It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: The Found Sound Orchestra - Memorabilica
PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:47 pm 

Hi,
Hugely influenced by The Avalanches sound I set out to make something in their image - sample heavy, Oz summer sounds that leave a smile on your chops.

So, after trawling through my parents shitty record collection and some of the worst record stores in Perth I present 'Memorabilica' for free download from:-

http://www.team9.net

I would really appreciate you giving it a listen.

Please tag this as some harmless self promotion :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:12 am 

Thanks a lot team9! I've loved some of your earlier tracks as Found Sound Orchestra, and seriously played Little La La to death, together with DLYPTN and the others.. great stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:20 pm 

Thanks Drix - very kind of you and thanks for giving it a listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:31 pm 

sum real good stuff here,indeed,
cheers 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:45 pm 

Dude there is some really amazing stuff in there, as well as throughout your older selection tracks as well. A few of these have made their way on to my summer play lists for sure!

Any other secret forum members with awesome tunes to share? :)

What's your sampling process if you don't mind me asking? With the edit's scene that exploded over the last year or so these are definitely right up there, but I don't want to degrade these by calling them edits. Somewhere in between. Distinctly different from the tracks they're made up of yet not quite an Avalanches track. Do you use many samples per track? and do you use mainly software to record them all in and arrange/tweak them?

You've definitely given me a few concepts to try out in my own musical tinkering.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:54 am 

Hey Francis, great comments, thanks. Yep, I'm certainly not attempting to rip off Avalanches but Since I left You and some of Dexter's mix tapes did loom large throughout, as they have for years.

Sample wise I spend alot of time listening to lots of shit trying to find some shiny bits. Once I find something I save it into a sample library and chop it, loop it, repitch it etc. I use bits of Ableton, Acid, Reason and Soundforge to build the track, along with some plug in synths and FX.

That makes things sound kind of technical - it's really all about luck - finding a bunch of tracks that fit well and then sticking them together in a way that keeps things interesting. A bit like a thinking man's mash up ;)

Thanks again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:13 pm 

Wow this is really good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:19 am 
Site Admin

mr9 wrote:
Hey Francis, great comments, thanks. Yep, I'm certainly not attempting to rip off Avalanches but Since I left You and some of Dexter's mix tapes did loom large throughout, as they have for years.

sounds great mr9!

just to clarify though - it's actually robbie who's done most the mixtapes. tony also did a lot of the brains stuff with robbie, and darren of course did the relaxation tape mix.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 am 

Props to Robbie, Tony and Darren - my apologies. I still love Dexter as well though :) It's a big 'ol love in....

Post subject: Re: The Found Sound Orchestra - Memorabilica
PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:08 pm 

Ok, I'm over one whole year late, but Memorabilica was my top album of the last 12 months. Also, I thought it filled the Avalanches void really well without being too similar. If you're still around, Mr.9, I'd love to know more about the samples, particularly for Right About Midnight, which is haunting and sublime.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 10 posts ]