It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vivid show
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:48 am 

I dunno. I was expecting at least some general Avalanches material, or something. Perhaps I was expecting something I shouldn't have; I don't know.

But to enter The Studio at 10PM and leave at around 3AM with merely a few DJ sets by guests, an act from Hypnotic Brass Ensemble (which was quite good mind you) and FINALLY a DJ set from the Avalanches (mainly Darren on decks earlier and then Robbie later?) and to only hear a somewhat regular (but well-chosen and mixed) set was a little disappointing.

I wasn't expecting necessarily lots of new stuff, or not even something new, but at the very least ONE Avalanches track!

Also, quite annoyingly, a bunch of (unappreciative) drunks decided it'd be a good idea to jump up on stage and distract some of the guys from their set [edit: i meant Andee Frost here derp]. At first, it was a little amusing, and I think they in fact let oe of the girls up to hang with them for a bit, but after a while when other people thought it would be fun to join in to, things got a little out of hand. This kind of distracted a little bit, but I guess in thinking about it, doesn't really releate much to my rant earlier- - perhaps I was just jealous that other people got to meet the guys but not really appreciate what opportunity they were getting.

But yes, to have about 5 hours worth of music and not that much of it anything new or special was a let down. That's not to say I didn't have fun - I MOST CERTAINLY DID!

[edit: removed my late night ramble!]

Last edited by halex on Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Vivid show
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:59 am 

I agreee with everything above.

Well-mixed but fairly pedestrian set. No new material that I could detect. Too techy and not party enough for my liking. In fact, people started to leave pretty much as soon as it started.

About the best thing I can say is that i'm glad because it seemed that the lads were only playing records. death to digital djs!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:18 pm 

You guys are thinking of Andee Frost who played NY house and disco after them. He was great but peple did start leaving during his set. One of the Avalanches and David from 2manyDJs was onstage when Andee Frost was playing .

Half the crowd didnt knew what the Avalanches look like or when they were even playing :lol:

Avalanches set was very very good, the room was packed and people were partying but it was a strange room with all the seating. They played some freaky disco and a great pulp fiction edit and a Pixies edit and lots of records i've never heard. No new material from what I could tell.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:33 pm 

jjand j wrote:
You guys are thinking of Andee Frost who played NY house and disco after them. He was great but peple did start leaving during his set. One of the Avalanches and David from 2manyDJs was onstage when Andee Frost was playing .

Haha yeah, sorry, you're right; I should probably proof what I was writing; post time was at 3am. :lol:

Canyons was on before Hypnotic, correct?

Quote:
Avalanches set was very very good, the room was packed and people were partying but it was a strange room with all the seating. They played some freaky disco and a great pulp fiction edit and a Pixies edit and lots of records i've never heard. No new material from what I could tell.

Indeed, it was *very* well mixed! But very short IMHO, haha.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:45 am 

Whoops made a typo & couldn't see where to delete the post & it duplicated, see below.

Last edited by junlim on Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:49 am 

It was bloody awesome, a similar vibe to the other Avalanches DJ sets I've seen. I don't think they played any new stuff (I did leave to go to the toilet & get a drink at some stage) but they did play a dub or remix of Since I Left You, which is the first time I've heard them play their own track in a DJ set.

Halex - It was Bobby & Tony, Darren wasn't there.

funkmaster - They did play CDs as well, it's not what you use, it's how you use it.[/quote]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:15 pm 

Well what a joke I have been an Avalanches fan for many many years.First of all they didn't let any body into the Studio main room until about 10:30.Then the first Dj set from the Canyons was very poor indeed they can do better [if your in one of the most beautiful venues in the world you should put on a show].They didnt read the crowd properly first off.The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble were very good on the other hand.They put on a really good show up until then I hadn't herd their music before.

Finally 12.00 came the time the Avalanches Djs were meant to come on according to officals of Vivid.On Came Tony who I thought had left the group and some other dude who kinda looked like Robbie but wasn't.He started the set with Janes Addiction-Been Caught Stealing which I believe was either their own edit or a single dub mix.then it was all down hill from then on.Tony hardly touched the decks and seemed to just hang around drinking while the other dude Dj'd.

Next came Andy who started out ok but kinda got boring after a while.I was begining to wonder was this a Joke or what.I had been up since 4:00am that moring because I had to fly in from interstate to see the Avalanches.I wait to around 2:00am in the hope of seeing them but got pissed of waiting around for them.

