It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Interviews
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:26 am 

I've been searching thru the net the last few days for interviews, and I've found some real great ones. If anyone has any links to otehr interviews, I'd love to read them... every one of them seems to have at least one funny moment!

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/music/interviews/avalanches.html
http://www.synthesis.net/music/feature.php?pid=2418
http://www.turntable2k.com/avalanches.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:40 pm 

haha, thanks for those, steve!

Robbie: Umm… One time there was a promoter who owed us money and we nailed an ox heart to the front door of his house.

remind me never to get into debt with an avalanche...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:01 pm 

No problem! I've never really read an in depth interview with them before, usually I just see these semi-views in NME... mostly biographys with the odd quote!

Quote:
At this point, my tape ran out. Luckily, I had a spare. Darren said he could burp for 90 minutes if I needed to fill the tape. I told him he didn't have to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

these are some other recentish ones, sorry forgot to post em earlier.

http://www.xpressmag.com.au/salt/covers ... anches.htm
http://www.threedworld.com.au/feature_6 ... dexter.htm - dexter
http://www.jands.com.au/news2.nsf/HTLat ... 460019A996 - geeky tech. one
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/07/ ... 33213.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 5:39 pm 

haha what is darren on about?!:

"Some of our peers seem to be introducing too much irony into their music and things become a bit of a joke and we find that really offensive. Especially in Daft Punk's last record I thought that they were making fun of the listener. Also, with acts like Britney Spears it reflects badly on music as a whole because it dumbs everything down. It's a shame."

i totally disagree about the daft punk album. i think it's sincere alright.

and britney spears et al? one of the reasons i love the avalanches so much is because they don't make that lowbrow/highbrow distinction. where did this come from all of a sudden?? i'd like to hear him argue his case a bit more cohesively...

dexter makes a lot more sense :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:19 am 

Well, he probably just isn't keen on the second album... in all fairness, both daft punk albums have selected great songs, but usually 2/3's of them seem to be just the same beat for 3 minutes. Not sure bout the Britney thing, maybe he wants her to make smarter songs? :D

But your right, it sounds a little odd, specially...

Quote:
things become a bit of a joke and we find that really offensive

I thought that the whole idea of their songs were to have fun? El Producto's hardly something to be taken seriously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 5:04 pm 

Hey, i did the interview with the avalanches that is up on www.turntable2k.com I noticed someone linked to it so i figured i'd say hello and I hope you all liked it, it was a pretty fun time. Pretty rare to catch them in New York City as well, i guess i lucked out.

Here are a pair of pictures of Robbie, myself, and Darren in their hotel room

Again, thanks for checking out my site and the interview, i appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:48 pm 

[quote] But your right, it sounds a little odd, specially...

Quote:

I thought that the whole idea of their songs were to have fun? El Producto's hardly something to be taken seriously!
[/quote]

Hmmm.. no I get what he's saying, though i disagree about Daft Punk's Discovery..

I think he's saying that if, for instance someone said to him "Oh i love the way you've used daggy strings and wacky voices, it's really funny" He'd be offended - he's saying that they're not trying to be 'jokey' or 'ironic' by using older (often beautiful sounds.)

And that some of his comtemporaries, oh i don't know, say, SONIC ANIMATION, are definitely mining that 'ooh this is ironic, i'm a dj my head is up my ass' kind of joke-ness.

Personally i think irony has no place in music. I was confused for quite sometime when i first heard music described as 'ironic' - i was thinking, "What???"

Captain.

p.s. congratulations if you made sense of any of that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:27 pm 

Wow, those pics are excellent!! It's always great to see band members, I think, in non-studio poses... you kinda get to see what they really look like without all the makeup and such.

I must admit I've never seen Robbie look like that before, those glasses really make him look different!

Thanks for the photos!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:34 am 
Site Admin

Captainbullant wrote:
Quote:
But your right, it sounds a little odd, specially...

Quote:

Hmmm.. no I get what he's saying, though i disagree about Daft Punk's Discovery..

I think he's saying that if, for instance someone said to him "Oh i love the way you've used daggy strings and wacky voices, it's really funny" He'd be offended - he's saying that they're not trying to be 'jokey' or 'ironic' by using older (often beautiful sounds.)

And that some of his comtemporaries, oh i don't know, say, SONIC ANIMATION, are definitely mining that 'ooh this is ironic, i'm a dj my head is up my ass' kind of joke-ness.

Personally i think irony has no place in music. I was confused for quite sometime when i first heard music described as 'ironic' - i was thinking, "What???"

Captain.

p.s. congratulations if you made sense of any of that.

nahh you summed it up well - i think it's really the difference between music having a suttle sense of humour to it, as opposed to relying on gimmicky / gag-based samples to sell a track.

i found that last daft punk record to be really cheesy too, a pretty disappointing effort after 'homework'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:36 am 

Don't they look like a pair of geeks....? It's a wonderful example for all us geeks out there though, and, btw, nice T-shirt Robbie.... ;)

Simon

Post subject: More pixs
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 1:29 am 

There's more pixs of the boys after Mike Garrido's interview
http://www.turntable2k.com/interviews.shtml

New Topic Post Reply  [ 12 posts ]