It is currently Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:01 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Win Tickets to De La Soul: Closes 21st May
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 10:16 am 

We have four double passes to DE LA SOUL'S shows (one double pass per city).

Check the official tour website: http://www.stealthmag.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 2:39 pm 

just a thought...

think we could make some rule about no fucking advertising? i don't think the forum is about that.

please.

Post subject: Yeeeeaaaah
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 12:19 pm 

If I wanted to win tickets to DE LA SOUL then I would think that post was a service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:00 pm 

adrocknaphobia wrote:
just a thought...

think we could make some rule about no fucking advertising? i don't think the forum is about that.

please.

Agree.

We've got one now, who's to say we won't get more.....

Stealth Mag, if you want to contribute, do, if you're just going to post ads, that are irrelevant to half of us anyway, we're not interested.... ta!

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 3:03 am 

yeah piss off with the advertising :twisted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 12:51 pm 

right on stealth, just do it without the banner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:00 pm 

here here

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:48 pm 

ah come on...give the guy a break.

mark is a fucken sick cunt, and stealth mag is fucken dope.

coming from various boards where having such advertising in your signature is not a problem, and coming here, where there is no restriction on that function...gotta give the guy a break.

i mean sure...if you dont want advertising, thats fair. but you dont have to be so rough. you could just tell him nicely to remove it. and i mean...its not just blatant advertising...he's giving away free tickets to de la soul...last time i checked, they were pretty popular, and there's a fair chance people would be interested...i fucking hell want free tickets to see them!!!

but yeah. whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:55 pm 

fat ho wrote:
i mean sure...if you dont want advertising, thats fair. but you dont have to be so rough. you could just tell him nicely to remove it. and i mean...its not just blatant advertising...

I wouldn't care if he was just a normal poster like the rest of us, with a Stealth Mag flyer in his sig/whatever.... it's the fact that the only posts from Stealth Mag are always totally unrelated to The Avalanches and are only there to spunk up his mag.

Which is bollocks.

This is an Avalanches forum. If you're going to contribute, contribute. If you're just going to spam the board with advertising, I think you're taking the piss, basically.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:53 am 

goldfish wrote:
it's the fact that the only posts from Stealth Mag are... only there to spunk up his mag.

now, now...you were speaking of bollocks?

check the three posts he has written.

1) informing people of a competition. yes, run by his mag, but a competition that people here would be interested in nonetheless. i would say a lot of avalanches fans would also like de la soul.
2) defending himself, and pointing out people can win FREE DE LA SOUL TICKETS.
3) ANSWERING A QUESTION, that was put forth by a "normal poster like the rest of us."

and yes, in the third post in response to the question about next level, he gave the link to the forum he runs. but is this such an absurd thing?

if you wanted to know whats happening with THE hip hop specialty store, that caters mainly for aussie hip hop heads...wouldnt you think a forum of aussie hip hop heads would be a good place to find out?

now...it may be different for other types of music, but because the aussie hip hop scene is so small at the moment, it is very close knit scene. and its through these forums that you are most likely to find the answers you are after, since everyone knows each other, and someone will always know the answer. and of course, the people who run Next Level would be able to respond to questions themselves.

so yeah...while i do understand your point about people coming on here just to advertise stuff, i think it is a totally unfair, and just plain wrong, statement to make about his posts.

lets get something straight here...if that stealth banner was not in his signature, would there really be any fuss? i dont think so...

think about people who have come on to the board (this one, and the old version) solely to post up links to their bootlegs or whatever. noone seemed to complain about that...

in my opinion, the only valid complaint would be about having banner advertising. and that shouldnt be a complaint dircted at Stealth, but a suggestion made to clint to remove the function.

but yeah...whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:27 am 

pat, looks like you've been spending too much time on the world forums over at dirty... :P

Post subject: HA
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 10:09 am 

I'm really a nice, respectful guy you UK msg board Nazis. Nah but seriously I'm not coming on here saying BUY MY MAGAZINE. I came on here to let ppl know they could win tickets to an expensive gig that has almost sold out - in Australia.. .on a message board run for an AUSTRALIAN group. I'm not even putting on the DE LA SOUL event - just offering tickets to give away.

If there was a rule about not posting such things or having banners in your signature then I wouldn't have. But there wasn't (that I came across) so get over it.

I know it rains a lot in the UK but you don't have to be so gloomy. :lol:

Shoutouts to Dexter.

Peace
Mark

Post subject: Re: HA
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 11:49 am 
Site Admin

Stealth Magazine wrote:
I'm really a nice, respectful guy you UK msg board Nazis. Nah but seriously I'm not coming on here saying BUY MY MAGAZINE. I came on here to let ppl know they could win tickets to an expensive gig that has almost sold out - in Australia.. .on a message board run for an AUSTRALIAN group. I'm not even putting on the DE LA SOUL event - just offering tickets to give away.

If there was a rule about not posting such things or having banners in your signature then I wouldn't have. But there wasn't (that I came across) so get over it.

I know it rains a lot in the UK but you don't have to be so gloomy. :lol:

Shoutouts to Dexter.

Peace
Mark

:)

yeah i wonder if the tickets were for uk / wales / washington shows there'd have been the same response. cheer up guys.

ps. nice mag as well

Post subject: LOL
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 4:02 pm 

Thanks site admin.

i think the Avalanches have been adopted by the UK. ha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 11:58 pm 

never thought to ask this before, but is there an "ignore poster" feature on this board?

seems that could solve things for those who don't buy the "i'm giving away a ticket that none of you will win and most of you don't care about but it justififies me spamming the board with plugs for my magazine" routine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:18 am 

Ah Riko my dear friend. How am I spamming anything? I put up one post about this, got attacked and am defending myself. I don't see the plugs and since the comp date has closed I'd be more than happy for Admin to close this topic.