Why the hell did they have all thoses decks set up and only one lot would be in use at any given time.Seen the Avalanches Dj many time and they use all the decks not just one at a time.

very dissapointed indeed to not have seen them and spent alot to go see the supposable Avalanches Dj

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 pm 

I agree with the last post....i dont know why some people on here are being so nice about the show that they gave?? I flew interstate too to see the avalanches! i never even knew for sure if they were on?? they never even got introduced as the avalanches so someone like me who has no idea what they look like (especially in a dark club) would even know if it was them! AND they were the headline act. The set that was played was a) short and b) very very basic! i mean common, SNP - Push it! & Daft Punk - Around the world!???

On the VIVID website is says:

"It's "vinyl beware" when The Avalanches go into DJ mode, as these turntable terrorists scratch, bend, fold and mutilate the music in ways other DJs can only dream of"

"fifty gazillion songs go into their sonic blender, emerging remixed, remade and remodelled"

"Their sets will be the glue that holds this freewheeling club night togethether"

HA Bullshit!!

The real qusetion is why??

Iv never seen them play live before but i know for sure they are capable of putting on a much better show then that. its stupid coz it was a relatively small crowd that got sold out in minutes so the people there were mainly serious fans of them so y disappoint them?

I respect their craft n all but i kinda lost respect for them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:01 am 

In other Vivid news, Spiritualized was fucking amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:51 pm 

hi all - long time listener, first time caller.

I too travelled interstate for the Livid gig. I agree it wasn't exactly spectacular. Evidently I (and some of you, by the looks of it) had pre-imagined the gig would be something extra special, given: a) the prestigious venue; and b) the length of time since last public appearance (ie 4 years!).

When we got a fairly regular 47 minutes of Avalanches, we were a bit disheartened, even though in a different context/time/place, we would have been absolutely satiated, and had a blast.

HOWEVER: to those few saying they feel cheated, ripped off, or whatever - that shit just don't hold water, folks. You can't blame someone else if you're not even sure you saw the group you came to see perform! I can't even really fathom that scenario.

The Avalanches, in my opinion, are so deeply misunderstood/misrepresented by the industry, the media, sometimes thier label... and even their own fans. They have always been anti-hype. To avoid a grandoise introduction to their set is completely their style.

When Robbie and Tony came on stage, I overheard a punter say, "Who are these guys? They must just be doing a bit before The Avalanches." So, I concede that the majority of people have no idea what the band looks like, but I would have thought if you visit this forum, you've at least seen pictures of the members. If you're anticipating a hyped-up, blinged-up hip-hop-looking crew to come on stage, or a trendy, fashionable-looking dance music posse (a-la several other Modular acts), then you're misguided.

Darren's absence was a little saddening given that (according to Rolling Stone) he and his wife now live in Sydney. I can only assume that they were elsewhere, possibly rehearsing for the Seltmann/Blasko/Throsby tour that starts in a couple of weeks. He's also got a 1-year-old child for fuck's sake. Fingers crossed he's around when the real publicity for their upcoming stuff starts.

As for the set itself - it was good with occasional flashes of brilliance, like the Pixies part already mentioned. They played Panda Bear, Jane's Addiction, Justice, Rogers&Hammerstein, Franz Ferdinand, Notorious BIG, The Broads, some other novelty records. And Salt'N'Pepa. What's wrong with Salt'n'Pepa? Too cliche? Ironic? Cool? Not cool enough? To the person complaining: that section of the mix was recycled from the gig they did at Splendour a few years ago - the very same set that has taken on seemingly legendary status on this board and in other places. That night WAS ridiculously fun ... see how context and expectation can change your perception of essentially identical material? Granted, the Opera House Studio was a strange room with a strange mix of audience. NB: the version of Around The World was actually a bootleg 'disco' cover version, that came out in 2009. I'd never heard it before, but a quick bit of googling helped out with the details just now.

For the technically inclined, they had two CDJs and two turntables. They seemed to use mostly CDs with occasional records. Yeah, Tony did only a few sections and consequently seemed kinda auxiliary. The other turntbales to the left were (evidently) Andee Frost's.

He's the guy that came on when they were finished, in a crazy pink jacket. I agree, a lot of people there assumed he *was* The Avalanches. A 'crazy' looking guy hamming it up a little in an outrageous pink jacket. Down the front a bunch of girls were calling for Frontier Psychiatrist over and over. I'm only guessing here, but I doubt that either he or The Avalanches would take requests, especially for their own songs.

That said, to those debating whether they ever include their own stuff in DJ sets, I've heard Electricty, Since I Left You, Tonight, Radio, Frontier, Hearts in 3/4, and A Different Feeling, used on various occasions. At VIVID, they did include the hook from Since I Left You toward the end. Buy they've made no secret in interviews (going back a few years now) that they're not exactly 'fond' of Frontier Psychatrist any more.

