[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - If SILY was a book...
The Avalanches

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: If SILY was a book...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:44 am 

So there's this guy on flickr who takes classic albums and makes book covers for them and he recently did one for SILY. http://www.flickr.com/photos/cgstopgo/5 ... /lightbox/ he did them for a bunch of other albums to and there all pretty awesome.

Post subject: Re: If SILY was a book...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:23 pm 

When I saw the title of the thread, before seeing the opening post, one thought that sprung to mind was that if SILY was a book, it would be Italo Calvino's novel, "If on a winter's night a traveler". (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/If_on_a_wi ... a_traveler)

And reading the Wikipedia article a comment worried me with regard to an Avalanches follow up...
"Author David Mitchell described himself as being "magnetised" by the book from its start when he read it as an undergraduate, but on rereading it, felt it had aged and that he didn't find it "breathtakingly inventive" as he had the first time, yet does stress that "however breathtakingly inventive a book is, it is only breathtakingly inventive once" - with once being better than never."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:26 pm 

ps. I can't get on Flickr at work but hopefully will remember to actually look at the opening post when I get home!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:32 am 

"If on a winter's night a traveller" is wonderful.

However, I read "cloud atlas nine" by david mitchell and thought it completely shit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:45 am 

Oh I love Cloud Atlas. Didn't realise there were 8 sequels... :wink:

Not such a fan of Number9Dream. A competent Murakami pastiche, verging almost into the realms of 'fan-fiction'....

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:32 am 

alexanderbandwagon wrote:
Oh I love Cloud Atlas. Didn't realise there were 8 sequels... :wink:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:45 pm 

First off I love how this turned into a book discussion thread,
secondly, has anyone here read this wonderful little book called hope for the flowers by Trina Paulus, it's a really sweet short story. If you haven't read it try to find it because it's really good.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]