[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - pump up the jam
The Avalanches

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: pump up the jam
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:23 pm 

i had been bashing the hell out of 'pump up the jam' by technotronic on mp3... and now i hear erol dropped it in one of his sets.... i guess it is time for technotronic! ;)

what else do you reckon is due for a revival? (that the avalanches haven't been spinning already)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 6:25 pm 
Site Admin

i'm sure a lot of those late 80's / early 90's hits are gonna start coming back, it's normally the way after ten years or so, innit?

i might've been imagining it, but i'm pretty sure i heard james play fine young cannibals (she drives me crazy) the other night :)

prince - gett off, c+c music factory - gonna make you sweat, tag team - whoomp..., big audio dynamite - rush are some others that spring to mind...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:46 pm 

i had 'pump up the jam' on 7 inch when i was younger...

i'm like, 10 years ahead of my time... :lol:

Post subject: 80's stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 11:09 pm 

some 80's tunes that have been getting a bit of dusting & playing from me recently have been...

freeze - southern freeze & iou, kriss kross - jump, salt n pepa - push it (tho admittedly that never really got put away!), new edition - candy girl (i have no shame :oops: !), mel & kim - flm (if you can listen to the original 12" do so it's absolutely superb)

on a completely different note I did manage to find a glen campbell cover of god only knows the other day, absolutely beautiful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:04 am 
i bought new kids on the block today...:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:06 am 

aha, damn, i thought i was logged in...

lucky i hadnt replied to the other post bagging minna...:D

and yes, i bought new kids on the block.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:26 am 

Hahaha slight confusion with my post there.... ;)

Can I have another round of applause for the fantastic version of 'You Spin Me Round' by Dead or Alive, that Erol's been flogging recently... :)

Simon

Post subject: ahh
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:39 am 

wee comedy error there simon - you might want to check you're hitting that private message button next time!!

anyways you're right about the cookies I can view the old forum now

see you friday

emma

yey for dead or alive i'm spinning in my chair round & around right round in fact :D

Post subject: DITC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 9:56 am 

I've been busy digging in the crates around brisvegas, searching for more and more classic tracks from whey back when.. currently my favourites are:

Tag Team - Whoop there it is (booty base baby!)
Rock and Roll pt. 2 - Gary Glitter Band (aka Dr Who)
Boney M - Nightflight to Venus & Ra-ra-rasputin
The Mixtures - The Pushbike Song (carn straya!)
Kraftwerk - Autobahn, Tour De France, etc
10cc - Rubber Bullets

90's hip hop like Kris Kros (Jump), Tone Loc (Funky cold medina), De La Soul (3 is the magic number), Young MC (bust a move (i saw bill gates dance to this song!!!))

umm.. 80's rock like the Clash (rock the casbah), Ramones (blitzkreg bop), Motorhead (ace of spades), ACDC (back in black), Black Sabbath (iron man)

christ, i'm waffeling on... these are some of the records i got recently, i'm sure there's a hundred i've forgotten

well, you get the idea :)

Post subject: howzabowt a bitta sheila!!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:20 pm 

Sheila E that is! been droppin `glamorous life` mixed with the jacksons `can you feel it?` round the traps. works a treat. if sufficiently inebriated like to spring these on the crowd:
Midnight Starr - electricity
Robert Palmer - johnny and mary
guy - dance..dance..dance (acapella)
keith sweat - make you sweat
j.geils band - centrefold
dan i - monkey chop
police - walking in your footsteps
ian dury and the blockheads - girls (watching)
rolling stones - miss you (watch `at close range` to see in my opinion best use of this song ever, sean penn is the dude! also christopher walken gettin down to `boogie oogie` priceless.)

Post subject: Re: DITC
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:58 pm 

Teddy wrote:
Tone Loc (Funky cold medina), Young MC (bust a move (i saw bill gates dance to this song!!!))

if anyone's in sydney tomorrow night... apparently tone loc and young mc are supporting kurupt!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:25 pm 

you mean "tha *westcoast* block party" thing?

i think that got cancelled...

when you see shows like that, more than likely the show wont happen. its silly promoters advertising stuff before they even confirmed it...

thats what happened with xhibit before...xhibit had no idea whatsoever that he was supposedly performing in australia...and im not sure if all the people who bought tickets got refunded...dodgy.

Last edited by deixxervaisul on Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: DITC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:26 am 

Teddy wrote:
90's hip hop like...De La Soul (3 is the magic number)

hasn't this always been cool/brilliant/fantastic in a non ironic way?

New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ]