It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: I am looking forward to...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:01 am 

...aside from new Avalanches material, of course, I'm really, really looking forward to the new Daft Punk Alive DVD.

They were frankly amazing at Wireless, despite it being a grim environment, outdoors, and practically daylight, so am looking forward to hearing it live, and watching in the comfort of my own bed.

So, what you looking forward to, Willis?

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:59 am 

In keeping with Cozmo's earlier post to get some more opinions/info and because Simon's was a little more open ended, here's what I'm looking forward to in the near future:

1) Series two of Life On Mars - I'm on a major retro jag at the moment. It's been one of my favourite TV discoveries on Oz TV (even though it's old hat in the UK). Hurry up ABC!
2) Finishing the final Harry Potter (Hey, I'm a completist)
3) Digging "Dystopia" by the Midnight Juggernauts - my current favourite band on this day!
4) Tracking down the new Go! Team album (birthday shopping in a few weeks hopefully)
5) Seeing the following acts live (I hope): Daft Punk, The Hold Steady, Arcade Fire, Chemical Brothers, Midnight Juggernauts; and squeezing one more BDO or V Festival or Laneway Festival out of the old body. And having thrilled to The Saints reforming for Pig City, I'd certainly front up to see them again if the one-off reunion extends to a tour.
6) Reading the following graphic novels/collections: The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen - The Black Dossier and Charley's War - V4 when they come out in October.
7) Enjoing more new material from the Avalanches . . . :wink:

Look forward to reading more in this post (as it seems that of late I into print on this forum and promptly kill the threads stone dead. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:12 pm 

I have to say I am eagerly anticipating the new Caribou record. The songs floating around the net are amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:13 pm 

i'm looking forward to seeing stevie wonder thursday night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:40 pm 

I am looking forward to playing through Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney 3 on DS, and Guitar hero 3 (when it comes out) on my wii (I have never owned a console the other guitar heros have come out on).

Also looking forward to the new Mr Scruff album which he promises will be out this year.

And more immediately hope to be blown away by the midnight juggernaughts this friday at the metro. (I couldn't tell you what one of their songs are, but lots of people seem to like them, so I am going out of my way to hear them for the first time on friday).

Last edited by aiken drum on Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:37 am 

Quote:

:shock:

Jeepers, that is something to look forward to!

Funny thing is that our three-year-old is currently got "Happy Feet" on high rotation on the DVD player and I've found myself plugging in a number of Stevie Wonder songs into the car playlist - "I Wish" in particular, but also "Living For The City", "Superstition", "Master Blaster", "Higher Ground" etc.

Hope we can entice a small review out of you Riko - I'd be fascinated to hear what sort of set he puts together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:13 pm 

mcsteveg wrote:
Quote:

:shock:

Jeepers, that is something to look forward to!

I'd just ignored that. The cunt.

;)

Simon

Post subject: MIDNIGHT JUGGERNAUTS.....
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:45 pm 

.... are ok. They are the latest in a long line of indier-than-thou new-rave aussie/dance/rock groups... Unusually, they are not on Modular like most of them.. I haven't seen them live for a year, but last time i was underwhelmed. Perhaps there show is much better now? could be.

You should really look out for a group from Sydney called Bagraiders, though. I think they show more promise and have better songs than cut copy, juggers, van she, presets, and the rest put together!!

Love,
Pen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:43 am 

mcsteveg wrote:

Hope we can entice a small review out of you Riko - I'd be fascinated to hear what sort of set he puts together.

OK, here's my little review. :)

It was at Humphrey's By The Bay, a 1,400-seat amphitheater that, as the name suggests, is right on the water. It's such a small and intimate venue, the smallest venue on his tour. There truly isn't a bad seat in the house. Here's a picture (not of Stevie Wonder) from the Humphrey's Web site. What you see is the entire seating area. Maybe one or two rows are cut off from the back, but that's it.

The concert, the first show on Wonder's first U.S. tour in 12 years, sold out in five minutes. There were hundreds of people in boats, rafts, kayaks and other sea vessels taking in the show as well, the largest-ever number of people doing that, according to the paper.

The show began with Stevie being led out to his two-keyboard setup at the center of the stage by his daughter, Aisha Morris. The crowd was already boisterous, as might be expected, but quickly had to hush because Wonder started talking very quietly about how his mother's death last year inspired him to go back on the road to celebrate her love with his fans, who he said he considers family.

Then he started into "Love's in Need of Love Today," the opening track on my favorite Wonder album, Songs in the Key of Life.

When you go see someone with the kind of catalogue Stevie Wonder has, hanging your hopes on him playing any particular song is risky, so I tried not to do that beforehand. But if I'd been asked to name a non-hit I was hoping for, "Love's in Need of Love Today" would've been right up there. It was a great way to start the show, and touching for me personally because my mother (who's alive and well) and I used to sing along to that song when I was little.

After doing the intro to the song alone, Wonder's band came on stage and joined along. There was a drummer, two percussionists, two keyboard players, two guitar players, a bass player and three backing vocalists. No horn players, so the horns in songs like "Sir Duke" were played on synths, but the relatively smaller band made for a tighter unit.

They played for more than two hours, mixing the big hits with some choice album tracks, as well as a cover of Chick Corea's "Spain." Other songs included "You Are The Sunshine of My Life," "Superstition," "I Wish," "Visions," "Another Star," "Living For the City," "Higher Ground," "Isn't She Lovely," "Part Time Lover," "Don't You Worry About A Thing," "Masterblaster (Jammin')", "My Cherie Amour" and more.

The mix was bass-heavy at times, but overall Wonder and the band sounded great. I got chills the first time he started to sing, and again the first time he played the harmonica. It really was a treat to see him live.

The only lull came when he tried to orchestrate an audience sing-along with men singing one bit and women singing another. It was pretty much a trainwreck and the show kind of came to a halt. Then he kicked into "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)" and things were off and running again.

So that's my little review. I'm really glad I got to go. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:52 am 

Wow. I think Simon said it most emphatically but you are a lucky chook indeed.

Thanks mate - one to savour and keep in the memory banks by the sound of it! :D

Excellent review as well (and ensures that my Countdown Spectacular 2 review will remain unwritten as I suspected it should!).
:wink:

Hope it inspires you as well . . . any mixes to look for BTW?
Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:03 pm 

I would have to say Im looking forward to Daft Punk comin down here in december. There will be much splooge sprayed in every direction, so a warning to those standing near.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:14 pm 

[ ]

Last edited by TIME_IS_IN_LOVE on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: looking forward to ...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:49 pm 

Here Here on the daft punk front. I guess the rumour that Av's might support was just that.

http://nevereverland.com.au/daft_punk/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:52 pm 

and the daft punk live album looks great too. from the nme.com site:

Daft Punk have revealed the tracklisting for their live album 'Alive 2007'.

The album will be available as a single CD and a two disc case bound book.

The book edition will feature the show's encore, the video for 'Harder Better Faster Stronger' (live) and around 50 pages of pictures taken during the shows.

The live version of 'Harder Better Faster Stronger' will be released as a single , and have a video directed by Oliver Gondry that will feature footage shot by fans at the tour closer in Brooklyn on August 9.

Thomas Bangalter from the band said of the concept of the video: "It's a montage of people shooting the song in the audience with 250 camera.

"We were inspired by the Beastie Boys 'Awesome, I Fuckin Shot That'" and tried to do that in a four minute video."

The tracklisting for the album is:

Disc 1:
'Robot Rock'
'Oh Yeah'
'Touch It'
'Technologic'
'Television Rules The Nation'
'Crescendolls'
'Too Long'
'Steam Machine'
'Around The World'
'Harder Better Faster Stronger'
'Burnin''
'Too Long'
'Face To Face'
'Short Circuit'
'One More Time'
'Aerodynamic'
'Aerodynamic Beats'
'Forget About The World'
'Prime Time Of Your Life'
'Brainwasher'
'Rollin' And Scratchin'
'Alive'
'Da Funk'
'Daftendirekt'
'Superheroes'
'Human After All'
'Rock N Roll'

Disc 2:
'Human After All'
'Together'
'One More Time (Reprise)'
'Music Sounds Better With You'

Post subject: Re: looking forward to ...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:27 pm 
Site Admin

Penny Lopez wrote:
Here Here on the daft punk front. I guess the rumour that Av's might support was just that.

yeah there probably won't be any new shows announced until the record comes out.

Post subject: Re: looking forward to ...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:47 am 

[ ]

Last edited by TIME_IS_IN_LOVE on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:22 am 

only_sleeping wrote:
Daft Punk have revealed the tracklisting for their live album 'Alive 2007'.

The album will be available as a single CD and a two disc case bound book.

Nnnnnnnnggggggggg.... Need. DVD.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:24 am 

Brixton Academy on Tuesday. Go me.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:41 am 

Also, Architecture in Helsinki and Caribou (I think) at Koko next Monday, and King Creosote Rough Trade East instore show next Tuesday, which should be good judging from his new single (www.kingcreosote.com).

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:45 am 

Big week Simon!

Thx for the tip on King Creosote - didn't know there was a new single out. Will stick the website on in background at work today.

If I can make the usual request for a few reviews as well - interested to see what you make of Architecture in Helsinki for instancel.

I haven't got the new album yet but heard an interesting mash-up on Triple J on the weekend that featured Heart It Races and Jay-Z's 99 Problems. I'll see if I can track something down and upload it.

Cheers!

Last edited by mcsteveg on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next