[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - With My Baby - Why was it removed from SILY?
The Avalanches

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: With My Baby - Why was it removed from SILY?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:01 pm 

"With My Baby" was originally track three of Since I Left You, right after "Stay Another Season" and right before "Radio". This, we know.

Does anybody know why it was removed from the album? Has anyone ever heard anything about this from the group members themselves, maybe?

I'm inclined to believe it was removed for legal reasons, much like the "younger than springtime" samples. Now this is only a guess, but perhaps they anticipated some major overseas clearance issues with some of the samples, resulting in the track being relegated to a b-side on an Australian-only CD-single.

I have a hard time believing that it was removed for artistic purposes.

So has anything ever been said about what happened there?

Post subject: Re: With My Baby - Why was it removed from SILY?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:55 am 

I thought the same of Undersea Community. Probably between Frontier... and Etoh.

It might have been cut for time. Its Liam Howletts first submission of Jilted was too long to fit on a CD, so One Love got trimmed and We Eat Rhythm was dropped entirely. (But you can hear that from a Select Magazine cover tape if you dig around :)

I've no idea why it really didn't make it. Maybe in the re-issue?

Perhaps we could start spotting the samples that *aren't* there :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:42 am 

edocronian wrote:
It might have been cut for time. Its Liam Howletts first submission of Jilted was too long to fit on a CD, so One Love got trimmed and We Eat Rhythm was dropped entirely.

That might make sense if the album was having trouble fitting onto a CD in the first place, but even with "With My Baby" included, the album clocks in at about 66 minutes which is well under the 80 minute time limit imposed by CDs.

So, yeah, I'm stumped, though I still strongly suspect that there were legal issues involving some integral samples used in the song that may have had a lot to do with its removal from the album.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:58 am 

I didn't think to check the runtime of SILY before I posted :D

One that I don't hear mentioned often is the "bad" version of Frontier... where all the Wayne and Shuster samples have been re-voiced. Its on my UK 12" pressing (and probably others), but it was the original when it came out as a single here.

Its pretty jarring to listen to, especially as they left in (as far as I can tell) the scratches and re-dubbed the recognisable parts.

Its a shame that this sort of thing has to happen to get a release out of the door.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 am 

edocronian wrote:
I didn't think to check the runtime of SILY before I posted :D

One that I don't hear mentioned often is the "bad" version of Frontier... where all the Wayne and Shuster samples have been re-voiced. Its on my UK 12" pressing (and probably others), but it was the original when it came out as a single here.

Its pretty jarring to listen to, especially as they left in (as far as I can tell) the scratches and re-dubbed the recognisable parts.

Its a shame that this sort of thing has to happen to get a release out of the door.

As someone who has unfortunately listened to it, I can confirm that it's pretty bad...

New Topic Post Reply  [ 5 posts ]