It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ] 
 Post subject: St Jeromes Laneway Festival
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:24 pm 

Does anyone know if The Avalanches will be the standard DJ set or will it be a live band show at this weekends St Jeromes Laneway Festival?
The St Jeromes web site has them down as “The Avalanchesâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:02 pm 

DJ show for sure! if i'm wrong somebody spank me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:04 am 

Did any one go to the lane way fest? If so, how were the Avs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:43 am 

Was wondering the same thing . . . anyone go along and can provide an insight?

Also, some interesting material in this story that appeared in the Fairfax press recently:

"In 2001 the Avalanches were set to become Australia's biggest musical export. They were in high demand in Europe after the release of debut album Since I Left You, had permission to sample Madonna and their DJ, Dexter, came second in the 2000 World DMC DJ Championships.

Five years on and not much has been heard from the Melbourne electronica, dance and hip-hop fusionists. With Dexter leaving and no sign of a second album, one could assume the group had disbanded. Not so, says the group's drummer and singer, Darren Seltmann.

"It's been half a decade almost and I'm reminded of it everyday," he says. "We are notoriously, fastidiously slow workers. That just compounds itself with the added pressure of the second release.

"It's sort of hard for us to do interviews, we don't want to jinx it, or talk about [the album] it too much before it's happened."

Overexposed after touring Since I Left You across Europe, the Avalanches have been in hibernation, stripping the line-up back to three core members. Many felt the group squandered a rare opportunity with the forced break.

"People were like, 'Why didn't you rush out a second album or keep on touring?'" Seltmann says.

The Avalanches haven't been complete hermits. They were joined by a carnival of drummers and dancers for last year's Meredith Festival. They'll do a DJ show at the Laneway Festival on Sunday.

Considering how they put their bodies on the line it's surprising they perform at all. Seltmann has broken his leg twice during high-altitude stage antics.

"With the amount of broken bones and head splits I don't know if we can go back to the live show for health reasons," he says.

"I have this terrible flashback from Meredith where I got up on these speakers and was rocking them as hard as I could, towering about people.

At one point I realised what I was doing and looked behind me. There were all these huge, fat crew guys holding the speakers. I thought, 'What am I doing?' It's like a death wish. We're not people who can contain ourselves very well."

No more hectic international touring schedules, then?

"It's been just long enough, half a decade later, I kind of miss it. Every memory about the pain or whatever has finally left my system. I can't wait till we're back out."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:37 pm 

photos of the avalanches and a host of other quality acts from the sydney and melbourne laneway festivals here:

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/gallery/s ... ey_050306/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:45 pm 

guess it took a while for trucker hat fashion to make it to australia :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:04 am 

Nice quote from the review....

Quote:
I lined up for a dick aching eternity to take a piss only to find, yet again, toilets had pro-actively become unisex to compensate the lady cans being inundated. I'm pretty sure just as many dudes were lining up to use the cubicles due to intake of contrabands or endowment issues. What's with that? When I got back somehow I was wasted enough to pay $6 a throw for Carlton Draught. Kill me now. A thought or two…

Sounds like Jarrod.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 am 

*cough*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:27 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:58 am 

Riko wrote:
guess it took a while for trucker hat fashion to make it to australia :)

That's what I was thinking, but really, they pull it off 10x better then people did here. They wear other clothing that match the style, instead of just other random stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:08 am 

nick qualm wrote:

To me, to you, to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:09 am 

jarrod wrote:
*cough*

In a good way. Got any holidays planned?

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:05 am 

i know - just had a cough that day. 8)

going to fuji rock in july, and will be in jp for bout a month. you should come - it's not that far from blighty.

Post subject: 2009!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:36 pm 

Personally I am primed for Stereolab and El Guincho! Particularly the latter who I will be seeing for the first time. Laneway is still a great, small festival with a refreshing line up. Plus, The Avalanches sort of helped start it - so I'm not off topic! Although, clearly, they are not playing this year.

Some tenuous friends-of-friends-of-friends of mine have found themselves on the Adelaide line up, too:

http://www.lanewayfestival.com.au/main# ... aterslides

Much love and holiday cheer,
Penny

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:25 am 

New Topic Post Reply  [ 15 posts ]