All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: THE SAMPLE THREAD.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:23 am 

Author Comment
The Good Mr Brodie
(1/4/01 6:10:14 am)
Reply samples?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
does anyone know where i can get hold of a list of some of the samples used on the album...
i've only figured out three so far...and one of those is stupidly obvious.
can anyone help?
please.

eggy
(1/14/01 11:04:00 pm)
Reply samples?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i only know the obvious ones, also. "holiday" by MAdonna and "Rasputin" from Bony M. I also SWARE that i have heard "juice

on your chin!" somewhere but i can't figure out where. "Avalanches about, business continues below" is obviously from some

documentary or other. sounds like something i would have seen at school years ago =)

I also hear the DX7 synth getting a workout on "flight tonight".

eggy
(2/12/01 11:20:11 am)
Reply samples list..
okay so
a different feeling > 'holiday' from Madonna..
Live@Dominos > 'Rasputin' from Boney M
electricity > 'Rap Dirty' from Blowfly
Fronteir.. > 'Fronteir Psychiatrist' from Wayne&Shuster
Since I Left You > some song by The Main Attractions
Two hearts.. > some song by Marlena Shaw...

anyone got any more samples to add to the list? =)

eggy
(2/12/01 11:25:43 am)
Reply samples
JESUS, sorry it is
MA BAKER by boney M, not rasputin.

The Good Mr Brodie
(2/15/01 6:20:08 pm)
Reply samples
thanks eggy.

yu ma/go away liitle boy by marlena shaw is used in two hearts in 3/4 time
more than u know by prince paul & de la soul is used in flight tonight

fat ho
(2/20/01 5:28:19 am)
Reply Re: samples?
rock the box by sylvester is sampled, but i'm not sure where. i heard them play it on triple j, and they said it was an

obvious sample. but i only heard the first minute or so, cause i had to get out of the car. from what i heard, i think it

might be from electricity, but i gotta download the song or something so i can hear it properly.
i think its that bit from electricity, i dont know how to explain, its got like 4 notes, the first is long and starts at the

same time as the first "i-i-i-i-i" bit, then the other three are shorter and rising in scale and are beween the two

"i-i-i-i-i" bits in a line, if you know what i mean, well i dont know how to explain it, but i think it might be that bit.

check it out, there is a high probability i am wrong, cause i only heard a tiny bit. it sounded a bit like it to me. well in

the time i tried to explain this to you, i probably could have tried to find out for myself if it is right, but...oh well

fat ho
(2/22/01 11:39:31 pm)
hey i was just wondering about the since i left you sample, is it main attractions, cause i have never heard of them, and i

cant find anything about them anywhere. does anyone know what the song is, the name of the song, and also if in fact itg is

by the main attractions?

Banstyle
(2/24/01 4:58:37 pm)
Avalanche Rock - Raekwon of Wu Tang Clan
Tom

eggy
(2/24/01 7:46:19 pm)
Reply More sample news from eggy.
According to Bobbydazzler, the Main Attractions were 'a conceived, white, Jackson 5.' I'd say they're fairly obscure.
My dad seems to reckon he remembers the vocals from 'since i left you' from the early 80s. I think he's dreaming. I think the

vocal pitch has been risen significantly by the Avalanches, ie: the original wouldn't vocals wouldn't be in as high a key.

Also, the bongos on "stay another season" are from (avalanches fave) "What's Goin On" by Marvin Gaye.

-eggy!-

fat ho
(2/27/01 5:25:17 pm)
@#%$, i just remembered a really obvious sample, well i picked it the first time i heard it, on the original version,

actually the first time i heard the song i thought it sounded the same and i thought that they had just copied it or just

happened to have done it the same, only later i realised that they would have sampled it. well i think this is right, it

sounds the same to me: the drum bit in da funk by daft punk near the start when it goes quiet is the drum bit in electricity

when it goes quiet, well when the rap dirty bassline sample is stopped for a bit i think. i think it is about 2:50 in the

original, and at about 1:15 in the album version.

@#%$, how come i only remembered it now, electricity is like my fav song, and da funk is one of my fav elektronic songs too.

