It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just found the forum!!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 12:45 am 

Hi guys,

Imagine my pleasure at finding a whole forum full of peeps who love the Avalances music as much as me!!

Hope you're all well, any news on a new Avalanches album? Also, I'm curious as to what music you are all listening to. I see a mention of Lemon Jelly. Whats their stuff like? I heard a bit of their gig this weekend which was a part of Radio 1's 'One live in Nottingham' weekend. How about I am Kloot and Reindeer Section?

Later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:20 am 

i suppose i'll do the honours & say welcome

as for other stuff there's a vast aray of similar & very different music about that we all seem to like

dj shadow, rjd2, lemon jelly, cut copy, ermm having total mental block at thi point which isn't very helpful.... david holmes, j5, dj yoda, royksopp, fantastic plastic machine, blackalicious, cornelius, soulwax, coldcut, dj food, this list could be endless now

we're always open to new suggestions - it's the kind of point of a forum in my opinion....

i'll get the thread going with what i've been listening to this week

cinematic orchestra lp everyday - a total grower & they're fantastic live

dj food - kaleidescope (an old one but new to my collection - highlights are pc's the crow & the sky at night & ...you)

david holmes presents the free association lp - looking forward to seeing that live in a few weeks

HUSTLE - reggae disco - utterly fantastic reggae covers of disco classics - check out Latisha's I'm Every Woman & Cathy Cools Upside Down

darker than Blue - Soul from the Jamdown 1973-7 - especially welton irie's hotter reggae music

nuff said

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 5:34 am 

as for me:

beach boys - sunflower

beck - sea change

blackalicious - blazing arrow

j5 - power in numbers

weezer - maladroit

....oh, and did i mention i saw dj shadow and rjd2 live on monday night? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:32 am 

yeah, we all have pretty similar tastes. for example, stuff that i've been getting into lately:

necro
smut peddlers
gravediggaz
machine gun fellatio
cLOUDDEAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:37 am 

aha just joking...well, i do like those people, but i just said them to try and scare you...aha. :)

nah, but yeah...RJD2, non phixion, sage francis, cage, lemon jelly, j-zone, unkle, dj shadow, jurassic 5, el-p, necro, looptroop...and i pulled out some chemical brothers and prodigy the other day...havent listened to them for a bit.

thats the kind of stuff i have been listening to recently.

==============
oh...and LOTS of AUSSIE HIP HOP of course!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 4:12 pm 

yeh let's turn it into a "what have you been listening to" thread. me:

- death in vegas - scorpio rising
- mr lif - i phantom
- beatles - revolver
- dntel - life is full of possibilities
- dj vadim - ussr: the art of listening
- beck - seachange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 10:07 pm 

hello and welcome :)
(i remember how excited i was when i first found this board too)

unfortunately we have no news of a new avalanches album or even ep or single, they have been very quiet, confining their activities (that we know of) to touring + djing locally (i spent a pleasant thursday eve last week with james de la cruz soundtracking my ouzo + lemon squashes (yuck i hear you say? yeah, you're probably right!). however i am quietly hopeful that they've also been putting time in at their home studios!

stuff i've been listening to this week:

count bass d - dwight spitz (see my recent post on this album if you want more info)
mf grimm - iblys blah blah etc. etc.
the ramones - end of the century
dion - born to be with you (i'm on a bit of a phil spector tilt - this came with darren's recommentation and it's really nice)
amerie - why don't we fall in love (single)
playgroup - dj-kicks (this is sikk! :))
kompakt complete volume 1
marvin gaye - i want you (haha, i got a bit of a shock the first time i listened to it and all these female sex moaning noises started up half way through)
juvenile - 400 degreez (got it new for au$5!)

individual mp3s that have been getting a caning:

scissor sisters - comfortably numb
notorious b.i.g. feat. puff daddy and mase - mo money mo problems (oh and did anyone else see diddy + busta +pharrel + a whole city of dancers on the mtv video awards? my eyes popped out of my head!)
gang of four - damaged goods
guns n roses - sweet child o mine (eye-popping in a totally different way for their bit on the mtv awards. axl has not aged well.)
black box - strike it up
janet jackson - what have you done for me lately
clipse feat. jadakiss and styles p - i'm not you
scarface feat. jay-z - guess who's back
mf doom - arrow root
and heaaps of plastic bertrand songs - i only just discovered that he did anything other than 'ca plane pour moi' and i'm very glad i did!

that's way too much from me :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:53 pm 

this week i have been mostly listening to:

dj shadow (who was fantastic on sunday night at rock city - listen to lamacq on monday if you can to hear it...)
lemon jelly - lost horizons (obviously)
atmosphere - god loves ugly
dj krush - shinsou / message at the depth
money mark - push the button
jurassic 5 - power in numbers
ben kweller - sha sha (really good)
bjork - vespertine
underworld - a hundred days off
and blackalicious - nia and blazing arrow (cos i went to see them live the other night and they were great too: 'the best gig ever' - only_sleeping's girlfriend)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 11:19 am 
Site Admin

howdy ian!

