It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Portishead
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:13 pm 

I know I sound like a stuck record, but please indulge me. Third is incredible. And I'm going to see them on Thursday. And this is what they're going to sound like.

http://current.com/items/88899146_porti ... ead?xid=55

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:37 am 

portishead r on later live on beeb 2 tues 15th apr 10.00pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:29 pm 

i think it's cool, simon, that you waited all this time for a new portishead record and that now that the record has finally arrived, you like it and are still excited about them. so many times a long wait can be disappointing in the end.

i liked portishead back in their day and will always hold them in high regard, but never held much hope that they'd deliver another winner. but i must say i like the new record more than i thought i would. they're playing coachella in two weeks and i would've been excited to see them even if the new album sucked, but i'm glad that's not the case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:07 am 

Riko wrote:
i think it's cool, simon, that you waited all this time for a new portishead record and that now that the record has finally arrived, you like it and are still excited about them. so many times a long wait can be disappointing in the end.

i liked portishead back in their day and will always hold them in high regard, but never held much hope that they'd deliver another winner. but i must say i like the new record more than i thought i would. they're playing coachella in two weeks and i would've been excited to see them even if the new album sucked, but i'm glad that's not the case.

Heh... yes, it's a lesson to these JCL Avalanches fans, who don't know what it's like to wait a proper, 2 digit, number of years for a new release...

They are as tight as a gnat's chuff as a live band, by the way... I've always liked Clive Deemer as a drummer, and the others just seem totally on the ball too. Beth's voice is brilliant live; even in a cavern like Brixton it sounded very personal.

The new album takes a few listens; it's caustic and jarring and uncomfortable until you get to understand it a bit better... then it's angry and warm and positive and lovely.

Favourite album for a while, probably since the Apples in Stereo to be honest...

Simon

New Topic Post Reply  [ 4 posts ]