The Good Mr Brodie
(2/27/01 6:33:52 pm)
fat ho - i just listened to da funk and then electricity and then da funk, and i have come to the conclusion that you are a

truth speaker. it's either the same sample that was used in da funk[whatever that is] or a direct sample from the daft punk

track. coolness.
banstyle - do you know which raekwon track? i'm not too hot on the wu.

keep up the good work people.

Banstyle
(2/27/01 9:35:32 pm)
Reply Raekwon
Wouldn't have a clue, but I'll find out for you - my mate spotted it - he's a wu-maniac.
Tom

The Good Mr Brodie
(2/28/01 4:11:58 am)
Reply Re: Raekwon
danke.

kuya
(2/28/01 9:51:04 am)
Reply Raekwon Sample
It's from the 'Only Built for Cuban Linx" album, and I think the track is 'Glaciers of Ice'.

It's also the best of the solo WU albums...well, in my opinion anyway.

eggy
(2/28/01 2:34:47 pm)
Reply sylvester 'rock the box'
after listening to this track, it's obviously used in 'FlightTonight" (the original poster wasn't sure where it came from.)

this is great guys, keep sending in your finds!!
-eggy-

kuya
(2/28/01 8:08:57 pm)
Reply Flight Tonight Samples
The French rap comes courtesy of The Saian Supa Crew. I'm 90% sure that it's from Dexter's home video when he competed in

the DMC World finals in New York 1999. The Saian Supa Crew performed there, and he's got footage of them freestyling on video

on the streets of New York.

Anthony Kellam
(2/28/01 9:22:48 pm)
Reply Re: Flight Tonight Samples

In a previous post someone said holiday was used in a different feeling. I was more inclined to think it is actually in Stay

another Season.

Can anyone confirm this.

eggy
(2/28/01 9:40:34 pm)
Reply madonna sample
yeah,that was my dumb arse. I said 'a different feeling' when i meant 'stay another season.' sorry about that.

Kuya, thanks for the Saian info, that's the only sample that the liner notes actually mention!
-eggy-

Anthony Kellam
(2/28/01 10:35:10 pm)
Reply Re: madonna sample

Fat Ho,

I think the bit you refer to about electricity is the "syncopated buiding bassline", or that is how I would describe it, i am

pretty sure it is indeed sylvester.

It is the bit that plays when the song doesn't kick if you know what I mean. The "calm" bit.

As far as the Daft Punk bit. Really All that is unique about it is a doubled up half closed hat if you know what i mean. I

would hardly call it a sample. You can't copyright a drum pattern. Well maybe you can, but not an idea that brief and

uninvolved. I am even surprised that "holiday" was a problem. We are talking about six notes, 4 unique, of a pretty

unimaginative bassline.

Obviously, other parts of the album lifted whole passages from vinyl. And these need dues paid. But if musical ideas were not

borrowed, how would styles evolve?

I would really like to know how some of these legal discussions transpire behind closed doors.

hotslimes
Unregistered User
(2/28/01 10:52:03 pm)
Reply First against the wall come the Revolution...
if enough people think they can earn some money out of something, they'll find a way...

fat ho
(2/28/01 11:16:37 pm)
ok, well first, the sylvester rock the box, i really have no idea, cause i dont have the song yet and i only heard a part of

it and i was in a rush. i should go get the song or something, but when i tried to get it before, it kept @#%$ up. but yeah,

from what i remember it reminded me of that "syncopated buiding bassline" (i think i know what you mean by this, but i dont

know what syncopated means, oh and you certainly dont mean the rap dirty bassline right? ten four good buddy) in electicity.

i have no idea if it is actually a sample from flight tonight. which bit in flight tonight?

and secondly, with the da funk thing, yeah i thought at first that the avalanches had just happened to use the same drum

pattern, but then i thought about it and thought that they probably sampled it cause, well they sampled pretty much

everything else. well it seems like it anyway.

and thirdly, the madonna sample is used again in little journey too isnt it? yeah it is, at about 57sec for about half a

minute. its a cyclic thing, like a round trip or something if ya wanna apply to the travel theme.

also i am a wutang fan, but i dont actually have any of the solo albums. and i still really want to get this main attractions

track, if anyone finds this i am very interested. where was the info that it is the main attractions from?

Author Comment
eggy
(3/1/01 3:00:58 pm)
Reply rock tha box
The Sylvester sample is used in "flight tonight" - it is the synth line you hear right at the start (in both the original,

and the avalanches track)

Andrew, whether it be 8 bars, 4 bars, 2 bars or 2 notes of music that were used, it's STILL a sample. that's what we're

discussing here - which songs the groop have taken little bits from. And yes, it does sound like that drum beat was taken

from the daft punk track. I wouldn't doubt it, seeing as Bobbydazzler has cited them as an influence.

And, the Main Attractions info came from an interview with Robbie. like i said, sounds like they were pretty obscure -start

searching at yardsales or something

-eggy!-

fat ho
(3/4/01 12:57:33 am)
rock the box/flight tonight...oh my god, how stupid of me, it is very obvious. oh well...
what did they sample for that bit on electricity then? maybe they got it from the same song, i really dont know.

hotslimes
(3/5/01 3:19:53 am)
I think there are a few things from the mix on monday that might be of interest.... Radio for example is based around the

bassline from 'Fat City Strut' by Mandrill...

There's some more stuff in there too... erm, bits of Little Journey and Extra Kings are from the Enuch Light Theme from Sand

Pebbles track (gawd alone knows who he is.... )

Apologies if this has already been mentioned.... short-term memory loss connected with 'bone-idle can't be bothered to check

back through the thread sundrome', of course the Close to You sample 'tense young man, going round, turning the joint, upside

down' is of course the mighty Kid Creole and the Coconuts 'Stool Pigeon'....

Simon

fat ho
(3/6/01 12:31:24 am)
do you mean the theme from sand pebbles, by the artist enoch light? i can find the theme from sand pebbles by other artists,

and i can find enoch light(i cannot find enuch light, so i suppose you mean enoch), but i fail to find the theme from sand

pebbles by enoch light. doh. oh well...

hey, and that Fat City Strut song is funky.
actually, the TR in strut should be exchanged for an L. but, i dont live in the city.

hotslimes
(3/6/01 12:48:59 am)
Absolutely no fecking idea fat ho... I just copied it off the breezeblock website... hehehe

Simon

mbc
Unregistered User
(3/8/01 10:30:54 pm)
Reply sample
i've got a feeling that the last track on the album samples the beginning of a muppets version of 'walking on sunshine.'

it's that beach sound underneath the french lady, 'i would say, bon voyage.' i mean beach sounds can come from anywhere, but

this one sounds kind of crunchy and similar.

word.
mbc.

MBC
Unregistered User
(3/10/01 10:07:33 am)
Reply samples?
the main groove of 'Radio' contains the first few bars from 'Fat City Strutt' by Mandrill.
also, there's and E.L.O. song called 'Livin' Thing' that I'm pretty sure is on the album. I know for certain that it was on

the tape. it's the breakdown that goes, 'what a terrible (horns - duh dah duh dah dah dah) what a terrible thing it is."

someone would need to confirm this one though.

GirlThursday
(3/10/01 5:56:14 pm)
the girlish squeals and horn sounds at the beginning of '2 hearts in 3/4 time', plus "money" (joel grey) are taken from the

soundtrack of 'Cabaret'

fat ho
(3/11/01 1:03:21 am)
do you know which part of cabaret? you mean from the soundtrack album right? which track?

living thing by elo, what a mad song.

Edited by: fat ho at: 3/10/01 3:19:28 pm

Anthony Kellam
(3/13/01 3:59:08 am)
Reply Sample List

I am feeling bored so here goes....

"Since I Left You" contains-
============================

Elements from "Everyday" by the Main Attractions.
Samples from "Let's Do the Latin Hustle" by Klaus Wunderlich
Embodies Portions of "By the Time I Get to Phoenix"

"Stay Another Season" contains-
===============================

Elements from "Cinnamon and Clove" by Sergio Mendez
Samples from "Holiday" by Madonna

"Radio" contains-
=================

Elements from "Fat City Strut" by Mandrill

"Two Hearts in 3/4 Time" contains:-
===================================

Sample from "Yu-Ma" by Marlena Shaw

"Flight Tonight" contains-
==========================

Sample from "Wicked she Wicked" by Billy Boyo
Emodies Portions of "More Than U Know" by Prince Paul feat.
De La Soul

"Close To You" contains-
========================

Embodies Portions of "Tell Me When You Need it Again" by The
Isley Brothers
Elements from "Stool Pigeon" by Kid Creole and the Coconuts