And so back to my original, ranting point: The Avalanches seem to me, to be misunderstood. I don't know what audiences imagine them to be, but whatever it is, they're not that. I realise this has probably come off as some sort of uber-indie-snob "oh, i'm superior, you just don't get it, I'm so down and cool!!!" sermon/rant delivered from on high, but it's not that. I just get frustrated when the obvious talent these guys have is overshadowed, particularly by JJJ/Modular devotees and their expectations of The Avalanches to be these wild, techno-party throwing mash-up dudes, more akin to, say, 2ManyDJs. Have you not heard the Concretes remix? the Belle and Sebastian remix? "Tonight May Have to Last Me My Whole Life"? The Franz Ferdinand remix? The band are more than one-dimensional, and are sometimes confounding... these are the same traits that have contributed to our consideration of artists like Bob Dylan and The Beatles as 'geniuses.' I'm not comparing their importance; just making an observation about perception.

So, yeah, I was ultimately underwhelmed by The Avalanches' VIVID appearence, when all is said and done. It didn't meet my fantastical expectations. And I do not for a second think excuses should be made for any performer who delivers a phoned-in, half-hearted, lousy gig. But chirst almighty, they never once claimed we were getting a super special, over-the-top, guaranteed-to-rip-your-face-off genre re-defining show. To see such revered guys for $40 bucks in the country's most iconic venue and then claim that you were ripped off or lied to is, I think, slightly misguided.

And perhaps some of the blame for that does lie with the way VIVID was promoted.

-Hanzi

PS: Suleman, the other thing I would agree with about your post (and I think most people would) is that The Avalanches are capable of putting on a much, much, MUCH better performance. I hope you get the opportunity to see that some time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:17 pm 

Ok, I agree to a certain extent to what you are saying but for someone like me who payed for flights/accommodation/tickets (overpriced on ebay mind you!) i was for sure hoping for something more. And no i was definitely not expecting a overhyped hip hop douche bag fist pumping ect type dj set (i dont think any real avalanche fan was), but it WAS false advertising in my honest opinion. Not sure who is to blame for that but have a look at the VIVID websites description of the night and compare it to what happened! I have seen photos of the members but i was not close enough to see their faces and have no idea of what they may look like now. Y not at least introduce the group like they did the HBE?? Although i didn't know for sure if it was them or not i made sure i was paying attention to every act. Nothing wrong with SNP but u hear stuff like that at most clubs. i dunno i was hoping to hear all these cool/original & rare/samples/effects all mashed up.

I hope when they do start touring again that they actually put on proper avalanche style show that i would imagine they can put on and i hope that i get to see it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:29 pm 

Yeah, totally, understood. You have every right to feel disappointed, obviously - that was your experience! The extra costs you incurred would feed into that.

And I take your point, and agree to an extent, about the misleading promotion. In fact reading back over my rant, I think that's where my real beef was - not so much with the audience (and certainly not with a fan like yourself) but maybe the VIVID promotion .. it did create the sense this was going to be a 'no holds barred' performance, not to be missed. We can all agree it wasn't that. Excellent mixing and some cool tunes? Definitely. But not on the scale of, say, the intense batshit craziness of the first Laneway festival headlining.

I do hold that they are a misunderstood group, though. And again, I cincerely hope that if they genuinely hit the road soon, you get to witness something really special. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:40 am 

Here's some video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdxWKmaY ... rofilepage

the songs are:
Gary’s Gang - "Do It At The Disco" (Columbia, 1978)
Mr Oizo - "Patrick 122" (Ed Banger, 2007)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:20 pm 

I consider myself a big fan of The Avalanches, but I have no idea what they look like, so I wouldn't have known if I were there either.. For me it's about the music, and not what they look like. I've seen pictures and tv-footage before, but who cares what they look like, i forget their faces and keep enjoying their music. Seems like if I'm ever going to an AVS show I have to bring pictures of their faces to see know when they are performing. If I had made an effort to see the firt AVS apperance in 4 years, and what I've read here was what I got, I'd be seriosly pissed off..

/Rant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:42 pm 

I'm actually only into the avalanches for how they look - I dont care what kind of music they make. They could be doing craig david remixes for all I care. Matt would like that.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:27 pm 

jarrod wrote:
I'm actually only into the avalanches for how they look - I dont care what kind of music they make. They could be doing craig david remixes for all I care. Matt would like that.

Lol :D

And I put that track on my new mix just for you too mate.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ]