It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: the year in review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:41 am 

merry new year guys. I figure this is the time for reflection on all things grand, and things less than grand. In the tradition of the hysterical music press I propose a best of/worst of list. The categories are

1) best album

2) best song

3) best artist

4) best movie

5) best live music experience (includes dj sets)

6) best new act

7) most disappointing album

8 ) most annoying song

9) best piece of random knowledge

I'm curious to find out what you all reckon. Feel free to make up any other categories

Hope you have had a great year

sal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 pm 

Easy - Daft Punk at Coachella

the others, not so easy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:33 pm 

Hmmm . . . thinking music needed for this.

Will get back to you!

Post subject: Re: the year in review
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:09 pm 

1) best album

j dilla - donuts.
not just because of what happened, which was tragic, but because it's a great, great album. it reminds me lots of sily actually...

2) best song

the roots - don't feel right.
great album too.

3) best artist

j dilla again - he released two great albums this year.

4) best movie

marie antoinette. i like sophia coppola's films. i like kirsten dunst's everything. i liked this film, lots.

ryan adams, a few months ago. the perfect balance between self indulgence and entertainment, it was the best gig i've ever been to.

6) best new act

CSS - CSS

DJ Shadow - The Outsider. A horrible mess.

8 ) most annoying song

the one about detroit/putting your hands up.

this year i discovered prince. most people's favourite colour is red. you can legally download the madlib / talib kweli ep for free here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:18 pm 

1) best album

neko case - fox confessor brings the flood. This is winning at the moment but is a day to day situation. Lots of good music

2) best song

gotye - learnalilgivinanlovin. reminds of go team! without being too much. Have yet to see it used in a set, but would go nuts

3) best artist

bellrays - oh man lisa kekaula is amazing.

4) best movie

broken flowers - I think this was this year.....but I liked it a lot

too many this year

bellrays - great northern in Byron....as a support act blew the place apart and backed it up in Melbourne with some amazing performances too (from all reports).

jose gonzalez - splendour in the grass....just sublime

the avalanches - splendour in the grass....a cranking set. Bon Jovi aplenty. crowded tent going mental

James Brown - good vibrations Melbourne...very glad I got to see this...if not to only imagine how good it would have been in the heyday, and to see the show. An amazing band

cornelius - hifi....most amazing show and visual synch I've seen. Truly a bunch of crazy cats

soundtrack of our lives (acoustic) - the tote...one of those gigs that'll be talked about forever.....they played a total of 3.5 hours and were tremendous

6) best new act

probably gotye for me, but a melbourne guy, faux pas, has been impressive

probably yo la tengo - prisoners of love...technically from last year, but I got it this year. I had heard great things about this band, but am not really into it. Just happens

8 ) most annoying song

anything idol related. You just know it is a piece of crap and the poor person singing it is not going to go far or for long, but their management team will be having a great time

2 quotes I suppose got me recently

"Cliches are precisely what one turns to when thinking gets too hard but you can't stop talking" Martin Krygier, The Usual Suspects; The Monthly

"....once you are on a certain trajectory, the world colludes to keep you on it" Robyn Davidson, QE: No Fixed Address; Nomads and the fate of the planet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:54 pm 

1) best album: Gnarles Barkly – St Elsewhere

2) best song: Lupe Fiasco - Daydreamin

3) best artist: Dangermouse (still!)

4) best movie: Broken Flowers (I swear I’m not copying you s.a.l.)

5) best live music experience (includes dj sets): Splendour in the Grass – The Presets, The Avalanches, DJ Shadow (despite video malfunction at the start of the set), The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

6) best new act: Lily Allen/Gotye

7) most disappointing album: that dj set that never surfaced… who was that again? (The gig was too damn good!)

8 ) most annoying song: anything by the rouge traders

9) best piece of random knowledge: it’ll be ready when it’s ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:30 pm 

1) best album - Writers Block - Peter, Bjorn and John, by a nose from Like Drawing Blood by Goyte and Gravity Gets You High by The Grates.

2) best song - Roscoe - Midlake, just nosing out Shadows by the Midnight Juggernauts and Could We by Cat Power.

3) best artist - Peter, Bjorn and John

4) best movie - see below in terms of getting out - only saw Cars (which was enjoyable)!

(But on the home viewing front, series 7 of The West Wing lived up to expectations on DVD, I finally got to the see the last series of Oz on SBS and enjoyed in equal measures The Office (US) version and Extras on ABC)

5) best live music experience (includes dj sets) - Lean year on the live music front due to latest addition to the family so best experience was a struck match between The Grates, The Magic Numbers and 2 Many DJs at the 2006 Big Day Out.

6) best new act - New in that I heard them all for the first time in 06 - The Hold Steady, The Grates, Midlake, The Pipettes and The Russian Futurists.

7) most disappointing album - Left pretty cold by DJ Shadow's effort and until about a month ago, Personality by The Sleepy Jackson was looking good for this honour. But had another good listen during a long drive and it seemed to be a different album - have kept it close since then.

8 ) most annoying song? Anything by Fergie . . . lumps indeed.

9) best piece of random knowledge? That you can sing the lyrics of Advance Australia Fair to the theme of Gilligan's Island. (Doesn't really work the other way though!)

New Topic Post Reply  [ 7 posts ]