It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Just face it the avalanches have self imploded
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:51 pm 

Lets face it - The Avalanches are finished. They produced one great ep and one great album, then fizzled. The only remaining signs of life are in forums like these, which are increasingly filled with discussion about everything but the avalanches. I don't know why the second album hasn't been made, but I do know that if it hasn't been made by now then ITS NOT GOING TO BE MADE EVER. Hey, prove me wrong, avalanches, but I'm not holding my breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:41 pm 

I don't know and I've stopped holding my breath a long time ago, but look at Portishead.. they finally came up with another album, so it's still possible Avalanches may do the same.

The main reason I still stick around this board is the people that still do the same. Avalanches may not be the main topic anymore, but good music still is. ;)

Post subject: Re: Just face it the avalanches have self imploded
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:53 am 

gia wrote:
I don't know why the second album hasn't been made, but I do know that if it hasn't been made by now then ITS NOT GOING TO BE MADE EVER.

you KNOW this? how?

it's a frustrating wait, and made worse by lack of updates, but it'll turn up, i'm sure.

if the avalanches didn't exist anymore, i think we'd have heard something else by the original members by now - there's no reason they wouldn't be making music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:13 am 

i forget - how long did sily take to make? i imagine it was insanely long. have we waited at least the same amount of time?

given the portishead example and possibly mbv too, i'll always be waiting eagerly, not that it takes much effort on my part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:26 am 

Theavalanchesdotcom said:

Quote:
Theavalanchesdotcom
Site Admin

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:34 am Post subject:
not sure exactly when, but there'll be some site updates fairly soon.

That was posted in March, but there hasn't been any updates happen yet.
What's going on at the avalanches camp?

Post subject: Re: Just face it the avalanches have self imploded
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:52 am 

gia wrote:
Lets face it - The Avalanches are finished. They produced one great ep and one great album, then fizzled. The only remaining signs of life are in forums like these, which are increasingly filled with discussion about everything but the avalanches. I don't know why the second album hasn't been made, but I do know that if it hasn't been made by now then ITS NOT GOING TO BE MADE EVER. Hey, prove me wrong, avalanches, but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree completely. They made some great stuff in the past, but no band should leave their fans scratching their heads for so long. It's ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:23 pm 

Even if the avs where finished I would still check by this forum everyday. I have found so much good music via here even if I haven't contributed that much.

As for the new album, I can still wait a little longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:39 pm 

here here, aiken. That's true for many of us.

What are these naysayers trying to prove? I think we welcome critique and opinion on this forum, but do we need baseless negativity? We're blessed in that bitchiness, trolling and the like are seldom seen here.

Call it blind faith, but even if The Avalanches had 'imploded' (which they haven't), then I'd be eagerly awaiting their next creative venture(s), if any. "Smile" is out on CD. The Pixies reformed. MBV played live after 17 years or something!!! Much stranger things have happened than the current Avalanches wait.

love,
Penny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 am 

Penny Lopez wrote:
I think we welcome critique and opinion on this forum, but do we need baseless negativity?

Baseless? This speculation is based on not having any information on the bands existence for quite a long time. Do you know what the real status of said second album is? Why haven't we seen any new material since circa 2006? Why have we been hearing the second album is nearing completion for the past two years? Some are frustrated by this anticipation of new material that claims to be coming soon and then is dragged out and still not released.

I love the music; The Avalanches have been the Cornerstone ;) to many of my summers and I am looking forward to anything they may produce in the future. However, I call for keeping the fans in the loop instead of creating more speculation like this. Is it so hard to produce official, consistent, accurate updates, no matter what they may be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:01 pm 

I would venture to say that the second album does exist and is probably finished.

I imagine that the wait is most likely caused by the time required to clear the samples. Clearing samples for an unknown group putting together an avant-garde album would have been a lot easier than clearing samples for the internationally renowned "Avalanches" putting out their long-anticipated second release. Basically, those owning the rights to the samples used would be more likely to dirve a hard bargain the second time round.

I don't think you can blame the AVS - it would all be in the hands of the record companies and their lawyers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:30 pm 

Modular posted this in 2006. Which was said to be a joke.
[quote]The Avalanches’ second album, the follow-up to the band’s 2001 debut ‘Since I Left You’, has had its release date put back, apparently because it wasn’t up to scratch. The group’s label Modular announced in a recent mail-out: “We finally took receipt of the long-awaited follow up to the smashing ‘Since I Left You’ the other week. We listened to it over and over, but to be honest, the whole thing sounded kinda rushed. Rather than push out a half-arsed, less than thought out sophomore album, we’ve sent them back to the studio to spend a little more time on it. Fingers crossed they get it right this time.â€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:24 am 

It sucks no matter which way you look at it....we had an audio sampler 4 YEARS ago....we had a temporary site pop up 2 YEARS ago...frankly i would be cool with an update saying tony had a nice birthday or robbie likes fish n chips....it wouldnt take much to make me happy. I have always wondered if sales of SILY were enough for the fellas to live off of all these years - surely they gotta eat, no?!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:10 pm 

I'm guessing that they have a big stake in the modular label, as they were there from the beginning. With all the other modular artists killing it worldwide, why would they need to?

My 2c thinks that they don't need to do another album.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:29 pm 

What do i think? i reckon theyre posing for annie leibovitz, knee deep in their pyjamas in the california surf. my point? im referring to the famous snaps of brian wilson in the pacific, in the malibu surf, fully clothed in his pjs, his mental state there for all to see. he couldnt cope with his own genius. i think the avalanches have made such perfect music that creating the next album has left them nowhere to go. SILY is nearly 10 years old but if released tomorrow would still sound 10 years ahead. fear of failure is keeping them from signing off. there, thats my dr phil take on it. gotta admit though im getting tired of waiting too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 pm 

Reasons for no second album: Fear of not living up to reputation - that's gotta be a big one. Cashing in on other people's work hence not having a financial incentive to do own music: yep, that too. Partied too hard following first success and having hte mother of all comedowns: i think that's in there too, and that this is the reason for no album AND the for the band failing to show their fans any sign of life.. Hey, I want to know whether robbie likes fishnchips too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:21 am 

It'll arrive or it won't. The world will keep spinning either way.

In the meantime, I'm off to listen to the Voluntary Butler Scheme...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:24 am 

Geez Simon - you're up late (or early!)

Olympic fever got you has it? (Must be all of British success :wink: ) Ta for the link - always looking for something new.

As for the Avs - if it takes an athlete four years to prepare for an Olympics, then a solid 8 years is fair enough for a second album! Keep the faith I say.

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:11 am 

funkmaster has called it correctly,imo. the clearing of samples will take
an age to organise. it's frustrating especially as 08.08.08 came and went...
KEEP THE FAITH :)
Anyway, Clint, how about making Big Tent or Brains available??!!?? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:02 am 

daddyg wrote:
funkmaster has called it correctly,imo. the clearing of samples will take
an age to organise. it's frustrating especially as 08.08.08 came and went...
KEEP THE FAITH :)
Anyway, Clint, how about making Big Tent or Brains available??!!?? :wink:

I wonder if there may have been some legal interest in sharing the mixes, as well as samples in an album... Clint'll just have to PM the mixes to us instead. Because he's the best website manager evah. And attractive to the ladies, I'm told...

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:19 pm 

This morning, JJJ played "Since I Left You". The announcer then questioned whether there would ever be another album.

During the next break, Richard Kingsmill (the station's music director) made a point of calling the announcer and letting her know "yes."

For those who don't know JJJ or Kingsmill: He'd one of the most influential, powerful, well-connected and respected figures in the Australian industry - especially the 'independent' and 'alternative' sides. if Modular were to trust sensitive info to anyone, he'd be prime candidate.

Anyway, The King said "yes, it's coming early 2009." Make of it what you will.

-PENNY-

New Topic Post Reply  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next