It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new stuff from timbaland and the neptunes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:28 pm 

i thought i'd better mention the new missy elliot single i'm listening to now, 'work it' ... it's excellent :D ... has anyone else heard it?

also, the clipse album. 'grindin' and 'the real' are really fresh, and the whole album is proof that the neptunes still have quite a few tricks up their sleeve

now all we need is a nice new dr. dre single! (though i guess the eminem stuff is still out there... 'business' is good.)

Post subject: NERD
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 8:10 pm 

The Neptunes are great producers ..no doubt about it....but what did you think of the NERD Album? Some of the beats ain't bad but I personally thought it was pants. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 9:45 pm 

i thought it was great but one definitely not to be taken to seriously :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:12 am 

hehe... pharrell's voice can grate - his lyrics are adolescent - there are definite nu-metal elements... and yet i forgive them... :D

i'd say the electronic version would be better than the live instruments one

their best work has definitely been for others though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:11 am 

i am a bit bothered by the music you seem to be enjoying.... i am so sorry that you only get mainstream american stuff so here are a few artists in hiphop that all should listen to more than timbaland and neptunes:
-roots, local to me so thet're great!
-dialated peoples, just plain good hip hop
-lootpack, straight up hip hop
-rubberroom, 13 DJ's and MC's from chicago
-black eyed peas, i don't think they can be concidered unknown anymore but they are still true and great.
-blackalicius, oh yeah!
-jurrassic 5, you know these guys right?
-de la soul, you have to know these guys as well.
-deliquent habits, blaxicans from LA with some fresh latin beats
-beatnuts, nyc's hardest overground artists
-SPM, from texas but has good lyrics
-dirty, southern rap with great sounds for the cadillacs
-haystack, the tighest white mc ever
-funkdubiest, cypress hill protege. good stuff
-scarface, west coast guy with some great skills
-ugly duckling, i don't know anything about these guys but the sounds are very good.
-x-raided, hard hitting west coast "i'm a kill ya" beats

in the hip hop/ rap category i do believe any of these artists are some of the bests on the american continent. i am sure i forgot many many others but i am tired of typing. ask me, if you want, for the best tracks by each of these peeps and i will give you a bunch of them.

peace, and listen to good muzic!

Post subject: NERD electronic or live?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:58 pm 

Personally I prefer the live version of the album better. Reminds me of parliament funkadelic kind of stuff. The electronic versions all sound a bit clinical to me. Still, I'm after a copy of the electronic version of the album. Bloody hard to find now as I think it was only released in Europe.

Post subject: Re: NERD electronic or live?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:26 pm 

kuya wrote:
Still, I'm after a copy of the electronic version of the album. Bloody hard to find now as I think it was only released in Europe.

I don't think you can get it anywhere in Australia, but it is available for order from Amazon. I ordered a copy the other week and it should be here at the end of the month. If people want Ill make it available on soulseek once I get it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:48 pm 

triptik wrote:
i am a bit bothered by the music you seem to be enjoying.... i am so sorry that you only get mainstream american stuff

nah, that's not the case at all... believe it or not some people listen to the neptunes and timbaland voluntarily!!! ;) it's not for lack of anything else to listen to. i like lots of the artists you listed too, particularly de la soul and lootpack, but neptunes and timbo have produced and are still producing some of the most interesting music out there. thanks for the recs though :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:58 pm 

hehe...and that list is not that far from mainstream anyway i would say...

most of that list is what i would call "triple j hip hop"...its stuff that appeals to people that dont like hip hop.

im not saying they are bad...but its the usual suspects...

triptik wrote:
haystack, the tighest white mc ever

i dont know who this guy is...but thats a pretty big call...

and i find most of my favourite mc's are white anyway...

==============

and is it just me...or does "brain" sound very much like lapdance?...and "truth or dare" is not far off either...

wait...they all sound the same...aha.

nah, but i just heard the album, and its ok. i nearly bought the "rock star" 12" today...but i thought the remix and the remix instro were a piece of shit. i think it was jason nevins...

so yeah, i didnt really want to buy it just for the one track...maybe if they had an instro of the original as well...that would be something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:21 pm 

>>pat, you never know your luck<<

(psst, i think the answer is 'boys')

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:38 pm 

how can I tell the electronic version apart from the original? I think I may have spotted the the electronic vinyl at a shop yesterday.

Post subject: Blackican?!?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:22 am 

Triptik, When you come out & say you're bothered by music others are listening to, I at least expect a comprehensive list???

Funkdoobiest dropped their last album in 1995
SPM is a joke & is going to jail for something I can't even list here
Scarface is not West Coast, he's from Houston, TX & long before Dirty South, he founded Rapalot Records (remember Biggie said, ')I'm not from Houston, but I rap-a-lot')??
For the most part, your list was underground in the late 90's. At least give me an "RJD2" to keep it current.

There's no shame in saying I listen to Nas, 50-Cent, Redman, G-Dep...It doesn't have to be underground to be good.

By the way, you could never walk up to someone on the street & ask them if they're "blaxican" so I'd stay away from that phrase...

