty annoying lyrically but the riddim is hot. i'd also take a listen to the 'egyptian' riddim if i were you!

facelift - facelift don't pay no rent (coming soon to good record shops in brighton!) - e crunk from spizzazzz's masterpiece. he will kill me if he finds out i've been talking about it.

Post subject: currently jiving to ...
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:25 pm 

my list will probably be boring ..

The Go! Team - "Ladyflash"
Elliot Smith - "Figure 8"
Kraftwerk - "Man Machine"
Ween - "Painting The Town Brown"

Os Tres Morais - "Freio Aerodinamico"
The Rapture - "House Of Jealous Lovers"
The Soft Pink Truth - "Promo Funk"
Weird al Yankovic - "Angry White-Boy Polka"
Captain Bullant - "mixymatosis"