"Diner's Only" contains-
========================

Sample from "Sparkle" by Camplo

"A Different Feeling" contains-
===============================

Sample from "Tammy" by Debbie Reynolds

"Electricity" contains-
=======================

Sample from "Rapp Dirty" by Blowfly

"Tonight" contains-
===================

Elements from "Tonight May Have to Last Me All My Life" (Which is a beautiful sentiment) by Nancy Wilson

"Frontier Psychiatrist" contains-
=================================

Elements from "Frontier Psychiatrist" by John Robert Dobson
Embodies a Portion of "My Way of Life" by Bert Kaempfert,
Carl Sigman and Hernert Rehbein

"Little Journey" contains-
==========================

Elements from "Midnight Voyage" by Mama Cass with The Mamas
& the Papas
Sample from "Holiday" by Madonna

"Live at Dominoes" contains-
============================

Sample from "Ma Baker" by Boney M
Sample from "Division 5" by 5th Dimension

"Extra Kings" contains-
=======================

Elements from "Let Me In" by The Osmonds

Phew, well there you go.

Hope that clears a few things up. Please note that where possible the mentioned artist is the performer not the writer. If

you want to know the writers and publishers get the second pressing. Its only $19!

But I much prefer the first version.

P.S. If anyone ever finds out the reason for the changes please let me know.

GirlThursday
(3/13/01 7:50:03 pm)
hi ho i'm afraid i wasn't talking about the soundtrack album... just the movie itself. my sister is studying it in english

this year, so i was watching it with her and my ears pricked up at the relevant bits. the 'Money' sample would definitely

come from the song of the same name if you were looking for it on the soundtrack album ('money makes the world go around the

world go around...')

fat ho
(3/14/01 12:11:11 am)
hey, thanks alot anthony, that boosted this sample thread alot.
what do they mean by "embodies portions" as opposed to containing elements?
oh and "By the Time I Get to Phoenix", who is this by? i did a search, a couple of people have done it. i think isaac hayes

was one of them.
you know what, i'm thinking i may get the cd. maybe. dunno

oh, girlthurs, yeah i wasnt sure if you meant the cd or the soundtrack as in the sound of the movie. i havent actually seen

that movie.
hahahahahaha i just got that money song, haha
"money...money" haha it is too
"money, money, money, money, money, money, money" haha

oh my god "cinnamon and clove" i love that sampled bit.

haha "tammy...tammy...tammy's in love" hey what is the line after that?

oh, and where's the laughing, the "heh, heh, heh, HA-HA" from? its used quite a few times, its a little bit into a different

feeling and a couple more times later, and it is right at the start of electricity.

Edited by: fat ho at: 3/13/01 3:40:26 pm

Ozzy Power
(3/15/01 5:44:27 pm)
Re: samples?
The Saian Supa Crew
'here we go, yo, ahh, yo, yo, a dj dexta, a saian supa crew, live from paris...' sample sounds identical to the guy speaking

on Dexta's World DMC set, I can't be bothered listening to the mp3s so I don't know if its his 98 or 99 one, so it must be

related in some way, someone wanna work out and tell me exactly whats goin on with that one?
its halfway through Flight Tonight if you wanna hear the sample, and if you want the dj set (*shameless promotion*) you can

download it at www.theavalanches.net !

Parker
theavalanches.net

eggy
(3/15/01 8:53:10 pm)
Reply check back...
earlier in the thread, Kuya explained that the sample was taken from a dexta home video.
But you are right it's probably the same guy.

fat ho
(3/24/01 1:24:46 am)
oh i forgot to say that when my friend did the graveyard shift on syn fm last tuesday night, he played some beastie boys

b-sides. had some remix which contained the sample "who's car is that" the same as avalanches. i wouldn't think that

avalanches sample that b-side, i think they both probably got it from the same place.
gotta borrow the vinyl off my friend, maybe it says where the sample is from.

fat ho
(3/25/01 2:00:28 am)
OH MY GOD!

in flight tonight, i never knew what that chick was saying

"she wicked, she wicked, she wicked...she wicked, she wicked, she wicked"

haha, thats cool (now if only i can get that song)

oh, and just a thought, "Frontier Psychiatrist" by John Robert Dobson, would this be the new samples they used on the second

pressing, as opposed to the wayne and shuster on the first? is this john robert dobson version a 'cover' of the wayne and

shuster one?

