It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: AValanches at tribal gathering uk
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2002 9:36 pm 

i almost want to go just to see them but its very expensive...i'm very excited at the prospect of hearing a new avalanches set and wondering what kerazy new stuff they'll do...any tips?

Post subject: Tribal
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:36 pm 

As far as im aware mate this event will only feature DJ Dexta & hes now playin along side Grandmaster Flash doin a old school hip hop session as a part of the weekender.
So i wouldnt expect your usual Avalanches type set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 3:29 am 

Poor dexta, Grand Master Flash has to be one of the worst DJs I've ever seen. I caught him in DC a few months back on his Essential Tour. Basically it was rap hits of the 90s. House of Pain, Snoop Dogg, Cyress Hill. What's worse, he didnt even mix. He would just cut the track, say "DC are you with me", and start the next track.

2 days later I hear him on NPR talking about how he's a founder of house and dance music, and how he's been involved in the scene since day one. Which is bullshit! He didn't start spinning till recently when his gig on the Chris Rock show got axed.

But yeah, one of those shows I'm still pissed I had to pay for. Additionally, I expected to hear some remixes of "The Message", which he played none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:16 pm 

Hopefully this will be old school hip hop from the mid to late 80s, but im not to concerened anyway coz im mainly goin to see the likes of Cassius, Banglatar & Derrick Carter that are also on.
Something i dont understand was why the hell was Flash booked to play the closing ceremony of the commonwealth games here in Manchester last month, what the hell has he got to do with either Manchester or the commonwealth. Surely hes got some agent touting him about as a "parteeey DJ" for all occasions, cashin in on past glories i reckon????
Surely the money would of been better spent on some local talent like Rae & Christian or Mr Scruff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:24 pm 

Quote:
2 days later I hear him on NPR talking about how he's a founder of house and dance music, and how he's been involved in the scene since day one. Which is bullshit! He didn't start spinning till recently when his gig on the Chris Rock show got axed.

so what the fuck was 'the adventures of grandmaster flash on the wheels of steel' 20 years ago then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 8:41 pm 

i've got to chime in with emma and stick up for the grand master! to suggest he's some sort of opportunist bandwagon jumper is totally ludicrous... he has been in the scene (hip hop that is... what's this about house and dance?) from scratch (scuse the pun) and is a pioneer and a legend. everything that turntablists do now is built on the foundation that he created... he certainly doesn't have the same skills as scratch djs do now, but they wouldn't have them if it weren't for him! (ok, i might be overstating his role in turntablism here, i don't really know exactly how inventive he was. but i'm pretty sure he is an Important man).
also, i've heard one of his recent sets, and while it wasn't mindblowing it was good nostalgic block rockin' fun!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 9:34 pm 

thanks minna :wink: you typed the words i didn't have time for (& much more eloquently)!!

by no means is flash technically one of the best dj's i've seen or heard but you have to give him credit for being one of the pioneers of mixing and djing
... he could be accused of being a bit of an opppurtunist recently with new tours, cds etc but considering a hell of a lot of people have probably made a lot of cash over the last 20 years out of what he helped create he kinda deserves to get something back

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 5:32 pm 

He is not on a 'wheels of steel' tour. He is touring as a house DJ. A house DJ who cant mix worth shit! I'm not trying to discredit his hip hop roots. If he actually played tables when I saw him, I wouldn't be so negative. But he was trying to be a house DJ, and he did it poorly. Infact it could have been done better with a winAmp playlist.

He turned out the worst set I have heard all year. And I have had my ear of shitty basment peeps. He took the cake. He was nothing more than a disc jockey. I think he even chimed in with the traffic during "hip hop hooray".

Seriously, the message is one thing. 20 years later charging 30 bucks for rap hits of the 90s track at once. Bullshit.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 8 posts ]