It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Daft Punk live
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:57 pm 

Wasn't entirely sure what to expect. The O2 Wireless festival is an entirely hateful affair, and I was determined not to set foot there ever again, but then I found out that Daft Punk were playing (and LCD Soundsystem, NYPC and a few others), and it was a no-brainer to go, really.

Had a fun day; caught the tail end of NYPC, who were OK, then chilled out to some Husky Rescue, who were interesting, and had a fabulously cute singer. LCD Soundsystem were brilliant until they basically gave up due to (apparent) technical problems during Yeah. Big disappointment, as there are few things better than Yeah live.

Legged it over to catch the last few minutes of Klaxons, which was amusing in a kind've novelty way (I mean... It's Not Over is funny, but that's it).

Then Daft Punk came on.

They were in a big pyramid, split about 2/3 of the way up for their little booth, with the top of the pyramid above them. The two sides of the pyramid you could see were used as a display for faintly trippy, overtly triangular graphics, with a kind've large mesh of strip lights backing the whole thing up, also mapping out triangles. It was impossible to tell, under the helmets, if it was actually Guy and Thomas, nor whether they did anything other than press play on the CD. I don't care.
Not my picture, but this is what it looked like...
I have no idea what the track order was; they basically played everything, mixing tracks up left right and centre, bits of Homework with bits of Human After All with bits of Disco-very and some of their solo/Together stuff (encore was Together and, I think, Music Sounds Better With You - sadly had to do a runner halfway through the encore).

Around the World , Harder Faster Stronger, and One More Time were obvious standouts, but Da Funk blew the sky off. Even the newer stuff, from the more or less execrable Human After All seemed to work really well live (to the point that I might actually have to listen to it again at some point).

I can't remember enjoying a live music event much more; I guess Jaxx/Avalanches in Melbourne was better from a personal point of view (company and circumstances were special to me), but musically, this was a stunning experience. Chems were good, I've seen Jaxx a few times and they're always fun, Underworld were eye-melting at Brixton, etc., but this was simply in a different class.

If you can, go see them. Do whatever it takes. It's worth it.

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:53 am 

jealous.

fingers crossed that their current set eventually comes out as a live album a-al alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:50 am 

[ ]

Last edited by TIME_IS_IN_LOVE on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:14 am 

glad you had fun, simon. sounds similar to their set at coachella last year, and that was amazing. (there is a killer bootleg, in both audio and video versions, around for that.)

i got tix to see them in l.a. next month. can't wait.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:48 am 

Judging from the pics I've seen, the physical set is the same. I guess you'd need to go to a couple of shows or track down the bootlegs to know if it sounds the same too.

Riko - you're a lucky cunt :)

The rest of you, less so, natch... ;)

I mean, I know I'm in danger of going on about it, labouring the point or whatever, but... seriously kids.... it was phenomenal. Just watched a TV clip of One More Chance/Aerodynamic. Goose pimples. Standing up hairs, etc. Stellar.

[EDIT]Tracklist, apparently:
'Robot Rock'
'Oh Yeah'
'Touch It'
'Voyager'
'Technologic'
'Television Rules The Nation'
'Crescendolls'
'Steam Machine'
'Around The World'
'Harder Better Faster Stronger'
'Burnin'
'Too Long'
'Face To Face'
'Short Circuit'
'One More Time'
'Aerodynamic'
'Forget About The World'
'Brainwasher'
'Phoenix'
'Prime Time Of Your Life'
'Rollin and Scratchin'
'Alive'
'Da Funk'
'Daftendirekt'
'Superheroes'
'Rock N' Roll'
'Human After All'
'Revolution 909'
'Together'
'Music Sounds Better With You'
'Aerodynamic'

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:31 am 

Cheers Simon - we live in hope for a visit down under this year (daftpunkgazunda perhaps?) :wink:

Out of interest, what's your take on the UK festival scene as it stands at the moment? I'm always a bit envious when I see things like Bestival and Latitude, let alone a behemouth like Glastonbury. But I gather that some are way better experiences than others, based on the "hateful" reference?

Bit of self interest as well in my questions - younger brother has just extended his work in London for another 18 months so am doing the odd spot of day-dreaming as to whether there's a small window to head over next summer. :roll:

Thanks again for the review - and Riko, ta for the bootleg tip. I'll do some searching along those lines!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:10 pm 

the coachella daft punk show was recorded by a fella who goes by "bold captain" and his recording is amazing. many have argued it's a soundboard recording, but it's not. the audio can be found at themixingbowl.com. it was my favorite "record" of 2006.

someone on the coachella message board collected different people's video footage and synched it to a normalized and equalized version of the boldcaptain audio. the dvd is available at purelivegigs.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:26 pm 

Can I modify this bit from Riko:

Quote:
the coachella daft punk show was recorded by a fella who goes by "bold captain" and his recording is amazing. many have argued it's a soundboard recording, but it's not. the audio can be found at themixingbowl.com. it was my favorite "record" of 2006.

The url I think should be http://themixingbowl.org/

The other one gets you a cooking site!

Was odd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:30 pm 

mcsteveg wrote:
Out of interest, what's your take on the UK festival scene as it stands at the moment? I'm always a bit envious when I see things like Bestival and Latitude, let alone a behemouth like Glastonbury. But I gather that some are way better experiences than others, based on the "hateful" reference?

Going to Glasto tomorrow, well excited!

Glasto is great because there is something going on all the time, its huge and its all self contained. Most festivals have a central area separate from the camping which requires a ticket check to get in. Alot of festivals also stop the music on the stages at about half 11 and then there is absolutely nothing to do. Its like your having a great party only to be sent home early by your parents and it totally kills the atmosphere.

Glasto is also incredibly annoying cos its so big. It takes ages to get anywhere cos there are so many people about and the inevitable mud. Bestivals a great little festival that manages to successfully create an atmosphere, have a varied and interesting program whilst not being too big. Shame I won't be there this year, but I've got a very expensive summer ahead of me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:24 am 

you can get an hour-long taste of the coachella dvd here:

http://www.urb.com/media/videos/?VideoId=39

(the video gets better about 10 minutes in, as that's when the editor had more clips to work with.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:40 am 

:D Thanks heaps for the Daft Punk info Riko. Just waiting for an opportunity now to listen/watch/download!

Look forward to a Glasto review from the odg as well - you lucky sod!

Cheers!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:43 pm 

that little melody in the begining (like the first 20-30 sec.).. anyone know where that's from? Me and a friend are like 99% sure it's from some old sci-fi movie, anyone got a clue? :)

edit: never mind, he just rememberd that it was from "Close Encounters of the Third Kind"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUcOaGawIW0
thanks anyway :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:10 pm 

Btw. anyone who happen to have a mp3 version of this one (the daft punk concert not the melody from the movie ;D)? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:14 am 

[ ]

Last edited by TIME_IS_IN_LOVE on Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:27 am 

TIME_IS_IN_LOVE wrote:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PQ69BJP8

thats the DP coachella set

much appreciated, thanks :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:44 pm 

also:

http://sashasretroemporium.blogspot.com ... -2007.html

sound quality is not as good as the coachella mp3. set list seems similar?

also: not sure who first posted a link here to sashasretroemporium, but thank you! i've downloaded some nice stuff off there.

New Topic Post Reply  [ 16 posts ]