my recent listens -

lemon jelly - lost horizons
scarface - the fix
kronos quartet - neuvo
scott walker - scott 3 + 4
rjd2 - your face or your kneecaps mix cd

random mp3

heiroglrphics - soweto
mariachi vargas de tecalitlan
kenickie
xzibit

Quote:
(oh and did anyone else see diddy + busta +pharrel + a whole city of dancers on the mtv video awards? my eyes popped out of my head!)

i didn't have the sound on but saw it - quite the spectacle hey! those guys on the bouncing spring thingys looked amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 3:59 pm 

i welcome you,

i am the coolest mothafucka of the place yo....

i've been listening to LSP (last standing poet)
and 'icy hot stuntaz'
and nelly

oh yes, i get them all on repeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2002 4:13 pm 

yeah, hum.... i was only kiddin.....

i have been listening to a lot of dage francis (thanks to my fat ho) and a lot of the def jux crew this week. as well as the liks newest cd and the good ol triptik "l'ébauche" which is probably the best hip hop record ever put out. i have also been listening to a lot of the new beck and a lot of orbital too.
i have also been listening to a lot of the roots as i prepare myself for their new album (www.okayplayer.com). also this week i found one of my father's old record entitled "C.J.&CO. DEVIL'S GUN"..... fantastic disco record, if only the neighboors wouldn't call the cops everytime the noise level rises.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:09 pm 

GirlThursday wrote:
(oh and did anyone else see diddy + busta +pharrel + a whole city of dancers on the mtv video awards? my eyes popped out of my head!)

yeah...i heard the same thing happened to other people when they saw it...but in a slightly more negative fashion...

i havent actually watched it yet myself...but i have it on tape...ill have to check it out.

GirlThursday wrote:
scarface feat. jay-z - guess who's back

aha...i told you you would like that mixtape didnt i? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:22 pm 

yep pat, it's really good (except for the last ten minutes or so excluding ludacris & aaliyah)

as for mtv, it was a great spectacle. haha, usher didn't even mime at all, he just danced to a recording of his voice. at least p diddy was miming! ;)

Post subject: Wicked response!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 7:25 pm 

Seeing as I started this thread I thought its about time I chipped in again!!

It sounds like everyone has got quite varied musical tastes but there seem to be a few favouirites of mine that keep cropping up!! And a few that I'll definately have to check out.

Just got my first Lemon Jelly album this weekend and it sounds good so far. (lemon jelly.ky) but my surprise purchase of the weekend has been Reindeer Section - Son of evil reindeer. I'm getting in to mellow acoustic sounds at the moment (I go through phases!!) some others I am listening to along these lines are Nick Drake, Alfie, Kings of Convenience, Elbow and of course the Turin Breaks.

I was up in Nottingham last weekend but didnt get to see any bands - thats where I first heard of Lemon Jelly, did anyone catch their gig? - and wehile I was there I was more concerned about getting back down to London. All the bleedin trains were cancelled cos of the wind!!!

Anyway, I'm rambling now!!

Cheers for all the info. Keep it coming.

To all of you down under - jammy sods!! Lived there for a year last year and loved it. Gotta get my ass down there again on a long-term basis. Gotta get kite-surfing off the coast!!! YEAHHH!!

Post subject: far out
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:28 pm 

my music tastes run along the same lines as the rest of the group, but with three weeks in another world my "what have you been listening to lately" is a bit off...

spent halloween in lima - firstly dancing with a bunch of 60 year old peruvians dancing to the criolle/folk music, then i went to a disco full of 16 year olds and danced to peruvian pop - salsa based but every song has a macarena like dance. 8O

simon/emma - can we go to a proper club? please??

v

PS good to see another londoner.

Post subject: Londoners unite!!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:46 pm 

Hi Viv,

Sounds like quite an adventure you've been having!!

Do you know any clubs in London that play the kind of music mentioned throughout this thread? I've only been here a year and its a struggle to find a decent club. I'm all for a bit of cheesy pop or R&B but not EVERY weekend!!!

Madam JoJos in Soho plays some good stuff.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 1:54 am 

I seem to end up going to the Social, 93 feet east or Fabric, but its purely determined by the DJ rather than the venue. Watch out, we're real DJ snobs round here.....

See the thread on dexta in dublin for some good things coming up....

v

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 2:59 am 

Must. Go. To. Trash. Soon.

Post subject: Buttoned Down Disco
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:18 am 

Has anyone ever been to Buttoned Down Disco in UK?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 2:23 am 

no - it's only ever been on once i think - in a bar around the west end - playlist looks good but because of the location can attract an odd crowd t'was a bit of trouble last time from what i heard... the guy who runs it is a frequent poster on the trash board

might be worth checking out once it's got it's feet off the ground

ps simon- next week is midnight mike @ trash don't know what's upcoming apart from that i'll keep me eyes peeled

New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next