It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: just back from seeing rjd2 and dj shadow...
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 10:51 am 

Best. Gig. Ever. :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 4:06 pm 

i was supposed to go and see the defjux show in baltimore the other week but i didn't cause i have no friends interested in paying 15 bucks to see "electronic" music..... i was supposed to meet adrocknaphobia too.... i should have gone alone anyway....... :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:16 pm 

as i have posted to the good people on the mowax board:
a kind of review about the shadow gig on the 27th at rock city in nottingham. he played with fingathing and death in vegas.

fantastic!

the bad things about the whole gig first -

1. nearly passing out as shadow stepped on stage and having to go and get some water - thereby losing my prime position. i watched the gig from the back/side but could see well enough.
2. death in vegas. god they were dull. i can take or leave the music really, but the performance was very drab. lots of droning going on during their set.
3. technical difficulties and delays.

the good things -

1. everything else really - i.e.
2. shadow being nice about the nottingham crowd.
3. the mixes from: halfway home to the number song, and the encore, you can't go home again to midnight to high noon - incredible - where is the wu tang sample from? (something like: 'i represent from midnight to high noon')
4. all references to robin hood.
5. there were loads easy-on-the-eye ladies. (including mary anne hobbs, who close up, is genuinely quite stricking. honest.)
6. seeing a proper hero in my hometown.
7. the lovely visuals. hmmm, zooming into the grooves of a record during fixed income...
8. holding the girl i love during midnight and having 'a bit of a moment'
9. shadow moaning about the lack of radio play that radio 1 are giving six days - 'i guess a government sponsored radio station aren't trying to play an anti-war song right now'. the event was in conjuction with radio 1...
10. the fact it was being taped by said radio station and will be broadcast on lamacq's show on nov. 4th, meaning an mp3 will crop up and i can re-live it!

the whole thing felt really, totally special... and (have you guessed?) i haven't quite got over it yet...

i still haven't got over it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2002 9:30 pm 

only_sleeping wrote:
i still haven't got over it yet.

ah, i know what you mean.

i had 'a bit of a moment' last night, when he mixed stem and giving up the ghost together...unfortunately my girlfriend was at home building a model for uni, so it wasn't quite the same... :wink:

oh, and he said that we ( the glasgow crowd) were the best crowd of the tour... :P

(mind you it was the last night of the tour, and i don't think he was gonna say we were crap... :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:23 pm 

whats the word again...oh yeah: BOH. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:23 pm 

i went to see blackalicious last night and there was lots of 'boh'ing going on in order to show appreciation. i'm really not sure about it, it just sounds kind of weak to me.
i just clap and cheer and nod my head.

blackalicious were outstanding by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 11:45 am 

"boh" used to show appreciation?????

well, lets just make it clear...when i say "boh" i mean UN-appreciation...:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:14 pm 

fat ho wrote:
"boh" used to show appreciation?????

well, lets just make it clear...when i say "boh" i mean UN-appreciation...:P

it's a uk garage ting, innit, y'getme?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:55 am 

oh ok...yeah i know that "boh, selecta" crap...but i thought that was just garage or jungle or dnb or something...has the term infiltrated into hip hop over there or something...

actually...wait a sec...a blackalicious gig you say?...its probably all the "triple j" crowd and people who are into garage and dnb...because blackalicious are one of the groups who would attract such patrons...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:04 am 

fat ho wrote:
oh ok...yeah i know that "boh, selecta" crap...but i thought that was just garage or jungle or dnb or something...has the term infiltrated into hip hop over there or something...

actually...wait a sec...a blackalicious gig you say?...its probably all the "triple j" crowd and people who are into garage and dnb...because blackalicious are one of the groups who would attract such patrons...

it has kind of moved across to the hip hop crowd a little, but blackalicious were actually opening for the streets (i know, the injustice of it all!) so that may explain a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 7:04 am 

blackalitious= hot back up singer!!!!! i will go see them a 3rd time just to see her for the 3rd time! i especially enjoy the alphabet..... besides that they kick ass on stage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:42 pm 

only_sleeping wrote:
i went to see blackalicious last night and there was lots of 'boh'ing going on in order to show appreciation. i'm really not sure about it, it just sounds kind of weak to me.
i just clap and cheer and nod my head.

blackalicious were outstanding by the way.

yeah, saw blackalicious in cardiff on sunday night and they were awesome

gift of the gab's freestyling was phenomenal :)

best night out in ages...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 6:45 pm 

oh, and there was no "bohing" in cardiff just plenty of cheering

highlight for me was either the freestyling, alphabet aerobics or the whole crowd singing the chorus to deception... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 3:23 am 

only_sleeping wrote:
but blackalicious were actually opening for the streets

ah...therein lies the answer...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 8:32 pm 

ahhh you'd think but at the end of both the jacques le contes & cinematics sets on last weeks breezeblock you can distinctly hear much 'bohing' & neither of those come close to being garage or d'n'b

Post subject: DJ SHADOW AT SCIENCE FICTION
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 12:55 am 

Hey,Ive been literally waiting years for Shadow to come to Perth,and now that he is Im not 18!

Anyone have any advice that I could use to somehow get into Science Fiction?I dont know how strict festivals like this usually are on letting people in and what not...

Post subject: Re: DJ SHADOW AT SCIENCE FICTION
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:20 am 

Grave-Architect wrote:
Hey,Ive been literally waiting years for Shadow to come to Perth,and now that he is Im not 18!

Anyone have any advice that I could use to somehow get into Science Fiction?I dont know how strict festivals like this usually are on letting people in and what not...

it depends on how old you are.

if you're under 10 i'd probably say you have no chance. if you're, say, 14 -17 however perhaps a fake beard and platform shoes would work.

unless you're female of course, in which case the beard would probably be a bad idea...

Post subject: Re: DJ SHADOW AT SCIENCE FICTION
PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Grave-Architect wrote:

It really depends, if you're gonna go with other people who're all 18+ you've got more chance getting in than if you're going with other under 18's or by yourself. I've found festivals in Perth are less strict on ID than clubs, but that's not to say you won't get checked...

It's held at the Showgrounds and I heard quite a few people jumped the fence for BDO this year so I guess that's a last resort - bring yer runnin' shoes ehh! :D

PS. Shadow's set will probably be near the end, so I reckon if you're gonna seriously try and jump the fence, better to try at night when security's probably slacked off rather than in the daytime.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 18 posts ]