It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Avalanches in Pitchfork
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:04 pm 

The Top 200 Albums of the 2000s:

10. Avalanches - Since I Left You

Here's a curious album: It's constructed like a hip-hop record, it flows with the momentum of a great dance mix, but its component parts seem to come from strange places-- musical soundtracks, oddball comedy routines, and easy-listening thrift-store pop from the 60s and 70s. It skirts cheese but hits the pleasure center of the music-geek brain dead-on, blurring lines we never knew existed: sunny lite-soul congeals into the surrealist coda from a John Cale song, flashes of Camp Lo and De La Soul mutter hooks over some unseemly alternate-reality disco, and a gothic choir gets chopped up and modulated to provide the wordless vocals of a funk jam that, as it turns out, is sourced from an especially dirty Blowfly single. Non sequiturs spring up even as all the musical patches hide their seams; "Frontier Psychiatrist" alone has enough bewildering decontextualized soundbites to count as some kind of deranged dada exercise ("And tighten your buttocks/ Pour juice on your chin/ And I promised my girlfriend I'd get/ A violin"). But Since I Left You isn't just a well-built assemblage of sample-based plunderphonics, it's a masterpiece of mood-setting that riffs off an ideal where getting on an airplane and landing in another corner of the world was the most exotic thing a person could do. It's like a travelogue put through a Steinski filter, an escape to a world so new: "Get a drink, have a good time now, welcome to paradise." --Nate Patrin

See here

just saying :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:48 pm 

saw this the other day, made me smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:10 am 

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/pi ... _music_6_8 :o

New Topic Post Reply  [ 3 posts ]