It's bringing out the jaded side of too many of you.

Get over it. Be happy. Ignore it. Go watch CNN.

Post subject: this has nothing to do with the quality of the marketer
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 10:15 am 

like i said b4. my beef is only with the banner. i think we can all tolerate if he want's to use 'Stealth Magazine' as his username. I just dont want to see the ugly banner ads. If you hadn't noticed there are no banner ads anywhere on the avs site. If you wish to post banner ads, the least would be to throw avs.com some loot. Atleast then it would be an act of supporting the site and forum, not a marketing campaign geared at it users.

I don't think any of us needs to argue the semantics here. Giving away tickets is advertising. Sure, it's better than most, but you are soley motivated to do so to promote your magazine. Saying otherwise is quite frankly insulting our intelligence.

Stealth would be best to promote the magazine by posting Stealth's top 10 tracks, or maybe post an article from Stealth. (minus the ugly banner)
I'm inclined to agree that Stealth is probably a great magazine (since ho says so) but regardless of the quality the banners are still offensive. I wouldn't be down with Calvin Klien advertising on this board, and I snuggle my nuts with thier products

I just have an interest in keeping this board pure from any "organization"'s influence. I'm interested in the opinions of music lover's whose opinions are not for sale.

but since we're posting banner ads. I'd like to post one I made:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 1:39 pm 

drop the banner.. if everyone wacks up a banner.. then the pages will be heaps longer and nobody needs that.

One of the things I have always liked about this forum is people dont have a stupid little picture underneath their username.

apart from that... i had to buy my ticket but still am stoked with getting to see de la on sat night.

pottholes in my lawn

Post subject: Re: this has nothing to do with the quality of the marketer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:36 pm 

ahahaha...come on dudes. what the fuck???

as i have said: IF YOU DONT LIKE THE BANNERS, COMPLAIN TO CLINT.

is the option to have a banner there? so isnt it fair to assume it can be used??? i mean, its not like having a banner really affects anyone. it doesnt adversely affect anyone else's posts. just ignore it. just like someone who think's what i say is a crock of shit will skip past any of my posts, just skip past the banner.

but if it really makes your life unbearable for some reason...tell clint. rather than giving every person that comes on here a hard time, and scare them away from ever contributing...if its really that bad, clint can remove it.

and is it just me, or did Clint already post in this thread, and it didnt seem to bother him...ahaha.

anyway...

adrocknaphobia wrote:
Giving away tickets is advertising. Sure, it's better than most

for sure.

adrocknaphobia wrote:
but you are soley motivated to do so to promote your magazine. Saying otherwise is quite frankly insulting our intelligence.

what a fucking crock of shit. how the fuck do you claim to know someone else's intentions and motivations?

maybe he is purely motivated by promoting his magazine, but if you ask me, its most likely that promotion is just part of it. if you knew anything about Mark, you would understand his love of hip hop, and his involvement in the australian hip hop scene, and in bringing dope international hip hop artists down to australia. he put together the Sound Summit conference/festival, whch is an annual event for independant electronic and hip hop music, with such guests as Sage Francis and Anticon. this guy is in it for the love.

so yeah...i feel i have a more educated guess as to his motivations than you. and if you ask me, yes, for sure...the ticket giveaways are part of promotion for his magazine. but it's a lot more than that. someone gave him tickets to give away, and he's passing these on to lucky hip hop fans. how the fuck else are fans supposed to know about ticket giveaways? he's just helping to support hip hop in this country.

and its not just advertising for his magazine. it is advertising for De La Soul. where the fuck do you think he got the tickets? and by helping advertise for De La Soul, more people will attend the shows, and then more international acts will be brought our way. much like any other shows that are posted up on here: they are good for us directly in that we can find out shows that interest us, and they are good indirectly, as the more people who attend shows, the more shows there will be.

adrocknaphobia wrote:
I just have an interest in keeping this board pure from any "organization"'s influence. I'm interested in the opinions of music lover's whose opinions are not for sale.

Stealth isnt the fucking Source. not all magazines opinions are for sale. as i have said, stealth is a hip hop magazine for hip hop heads, by hip hop heads. these guys are in it for the love of hip hop.

so yeah...get over it dudes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 1:02 am 

Simmer down Pat.

The point people have been making (correct me if I'm wrong guys) is that if it's someone who contributes to discussions on the forum, they'd be welcome to plug whatever the hell they want. Personally I wouldn't care about the banner on the same basis, but I understand that some people do.

The fact is (and I have to say, with the greatest of respect, your analysis of the promotional content of Stealth's posts so far was a bit weak ;) ) that ALL he does is flog his bloody magazine. It might be the greatest magazine in history, and the most important facet of the Aussie or World Hip Hop industry. But in the absence of worthwhile, interesting or relevant contributions to discussions on the board, for the time being, it's nothing but spam.

I'm not rising to the bait about this being an Aussie v Brit or Aussie v American thing, because it's a weak and insulting argument. I semi expect it from Stealth 'cos he doesn't appear to have the first fucking clue what the people here are like, and why would he? He never contributes to the forum! But I'm disappointed that that's the conclusion that Clint came to, because I would've assumed he might know us better (maybe he wants a free subscription? ;) ).

As for knowing anything about Stealth as a person, we asked to be given the chance, but seeing as he doesn't say anything, and as the Aussie hip hop scene isn't of the greatest interest to a lot of us (including a number of the Aussies, IIRC), we're not likely to be able to find much out, are we?

At the end of the day, it's The Avalanches' board, that Clint moderates, and we're guests at, so all we can do is express our opinion, and if nothing happens, nothing happens. We'll just ignore Stealth's posts in the same way we ignore yours, as you suggest.... ;)

Simon

New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next