Post subject: Electronic Vs. Live
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:17 am 

adrocknaphobia wrote:
how can I tell the electronic version apart from the original? I think I may have spotted the the electronic vinyl at a shop yesterday.

I think the cover art is different - more like the graphics on the Lapdance CD single.

Post subject: NERD album
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 5:42 pm 

If anyone could burn me a copy of the original NERD album I'd be most grateful (I've got a copy of the Av's doing rage if anyone's interested in a swap)

I've tried ordering it from the UK - and it turned out to be the re-recorded version with Spymob, even though it had the old graphics on the cover. Given that it was deleted nearly a year ago I don't even know if its available from Amazon....

Andrew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:01 pm 

Andrew,

PLEASE email me!! :) we'll sort something out

captainbullant@hotmail.com

thanks kindly, my good friend.

-CAP'T-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 1:13 pm 

ha; jurrassic-wh :?: ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:12 am 

crip-
alright, first lets clear a little missunderstanding: i made a stupid mistake as i was typing the list and i apologize -scarface IS huston- and i knew that since i own each album since 'the diary'. i was listening to E40 and i was thinking about his name to put next on the list .... but back to scarface or akshen, whatever you want to call him, he didn't found rapalot rec, he was the main star of it. a certain james smith did. it's kinda like bad boy and biggy relashionship.
the term blaxican is used widely by deliquent habits in each album if not in each track. that's why i wrote what i wrote. so don't come to me with that.

fat ho-
I LOVE HIP HOP. all these groups that i put up were for the simple reason of alternative music for people who are far from the american continent. i don't think many people on this site know and have listened to one third of these groups.
also, muderdog magazine claimed haystack was "the tightest white rapper" i was just quoting.

for all-
i have nothing against timbaland and nerd. they are actually very close to where i now live and so i can only have respect for them and their bank account. i just wanted to point out that there are plenty of other musics out there that many haven't heard of and they should b/c it's damn good. my quest is to spread the word about groups that aren't too famous. i wasn't making a list of the most 'underground' artists out there. just pointing out some good music, that's why the list sounds like the usual suspects (p.s. that movie was so predictable i fell asleep).
i have a copy of redman, nas (all his albums) and many more 'radio hits'. i have nothing against them i just wanted to show that there was many much more out there.

now, wanna battle???????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 1:18 pm 

triptik wrote:
i don't think many people on this site know and have listened to one third of these groups.

yeah cool man. but i wouldnt be so sure about that 1/3 claim...anyone who has seen the avalanches dj live, or heard their dj sets would know J5 and de la soul for sure, and most certainly would have heard beatnuts too..

...or even just listened to triple j or r. plus most people would know blackalicious, as they get played on triple j and stuff too. and ugly duckling.

and black eyed peas? i would be suprised if anyone DIDNT know them. (that goes for de la soul, and maybe J5 too).

thats 6 already...and the roots, dilated peoples, are probably pretty well known.

triptik wrote:
muderdog magazine claimed haystack was "the tightest white rapper" i was just quoting.

dont believe everything you read...especially if its a magazine called murderdog...:)

triptik wrote:
i wasn't making a list of the most 'underground' artists out there. just pointing out some good music, that's why the list sounds like the usual suspects (p.s. that movie was so predictable i fell asleep).

yeah cool. its just i read it as being an anti-mainstream post. that seemed to be where you were coming from.

and the usual suspects totally kicks arse!!! :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 4:42 am 

aiight fat ho,

the 1/3 was just a damn figure of speech. i can't believe you couldn't figure that out.

murder dog magazine is an actual magazine with many many djs and rappers who read it. anybody that i have ever met who scratch have heard of it and read it avidly.

next, it's not anti-mainstream.

finally, there's no 'R' in MY ass!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 7:27 am 

triptik wrote:
the 1/3 was just a damn figure of speech. i can't believe you couldn't figure that out.

yo man...i know you werent saying it as a specific figure. what you were saying was that you were offering a list of artists that people might not have heard of. and i was just pointing out that people arent as ignorant as you might think of these artists.

no need to get so defensive bro...im jut telling you that these guys arent as unknown as you might think. i can figure out plenty myself.

triptik wrote:
murder dog magazine is an actual magazine with many many djs and rappers who read it. anybody that i have ever met who scratch have heard of it and read it avidly.

The Source is an actual magazine, with many djs and rappers who read it. anybody that i have ever met who scratchs or emcees have heard of it...and, while most of the dudes i know dont read it, there are plenty of people who do read it avidly.

...does that mean anything whatsoever to me?

i never heard of this mag bro...and with a name like that i assume i probably dont want to. and im not one to let a mag tell me what is dope anyway.

oh, and i just checked out the website...the first thing that came up on the page: "Nelly - August Cover Story"...aha, dope!!!

triptik wrote:
next, it's not anti-mainstream.

again man...i didnt say it was anti-mainstream. i said it APPEARED TO ME to be anti-mainstream. i was telling you where I (and therefore, maybe some other people) was coming from...NOT arguing as to the nature of your post.

triptik wrote:
finally, there's no 'R' in MY ass!

you're absolutely correct man. there is no "R" in "my ass"

...but i wasnt talking about no donkey. :P

New Topic Post Reply  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next