[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /viewtopic.php on line 988: getdate(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected the timezone 'UTC' for now, but please set date.timezone to select your timezone.
www.theavalanches.com • View topic - Floatin' my boat...
The Avalanches

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:15 pm 

okay

bringing this one back to the top of the list:

These are new to my collection

Fujiya & Miyagi - transparent thing; loving the understated electro thing that these guys do....also love that the names are made up and someone is ampersand!

Bellrays - Hard sweet and sticky; a bit more chilled than previous albums, but lisa kekaula still freaking wails....liking this

LCD soundsystem - Late on the bandwagon but is getting a fair run

Stuart A Staples - Leaving songs; singer from tindersticks doing late night loveliness......his voice is so great

Isobel Campbell Mark Lanegan - Ballad of the Broken seas; another late arrival, and ome songs are tops whilst others are a bit m'eh, but the album is more good than bad.

amp fiddler - afro strut; saw him live a few years ago which was great and smooth, but this is my first album of his.....I like it. goes okay.

And live saw Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and their soul/funk set was unreal. have not seen a crowd go so nuts....

golden plains this weekend which should be tops (www.goldenplains.com.au)

ween will be interesting and also keen to see optimo, and kid koala and so many more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:46 am 

while we're at it, this year so far i've been listening to:

hot chip - made in the dark (best album of the year so far)
foals - antidotes (uk indie)
cloud cult - feel good ghosts (only just started listening to this in the past week and it seems like a grower but a good one)
sebastian tellier - sexuality (lovely future sounds)
whomadewho - teaser (anticipating a cracking album from them this year, seeing them tmrw nite in sydney)

Post subject: this month i have been mostly listening to
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 pm 

alligator and boxer albums the national

both absolutely awesome and both the very definition of the term 'grower'. d/l boxer in august last year and thought it was ok but that was about it. gave it another go after seeing it do well in the end of the year polls and haven't looked back since.

beautiful rock music well worth persevering with

stainless style neon neon

brilliant side project from gruff rhys (super furry animals) & boom bip. definite 80s vibe to the whole thing and also featuring contributions from spank rock and fat lip.

hold on now, youngster los campesinos!

great debut album overflowing with exuberance & enthusiasm. won't be to everyone's tastes but definitely recommended

other recommendations include:

vampire weekend vampire weekend

lucky nada surf

oracular spectacular mgmt

when the deer wore blue figurines

here comes the wind envelopes

devotion beach house

also recently got the new erykah badu album which sounded pretty good on first listen but haven't given it enough time yet to form a proper opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 am 

Enjoying a whole raft of things, including:

Blitzen Trapper - Wild Mountain Nation

Midnight Juggernauts - Dystopia

Cut Copy - Hearts On Fire (Joakim remix) (free from Modular too!) and Lights and Music - looking forward to the album later this month.

Faker - This Heart Attack (Grafton Primary mix) - think 80s 80s 80s!

and Faker's album Be The Twilight as well - I've been a bit slow getting into them but been a great way to start 2008, ditto for The Panics who I have finally listened to properly after getting the album last year.

Black Kids - I'm Not Going Teach Your Boyfriend How To Dance With You. Looking forward to seeing what they come up with from here.

The E.L.F - Stuck In The Vanilla (love a mash-up and Steelers' Wheel, Vanilla Ice, Public Enemy etc do it nicely)

Burial - Unite - friend in UK sent me this track to listen to and I admit to be intrigued. Interested in what other folks on the board reckon about Burial and dub-step.

And on TV, bouquets and brickbats to the ABC.

The "Life on Mars series 2" and "Soul Deep" combo on Thursday nights is my must see of the week.

But have missed the first four episodes of Ken Burns' latest "The War" which the dills at the ABC thought was best suited to a 2pm slot on a Sunday. :x [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:41 pm 

reaally appreciatin' the o'jays' black stabbers 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 am 

som do paulinho: baiano&os novos caetanos,
real nice brasil stuff
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:57 am 

Found this song the other day. My electric Cardigan - home for tigers.
I Really like it.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =138887071

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:56 pm 

Alphabeat - Fascination

Brilliantly pop, totally 80s, this should put a smile on most people's faces.

Portishead - Third

Better than anyone can have hoped. Not more of the same, yet totally a Portishead album, it's dark, sinister and has banjos. Perfect.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

Not uniformly brilliant, but fun nonetheless. Time to Pretend and Kids are both brilliant though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 pm 

goldfish wrote:
Alphabeat - Fascination

Brilliantly pop, totally 80s, this should put a smile on most people's faces.

Been looking out for this - has it leaked already then? Only heard one of the singles on MTV2 and quite liked it - will check out the rest now.

I'm quite enjoying Hercules and Love Affair's self titled debut on the DFA label at the moment. There's a review from pitchfork here

Also been very much enjoying Galactic's From The Corner To The Block which is a big funky party hip hop record featuring loads of guest rappers including the likes of Lyrics Born, Gift Of The Gab, Chali 2Na, Mr Lif and Lateef The Truth Speaker. If you like any of the Solesides/Quannum stuff you should definitely check this out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:24 pm 

Oh and Elbow's new one The Seldom Seen Kid is simply superb but then I'm a big fan of Mr Garvey & Co. Think it's probably their best album to date but know it won't be everyone's cup of tea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:25 am 

The Royal Tenenbaums OST
8)

Post subject: Quiet Village
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:38 am 

Quiet Village - Silent Movie

The closest thing to The Avalanches this year (a little more straightforward, a tad more mellow)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:23 am 

Nice Guy Eddie wrote:
SixShooterSam wrote:
and the clark's ted EP was amazing.

Yeah the bibio remix is great...

are you SEEEEERIOUS

this sounds incredible

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:26 am 

The Teenagers - i like their remixes better than their original stuff, but its all good!

I have been going back to old school Tricky...remember "Christiansands"?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:38 pm 

Crystal Castles self-titled album is pretty damn good. An excellent electro album with a diverse range of songs. Should get a fair bit of listening time out of it.

Also just started listening to The Emperor Machine, which is well worth a listen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:54 am 

Anyone listening to breakbot? Heard one of his songs on triple j the other day, happy rabbit. touring aus supporting pnau. good stuff

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... D=25281081

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:13 am 

wow, some of the suggestions are really great. i was snooping around for new stuff for my spring comp. the bibio mix of clark's ted is ace. thanks!

not much of a surprise - i've been listening to cut copy. a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:43 pm 

Because it's summer and to get away from all the 'will they/won't they' debates, here's a quick update on my summer sounds so far...

Cobra Dukes - Airtight (Aeroplane mix)

Diskjokke - Staying In LP - particularly 'Some Signs are Good' (thanks to Fred Deakin and Bong for uploading on that one...

Life's a Beach - Studio - thanks Matt!

Fleet Foxes - Mykonos - I'm struggling to understand all the fuss about the album, but this, from their previous EP, is really good.

Port O'Brien - I Woke Up Today - very happy, summery sounds from god knows where.

Cut Copy - Lights and Music (Moulinex mix) - electronic cheese.

Zeigeist - The Jade Motel LP - particularly 'Tar Heart' - sounds a bit like The Knife but possibly a bit more 'pop'... big Kate Bush references in Tar Heart too...

Holy Fuck - Lovely Allen (Minotaur Shock mix) - just lush

The Shortwave Set - Replica Sun Machine LP - possibly a bit more conservative than The Debt Collection, but a nice collection of pretty songs, produced by Dangermouse, with Van Dyke Parks and others collaborating... try 'No Social' or 'House of Lies'

Lots of Late of the Pier - really looking forward to the new album; the new versions of Space and the Woods and Focker are splendid.

What else should I be trying...?

Simon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:25 pm 

Ta Simon - always enjoy some new directions to explore. Zeitgist sounds interesting!

That Port O'Brien track is nice and poppy and has been getting some good airplay on JJJ. They're from Oakland but the songs I've heard so far make me think they should be based somewhere like Newfoundland!

Here's 5 tracks that I'm listening to:

Pork n Beans - Weezer (always good for a smile)
We're Through - James Pants (US multi-instrumentalist - this is a slice of sulky electronica, but it's catchy!)
Small Planet - Ferraby Lionheart (I'll admit it, a bit like when I go to the race track, I'm drawn to the eye-catching name. Only heard this song so far so not sure if I've backed a winner just yet)
Jimmy Recard - Drapht (A WA rapper who has made a very funny little track)
Me and Julio Down By The Schoolyard - Jesse Malin (I do like a cover version and this is pretty lively)

And an album:

Freedom Wind - The Explorers Club (once I got past thinking about A Mighty Wind, this was ideal to conjure up The Beach Boys. It's virtually a pastiche, but hey, it's fun to play while the winter sun is beaming into the office). :wink:

Have also just started listening online to bits and pieces of the new release by Girl Talk - more mash-ups and the like - much like Night Ripper at first listen but need to hear it a few times. Anyone else formed an opinion on this?

Cheers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:48 am 
Site Admin

Lately I've been liking -

Albums

Brian Blade & The Fellowship Band - Season Of Change

The Hold Steady - Stay Positive

Thomas Dolby - The Flat Earth (loved his first record but didn't really get this one for quite a while.... am starting to think it's almost as good).

Alphabeat - S/T

Shows

Sean Kuti & Egypt 80
Los Campesinos!
Kanye West

New Topic Post Reply  [ 241 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 13  Next