having trouble finding these:
"Everyday" by the Main Attractions.
"Let's Do the Latin Hustle" by Klaus Wunderlich
"By the Time I Get to Phoenix"<---is this a movie?
"Wicked she Wicked" by Billy Boyo
"Tonight May Have to Last Me All My Life" by Nancy Wilson
"Frontier Psychiatrist" by John Robert Dobson
"My Way of Life" by Bert Kaempfert, Carl Sigman and Hernert Rehbein
"Division 5" by 5th Dimension

marky boy
(3/27/01 12:31:17 pm)
i know the vinyl pressing has a listing of all the samples used on the album...im going to pick up my copy hopefully later

today or somtime this week

GirlThursday
Unregistered User
(3/27/01 12:55:40 pm)
Reply she wicked
lol
i always thought she was saying 'jamaica jamaica jamaica'

smartymarty54321
(3/27/01 1:50:22 pm)
Reply Re: she wicked
so did I!

..I'd better go listen to it again...

bob george
(3/29/01 8:42:06 am)
Reply another sample
Excuse me butting in, this is my first posting here, but I don't think that anyone's mentioned the fact that the end of A

Different Feeling contains a sizeable chunk of Climax by Paperclip People (aka Carl Craig).

I'm sure you're sick of hearing this, but I'm desperate to get hold of both the Breezeblock mixes - if anyone can help me out

I've got some nice old tapes to swap e.g. old Solid Steels, pirate radio stuff in various genres etc. tom@bust.com if anyone

can help.

Many thanks.

Author Comment
Banstyle
(3/29/01 11:26:43 pm)
Reply Re: another sample
Here's something for someone to check..

Frontier Psych.. The sample "I'm Goonna Kiiilll You.." Is from, I *think*, House on Huanted Hill (the black and white

original). I know it is from an old horror flick - It was played on Arena's 'Graveyard Shift' about 2/3 months ago, and both

my brother and I heard and recognised it. Just not too sure if it was HOHH though...

Tom

fat ho
(3/30/01 2:36:59 am)
"i'm gonna kill you" is sampled from wayne and shuster 'frontier psychiatrist' (where a lot of the song is sampled from).

the "i'm gonna kill you" bit is at 4:47.

fat ho
(4/17/01 2:54:19 am)
i just realised that rock city has a sample from frontier psychiatrist too.

oh, btw, with rock city, i have it on the good guys bad guys soundtrack. but i also have an mp3 which is a different version.

i have not actually heard the rock city ep or the actual el producto ep, so which versions are they, and which is this

different version (different from the good guys bad guys version) from?

Ozzy Power
(4/17/01 11:41:50 am)
Re: samples?
Download this...

sharehouse.nbci.com/dnloa..._ID=753104

Thats the one off El Producto
On the '97 Rock City 7", which was their first ever release, it has Rock City (Sebatron remix) but I've never heard that

single unfortunately so can't tell you if its the same as El producto or different, Clint might be able to help ya out there.

- parker

avalancheshomebase
(4/17/01 12:22:19 pm)
Reply Re: Rock City
The 7" version is a fair bit different, it has a looser, almost 'live' feel to it. It also doesn't contain that cool

distorted bass riff or some of the samples from the El Producto EP version.

When it was re-recorded they obviously went for a much more polished feel to it... I guess the mp3 you have would either be

the 7" version, the live one off the JJJ compilation or some other live recording?

avalancheshomebase
(4/17/01 12:24:56 pm)
Reply Re:
Oops, by the way, is there any chance I could get a cover scan of that 'Good Guys Bad Guys' soundtrack fat ho?

Cheers.

Clint

GirlThursday
(4/17/01 1:24:20 pm)
Reply rock city
one really easy way to tell is that the 7 inch version only goes for about 3:07 whereas the el producto version is a good 35

seconds longer @ 3:42. The triple j live verion goes for 3:32 and has cheering at the beginning. (and is, may i add,

incredibly tight)

fat ho
(4/18/01 1:02:06 am)
oh ok, well the one on good guys bad guys is 3:04 or something, so i guess maybe this is the same as the rock city single

version? and this other mp3 i got must be the el producto version. thats weird, when you guys think of rock city, you would

think of the el producto version then would you? cause i think the ggbg version when i think that song, cause thats what i

heard first, and heard more. the el producto version is more sorta happy/fun, with the flutey sample. while the ggbg version

is more rockish. and it sounds like they yelling more. maybe the vocals were softened on the el producto version.

clint, you are in luck, i just borrowed my cousins scanner. i can scan it for you, what size/quality/etc do you want?

oh, i think there is a picture of the cover on the good guys bad guys website, or somewhere, but i dont know if its still

there.

avalancheshomebase
(4/18/01 11:54:17 am)
Reply Re:GGBG
I actually had a look at the Good Guys, Bad Guys website and couldn't find the soundtrack cover (did find the tracklisting

though), so I just stole the logo and made my own temporary cover

whatever quality is cool, 125 x 125 would be good.

thanks for that

trent
Unregistered User
(4/19/01 10:16:38 pm)
Reply samples
the main sample with flute at the beginning of since i left you is from tommy mottola

fat ho
(4/20/01 12:45:22 am)
hey, i scanned the cover for ya, which i will send now, but while doing so i looked in the booklet of the cd, and it

actually says rock city (7"version). oh well, how stupid of me...

oh, and what's this tommy mattola song?

fat ho
(4/20/01 1:30:22 am)
ok, well i seem to be having technical difficulties, with my computer as a whole (lots of windows keep freezing for no

apparent reason), and with my email. i am not sure if there is a connexion (yes conneXion, hooray for the old school) between

the two, cause the email has a sign that says it is not working in a particular time frame, but it is out of the time frame,

but maybe it still hasnt been fixed. actually, now that i think about it, i think the time stated was for western standard

time, so maybe it is still within that time frame...well anyway...i'll try sending it later, sorry.

TR3NTdog
(4/21/01 10:32:08 pm)
i think rap fever has the parrot sample used in frontier psyhiatrist

monkeyburger
Unregistered User
(4/23/01 4:09:19 pm)
Reply samples
yeah, i ment Tony Mottola and the main parts of "since i left you" (flute and strings) for the first half of the song

(untill the really melon-collie strings come in) are from "by the time i get to phoenix"

also the "ooh" and "yeah" samples from two hearts are found on a Tony Mottola version of "do you know the way to san jose"

from the same album "warm wild and wonderfull"

i do heaps of sampling and allways come across used samples so ill post back some more later...

Rob Wave
(5/28/01 8:04:06 pm)
Reply Re: samples
On 'A Different feeling', fading in at 0:15, a loop from Im.mortal music's (a.k.a. Carl Craig) 'Slam Dance' features

throughout the song, creating the 'rhythmical backbone' if you will. What it sounds like? 4/4 kik, backbeat clap figure, deep

subbass line.

Edited by: Rob Wave at: 6/4/01 10:00:44 pm

simongazunda
(5/28/01 10:48:20 pm)
I think it was a Paperclip People 'The Climax'... that was Carl Craig wasn't it?

Simon

Rob Wave
(5/28/01 11:58:50 pm)
"I think it was a Paperclip People 'The Climax'... that was Carl Craig wasn't it?"

Yeah, that's what the post says but... hard to know *which* sample, if you know what I mean?

As much of a trainspotter as I am, I can't be bothered to look up *every* original recording! :-)

regards,
Rob

schooly dot
Unregistered User
(5/30/01 8:41:40 pm)
Reply :)
i know i might get my head bitten off for asking this but.......what is the difference between a song containing "a sample

of" and "elements of"? like in liner notes they say that. know what i mean?

also can anyone hear "inner city life" by goldie in electricity? right near the end.

sd.

eggy
Unregistered User
(5/31/01 12:06:00 pm)
Reply sampling
There is no real difference between the terms. I think though, that "..Contains Elements of" .. usually implies that a

significant portion has been sampled, rather than, say, a tiny melody, or a word or two.

Another one you hear is "..Is an apropriation of"
.. it's just reocrd companies trying to be a bit P.C.

-eggy!-

simongazunda
(5/31/01 5:52:35 pm)
Reply Re: sampling
Sounds like legalese to me....

Author Comment
malmoe city
Unregistered User
(6/3/01 7:39:29 am)
Reply re:samp
i´ve got a nice one
H2Overture by WAR is used on both summer crane and extra kings...it´s the mellow break..i love it..

simon...crate digger...sweden

simongazunda
(6/3/01 9:42:01 am)
Reply Re: re:samp
Man, there's a lot of Simon's on this board...

Simon

Viv
(6/4/01 11:56:23 pm)
Reply Re: re:samp
hold on simon (gazunda)

how could you write this post when you should have been on a plane to Melbourne? I trust you've arrived safely and on time?

v

eggy
(6/5/01 3:02:08 pm)
Reply And now! PJ's Proudly Presents...
heheh, i'm proud i found a sample all by meself. From Gimix, right before

eggy
(6/5/01 3:06:45 pm)
Reply woops!
@#%$, don't know what happened there. Just before HOLIDAY begins on Gimix, the sample "And now, pjs proudly presents..." is

taken from "Trini Lopez At PJ's", reprise records 1966

wouldn't be surprised if there's other snippets from this record that they've used.

i always find something new in the crate at grandmas :P

TISM
(5/8/02 9:02:09 pm)
Reply Re: woops!
Hey y'all... just bumping this important thread.
Anyone spotted any samples lately??

A friend of mine noted a Kraftwerk melody in "Rolling High" right before the chorus kicks in.

A very comprehensive sample info centre is gonna be featured at Captain Bullant's site soon. stop by and chek it out, he does

a good job

is Cut Copy playing in Adelaide with Dexta??
i can't wait...

-eggy!-

mrmangione
(5/9/02 5:19:38 pm)
Reply lush strings
Briarcliff Strings - windmills of your mind

snippet from `thank god its friday - O.S.T.

BunnyRabbit
(5/10/02 5:58:13 am)
Reply Re: Quiller
I don't know if this if news to anyone as I haven't seen the samples list on the new releases but.. The piano trills and

sqeally synth line that kick in at around 2:57 on Close To You are from the theme music to the BBC TV series Quiller. It was

by Denton and Cook. Here's a nice link

www.blaxploitation.com/

Just go to the soundtracks section and you'll find more info.

fat ho
(5/10/02 2:13:29 pm)
Reply Period.
i dunno if i said this before, but i think that "who's car is that" sample is from the movie "the car wash". the old one,

not the remake with dr dre and snoop and ish.

also, it is sampled on:
beastie boys - 33% god remix

maybe that is where they use it from...

also, i thought that kraftwerk sample was one of the obvious ones...eh...

Edited by: fat ho at: 5/10/02 2:14:26 pm

Frayker
(5/14/02 6:18:27 am)
just new to the ezboards so hear goes

hear is a track that has been sampled by your boys the avalanches:

let the sunshine in - by moog machine

cant remmember the name of the track it was sampled in but as soon as you hear it you will know . a real nugget for you

sampleheads (also sampled by the beastie boys).

try and find it on (audiogalaxy)...........

best wishes

Frayker - debut album coming out soon.!

mrmangione
(5/14/02 4:17:20 pm)
Reply and then i heard this...
boogie nights- heatwave
loves theme- love unlimited orch
anna- trio los panchos (rearranged to form the guitar ending of frontier psychotic)

version of summer of 42 not sure who, also there is much conjecture on the seagulls and ocean and foghorns before frontier

but i have a track by bebu silvetti that i will bet my parramatta eels jumper on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2003 6:33 am 

just for anyone who had trouble finding it.

maybe when i have time i could compile it down to a list...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:03 am 

nice one pat <thumbs-up-smiley>

Post subject: Extra Kings
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 1:36 am 

I hear a definite bass line from MINNIE RIPERTON's "Come Into My Garden" album, on EXTRA KINGS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 3:42 am 

Im still pretty sure that the By the Time I Get to Phoenix sample used in since i left you is main attraction - By the Time I Get to Phoenix..
in the av´s sleeve it says J Salo. he´s one of the members and i belive he writes the music ..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 9:59 am 

Who wants ice cream?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:35 pm 

This is a major old timey *bump* ... but if anyone is looking for Dimension 5 - The 5th Dimension. Its on the itunes store... just do a search for Bob Alclair.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]