It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:44 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: New Buffalo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 6:42 pm 

Love her music, I think she's from Sydney aswell, but I can't find any info about her music on the net... anyone know of any sites? Best song: Last Night.

Post subject: new buffalo
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 7:26 pm 

she's called Sally Russell (also Darren from Avalanches girlfirend)
you can get a bit of info from modular records http://www.modularpeople.com/
tho admittedly it's not updated that often!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:36 pm 

All i know is that they had a short article on her in NME last november or something, and a little review when the EP came out. Its not too hard to get hold of, i think amazon have it, i picked mine up from HMV Oxford St.

other than that, i havent been able to find any other info on her on the web, so i guess you'll have to move to sydney and stalk her to find out more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 8:46 pm 

Quote:
Shows
New Buffalo return to Revolver Upstairs on Friday, January 11th with Melbourne indie-guitar stalwarts Gersey and Minimum Chips; and a special solo show on the following Wednesday at The Empress, 16th January, with support from The Friendly Injun and Lara Meyerattken.

More Love for the Buff...
This time it's an NME review of New Buffalo's UK single release out now on Heavenly Recordings....

New Buffalo
16 Beats/Just A Little Time
This is absolutely sublime, and just a whisker away from Single Of The Week. Meet Australian singer/songwriter Sally Russell, who swoons and sobs and harmonises with her own disembodied voice over electro-acoustic moodscapes, lo-fi bellows, organ effects and woozy vibraphone squelches. These two vinyl tracks are both incredibly simple yet effortlessly lovely, with echoes ofMy Bloody Valentine, Bjork and Madder Rose in their sensual, heart-melting, alien textures. Gorgeous.
[Stephen Dalton]

New Buffalo Playing in the UK and Australia...
New Buffalo's Sally Russell is receiving accolades from across the globe in recognition of her 'About Last Night' EP. With superb reviews rolling in at home ['Single of the Week' in the Melbourne Age's 'EG' supplement on October 5, and described as 'drop dead gorgeous' by Inpress], Modular Recordings is pleased to announce that Sally will be travelling to the UK later this month to perform in front of UK audiences with well-known Heavenly Recordings artist Ed Harcourt.

Awarded an 'International Pathways' grant from the Australia Council in recognition of her song writing talents, Sally will be leaving for the UK on November 12 to play the following dates:

Wednesday November 14:: University of Manchester
Thursday November 15:: Waterfront Norich
Friday November 16:: Concorde 2, Brighton
Saturday November 17:: Shepherd's Bush Empire, London

Upon her return there will be New Buffalo shows in both Sydney and in Melbourne. The group will be making their Sydney debut on Thursday December 6 at the Hopetoun Hotel. Following that they will be opening for UK act 'Life Without Buildings' on Thursday December 13 at the Corner Hotel.

Kind Words
Seems we're not the only ones who are in love with New Buffalo...

The Age - EG [featuresingleoftheweek]
With Production help from the Avalanches' Darren Seltmann, the slow and simple melancholy pop songs of Sally Russell take on a gorgeous, glistening air on 'About Last Night'. Her circumspect singing and the analogue keyboard chords are fleshed out with a slew of samples, Seltmann bringing his band's collagist, old-from-new aesthetic to a sad song that says so much. As cut-out orchestral breaks rise and fall, Seltmann sets cascading piano grabs and natty, jazzy rundowns of beats and horns against each other, the swell then retreat sounds laid over Russell singing her sweetest tune, making lines such as 'You're holding hands/The accidental mistake' seem strange and beguiling. The four other cuts on here are all as good.
Anthony Carew

Inpress - [singleoftheweek]
From the apparently dreamy, moonstruck mind of one Sally Russell, one time member of the Sydney group Lustre 4, comes this collection of exquisitely elegant sounds. '16 Beats' opens up with vinyl record hiss and distorted strings, sounding like a My Bloody Valentine layered thing taken over by fairies - then come layers of keys and organs, a simple beat, and Russell's beautiful vocals. The title track blends horns and pianos and strings that combine to sound like an orchestra tuning up and accidentally creating a work of wonder. As for 'This is More' - it certainly is - more than you could have dared hope for. Drop dead gorgeous.

Moving Up a Notch
After months and months of concerning herself with the production of her EP Sally Russell – or ‘New Buffalo’ as she is professionally known – has emerged from the warmth of the studio with five beautiful tracks that will go on to become her debut EP ‘About Last Night’.

Due for release in the month of September, Sally will be escaping the Melbourne winter to spend time in the US and Europe to gather inspiration for future song writing.

But before she heads off, New Buffalo will be given a musical airing, so that Sally may share with the curious her gentle electronic sounds.

NEW BUFFALO
'Am I in a dream?' sings Sally Russell on New Buffalo's debut EP 'About Last Night'. Upon listening to the EP we could find ourselves asking the same question. A five-track affair, 'About Last Night' paints nighttime stories of sweeping melancholia and sample tinged stardust.

Singer/songwriter Sally Russell is New Buffalo; purveyor of vintage keyboard montages and layered vocals. Originally from Sydney, Sally was one of the main songwriters and founding members of Sydney girl guitar group Lustre 4, who played songs of young love and shimmering guitars. Relocating to Melbourne, Sally re-invented her musical style and as New Buffalo created something perennially autumnal and spring - all blossoms and falling leaves.

Other bands and performers have embraced Sally's songs, with Ben Lee, Godstar, SPDFGH and Via Tania all releasing songs written by Sally. New Buffalo's first release was a split-MP3 via Ben Lee's website, which went on to, be downloaded by more than 5000 people worldwide.

Sally sings of places remembered and then re-remembered, both real and imaginary. In New Buffalo dark streets are lined with pine trees; although maps may be torn and doors are sometimes locked New Buffalo is a safe harbour of harmonic refuge. 'About Last Night' is an EP of night stories - sad melody elopes with vocal harmony and makes a moonlit voyage across a patchwork of samples.

'About Last Night' is released through Modular Recordings/EMI on September 10.

from modularpeople.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:08 pm 

Thanks for the info, the pictures on the website are really good quality, aren't they? Very well taken indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:12 pm 

She supported Life Without Buildings at the Corner Show in melbourne last year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:35 pm 

Really? Haven't heard of them, but sounds pretty cool, nevertheless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 11:12 pm 
Try www.heavenly100.com

Post subject: Sally's so dreamy.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 4:42 am 
omg. her split mp3 with Ben Lee is simply wonderful. infact I discovered the avalanches through modular people, while looking for Sally's album. Is it just me, or is she doing some vocals on the SILU LP? I havent gotten around to investigating this issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:57 am 

She does some of the 'opera stylee' singing on Electricity.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ]